Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2015, 03:37 PM   #1

Is it really Camping?

Just read a blog on here about a nice gal who purchased a Scampy to deal with her mid life crisis. It got me thinking, are we REALLY camping? My wife says it's more like Glamping....but heck even that involves a tent. In my younger years I camped with the Boy Scouts, everything we needed in a back pack. The food and supplies into the wannigan (Big wooden box). Cooked over an open fire for every meal. 2 boys to a tent and it always rained, unless it was snowing then it rained after it snowed. But I digress. That was camping.

Today, I spend my weekends in a 33 foot travel travel trailer with a lake view. I have a full size queen bed, a hot shower, and a flush toilet. Instead of a wannigan I have a range, oven, microwave and a gas grill. A full kitchen, refrigerator, a recliner, a sofa and a dining table. I have 3 TV's yes 3! Living-room, bedroom and outside, complete with surround sound. I have heat and I have air conditioning. Does this sound like camping?

I am no longer going camping. You can call it what you want, but from now on I am going to the Lake House! Now if I can just find the dutch oven and the charcoal starter....

Have a great season ya'll.....

Dave
2014 Puma 30RKSS
David 01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 03:42 PM   #2

There's a reason I call my travel trailer "The Summer Cottage"

I tell people all the time - the only reason I can call what we do "camping" is because the places I park it for the weekends have "Campground" on the signs out front.

cdangel0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 03:52 PM   #3

I have been told "You don't go camping! You run away from Home" personally I call it my condo on wheels. What ever you call it just

The Home of the FREE because of the BRAVE
LittlePM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 03:53 PM   #4
Average Joe

"Camping" is that lie I tell myself so I can ignore the obvious. I'm not into sleeping on the ground in the rain. Trying to set fire to wet wood just to get warm and make coffee is not on my wish list any longer. I romanticize about "camping" as it was done in my youth, but no longer have the physical ability or desire to put in the work.

Maybe "RVing" is more like it? Or in my case, "Motorhoming"..... Nah, Camping sounds cooler

Southern Maryland and Beyond!

MrJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 03:57 PM   #5

Those who make the remark on a back handed fashion or pure old fashion jealously I have a simple response, Not going is not camping.

For those such as this discussion and among freinds, I call what I do mobile living.
Old 03-04-2015, 03:59 PM   #6

We call ours "home" cuz dats where we live 365!
Old 03-04-2015, 03:59 PM   #7

I have lived out of a backpack and slept in a tent more night than a bed.

As I have gotten older I apperciate my Queen sized bed when I roll out of it.

I am still camping, its just alot easier and have more creature comforts. Some people may not leave thier trailers when they camp, but when our camper is out, we sleep in it, sometimes cook in it (50/50) and use it for storage. Otherwise we are outside. Unless its raining, i am sitting by a campfire with a drink in my hand.

It boils down to how you use yours. I know that we won't have hot showers and all the perks of full hook ups when we go to RMNP in June, but I am very excited about going there.

Also, camper allows me to go to Bear country... Wife is adamant that she will never sleep in a tent in Bear country again. So that rules out alot of great parks out west.
Old 03-04-2015, 04:03 PM   #8

So! What is your point? We love it no matter what you call it.

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 04:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdangel0 View Post
There's a reason I call my travel trailer "The Summer Cottage"

I tell people all the time - the only reason I can call what we do "camping" is because the places I park it for the weekends have "Campground" on the signs out front.
x2
2014 Wildwood 231RBXL - Traded Her In
2016 Days Camped = 5; Reserved = 14 so far
2015 Days Camped = 24 / 2014 Days Camped = 23
Mrs Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 04:04 PM   #10

Per Google:

camping
noun
noun: camping
  1. the activity spending a vacation living in a camp, tent, or camper.
    "visitors can go camping in the vast wilderness surrounding the mountains"

So, yes, we are camping. Issue settled.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 04:19 PM   #11
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

I don't go camping I now go living and seeing.....
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 04:28 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I call my old tt and now my fiver a hotel on wheels. So I guess we upgraded to the luxury suite when we left the 30 ft bunk house model tt for the current 40' rear entertainment fiver.
asquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 04:41 PM   #13

We are on our third fifth wheel

We have had two truck campers, one popup and a small bumper pull but those were ALL used for DH hunting trips - no way I was going to stay in any of those even at home in the driveway !

First one had one slide out, second one we went to fiberglass exterior with two slides and fireplace - now we have three slides, fireplace, slide toppers, electric awning and level up system !

Can't wait till we upgrade the next time - have seen some with six slides now ....oh my !!!

Yes it is still camping 😃
heavynlori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 04:49 PM   #14

Mobile Motel Room/With Kitchen! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 04:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavynlori View Post
We are on our third fifth wheel

We have had two truck campers, one popup and a small bumper pull but those were ALL used for DH hunting trips - no way I was going to stay in any of those even at home in the driveway !

First one had one slide out, second one we went to fiberglass exterior with two slides and fireplace - now we have three slides, fireplace, slide toppers, electric awning and level up system !

Can't wait till we upgrade the next time - have seen some with six slides now ....oh my !!!

Yes it is still camping ��
Old 03-04-2015, 04:50 PM   #16

As long as I have been camping in my life, from ground, to back of car, to slide in truck unit, to TT, to TH, to now 5er, it seems to me to only say ENJOY IT ALL !!!
We do enjoy it.
Jester

2012 Super Crew 4WD 6.7 PSD
2015 Cardinal 3800 FL
2007 Road King Black Cherry-Hers
2007 Road King Blue-Mine
1979 FXS Hot Rod Shovelhead
Jestercyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 04:50 PM   #17

we have done everything from sleeping in tipi for rendezvousing , wall tents and wedge tents to motorhome, 2 fifth wheels, TT, 3 pop ups, after back surgery sleeping in a bed feels much better than sleeping on the round. still love to cook over the open fire, but when it is raining love the stove inside dry,,, done the outhouse in the frost prefer dry bottom and warm in the restroom, had a friend that said roughing it was camping with a black and white tv.... may be getting a little older maybe a little wiser, but being comfy is a little nicer, but what ever time with family making memories and teaching the grandkids about the outdoors and respect for nature is all worth it no matter what your camping in.....enjoy have fun make memories.
Button is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 04:53 PM   #18
(Dry Huunday)

Well its official now. Spring is long long looong over due because when we now are having discussions on what to call "Camping"!

Call it what you want....but We all NEED to go "Camping"!!!

So lets just and go!!!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 04:55 PM   #19

I find it funny, a good friend of mine calls it wussy camping (Well, a more colorful version of the word, wussy.) but when we were nearby camping and the storms blew in they had no problem knