Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2015, 08:36 PM   #101

Does it really matter??
BigMac8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 08:50 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac8253 View Post
Does it really matter??
No, but we have to have something to argue about!
2012:1042/13 2013:2772/27
2014:2259/30 2015:1644/20
2016:1278/23 2017:2183/22
indybp57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 08:56 PM   #103
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by indybp57 View Post
No, but we have to have something to argue about!
Its been a looooooong winter!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 08:57 PM   #104

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Gorving.ca just launched a TV Campaign. Bring Back Wildhood. Targetting Family Campers and RV Camping in particular. Well done an talks about just getting out camping.

Bring back Wildhood - Go RVing Canada
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:58 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen1971 View Post
After reading all the posts on this one, I think everyone has one main goal with their version of camping - to enjoy it! No matter what your style of camping is, make sure that you take the time and enjoy the scenery and don't take it for granted.. Also make sure that your activities don't hinder the enjoyment of others around you...

One other thing I read in several posts was the poster's reflection on where they started camping with their parents or when they were young.. The only thing I'd have to say, is make sure that we aren't taking those experiences away from kids... So that they have stories of their own to share with their kids.. If they want to stay in a tent instead of the TT or motorhome, bring it along and encourage it.. If they want to try and start the fire, show them and let them try... If it isn't warm enough to toast a marshmellow, let them work at it to make it bigger.. How will they learn without trying it first? Let them explore.. Explore and share the experiences with them to the best of your ability..

As a friend of mine told me one day:
Your kids are only young once and you have to make the most of it... It won't be long and they'll want to do their own things.. If we, as parents, don't encourage camping and enjoying the outdoors, how will they know about it as young adults?
glen1971, I have to say I agree 100%. I have an 8 and 5 year old who we take camping with us as often as we can get away. On a recent trip, I pulled out a magnesium striker and show my 8-yr old how to start the fire with it and some lint from the dryer to get some newspaper and kindling going. My wife asked why didn't I just use the lighter? I thought "How will he ever know how to light a fire without a lighter if I don't show him?" And also, it's just cool to watch the magnesium spark into a fire... he loved it!
TrailAir Rota-Flex Pin Box
Dan'l Boone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 02:04 PM   #106
Explorer

Is it camping, yes I believe so
I use my camper different than some; I have a rule: if you’re not using the bathroom, cooking or sleeping, GET OUTSIDE! Now we break those rules when its raining, over 90+deg or over abundance of biting bugs…..
I bought a simple camper on purpose, no slide-out, no tv, an adequate cooking area, large fridge, comfy beds, “our own” bathroom and plenty of storage(if there could ever be enough storage). I even try to use solar, to cut out noise pollution with the generator. The “place” we are visiting is outside, go out and enjoy and when we’re tired of this area we’ll move on.
We camp maybe 80plus days a year and it seems to work for us.
I very much dislike those individuals with outside entertainment systems who have the volume up high enough to share with half the campground and then they have to yell to talk to each other. Even some inside system are abusive to others.
When the kids leave and we go full time it will be different, maybe we’ll call it, living in camping areas. We’ll need slides, indoor entertainment center a few extra amenities.
Enjoy
43yrs of camping; one lucky guy
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 02:21 PM   #107

"I very much dislike those individuals with outside entertainment systems who have the volume up high enough to share with half the campground and then they have to yell to talk to each other. Even some inside system are abusive to others".....I fully agree with your statement YoungKopernik...sometimes, many years ago, while dry camping in the bush, I used to yell at the kids to be quiet and listen. They used to ask, listen to what and then I would say, the forest....
Pipeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 02:28 PM   #108

I am in a pop up and I too feel like I am cheating the camping gods of old. My pop up has many of the amenities as the OP and I definitely feel like I am Glamping. The hardsider's most likely look at me in my pop up and say that is camping but with all the options and amenities now, it sure makes me feel a bit guilty using the word camping.

I would not trade it for the world though. I love to get away in my own little summer cottage on wheels. Besides. I am too old to be sleeping on a tree root.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 02:53 PM   #109
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Is that the difference between "Camping" and "RVing"?
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 06:13 AM   #110

We have some non camper friends that love to tell us that what we call camping (in our fiver) is not camping. My standard response is we are not going to get back to nature, we are just going. And it matters not how far or close as we have a nice county campground 7 miles from home that we use, it changing the zip code. And sometimes all you need is that weekend away to remind yourselves how lucky we are to be together as a family making memories and being together. It seems like we are gonna be like this forever, but in reality our twins are already 10 how much longer do we really have them all to ourselves I wouldn't trade a minute of this precious time in our "camper" for a few nights in a hotel. Watching the kids laugh and run with new friends and friends we bring while sitting by the fire in the evenings having a drink and a cigar...try that in your hotel!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Aca651 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 07:48 AM   #111

Everyone has their own definitions of anything..... now a pound sign has become a hash tag (what ever that is). Our lifestyles are very different & that's a good thing. The some getting groceries at a different grocery store is roughing it, to some of our friends growing their vegetables, hunting & raising their meat, milking their goats for milk and making their soap is normal to others it is unheard of .

Camping is the same....... bottom line have fun with your family, your kids grow fast, ours are 26 & 30 years old and still camp with us, We have a nearly 2 year old grandson He has been going since he only a couple of months old....... Bottom line is to have fun, and relax, life is too short. Would not trade it for anything & yes we call it camping.... we have reservations at a 900 site Campground this summer that has called its self a Campground since 1971.

Our first camper was a 1973 Terry .............. Why did they rename the pound sign hash tag anyway it still the pound sign to me .......I guess it's all in a name.....

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 11:05 AM   #112
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aca651 View Post
We have some non camper friends that love to tell us that what we call camping (in our fiver) is not camping. My standard response is we are not going to get back to nature, we are just going. And it matters not how far or close as we have a nice county campground 7 miles from home that we use, it changing the zip code. And sometimes all you need is that weekend away to remind yourselves how lucky we are to be together as a family making memories and being together. It seems like we are gonna be like this forever, but in reality our twins are already 10 how much longer do we really have them all to ourselves I wouldn't trade a minute of this precious time in our "camper" for a few nights in a hotel. Watching the kids laugh and run with new friends and friends we bring while sitting by the fire in the evenings having a drink and a cigar...try that in your hotel!

Wellyou know, when people don't get it, they just don't get it. Save your breath, tell him what we think it's camping and let it go.
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 11:28 AM   #113
Wait till next year...

Suffered through 90 degree days on an open tent site in Maine,woke up to 3 inches of water IN the tent on the Cape so I've "camped". Looking forward to not can!ping in our sunseeker
2023 Geo Pro FD19 "Almost there"
2022 Race Car Red HR Long Ford Transit 250 "The Iwish Roamer"
n-e-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 12:04 PM   #114

My thoughts on our TT. No matter where the road takes us, at the end of the day we're always home.

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4 x 4
6.4 Hemi 410 HP, 410 Rear Axle
gashog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 01:24 PM   #115

I like to think of it as age appropriate camping. When I was young my back could take tenting but my wallet could not handle RVing. Now its just the other way around.

2004 Ford F550 6l Lariat SuperCrew, Fontaine Bed,
Link Systems Air Ride
2011 Sterling 32RL with Michelin XPS tires
extremebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 01:29 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aca651 View Post

Very well said. I go to hotels and never meet a sole. I go camping and everyone is walking around talking to everyone. it is great. The kids make lots of play friends and as you mentioned. Sitting by the fire at night is priceless.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
Old 03-16-2015, 01:31 PM   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremebike View Post
I like to think of it as age appropriate camping. When I was young my back could take tenting but my wallet could not handle RVing. Now its just the other way around.
lol. That is so true my friend.

2015 HW296
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
Old 03-16-2015, 10:26 PM   #118

"Is it really camping?"

Kind of reminds me of my friends and family who drive Wranglers who like to point out that our Commander "isn't a Jeep." I'm like, OK, if that's what you think.

If you worry about justifying your decisions to everyone you'll have a miserable life. So I just try to carve out my spot in the world and enjoy it despite everyone.
Backcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:53 PM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
Bottom line is to have fun, and relax, life is too short.
Pretty much sums it up for me!

I've done tent camping, hammock camping, and popup camping thus far. Can't wait to pull the new fiver home in two weeks and try the next step.

Though the goal is still the same as Oaklevel said. Have good times with the wife, old friends, and make new ones along the way, while having somewhere comfortable to sleep.
2016 Nights camped 5
ferguson65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:14 PM   #120
Moderator Emeritus

When I deployed to Saudi Arabia, in the early-winter of 1990, we based out of Riyadh but I was soon sent up near the border of Iraq to support the Army and Marines who were waiting for the word to start the ground offensive. (I was a Sr. Intel Analyst)
Anyway, when me and the other five analysts arrived, we were given spots in a huge tent in tent city and, when we lugged our gear in, I raised my hands and said, "Boys, we're camping in the desert!!"
Lots of scorpions (the mean black kind) but, thankfully, never saw any snakes. And the wild cats who hung around the garbage bins were always a good scare when you opened the door and they would scream and jump out.
And Air Force survival schools were always fun "camping" trips. My favorite was arctic survival school in Fairbanks, Alaska (in January) where we learned how to dig down to the earth, make a snow pit, and then get naked before jumping into the sleeping back. (If you don't get naked the bag won't reflect your body heat back.)
Aw, fun military memories!!
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping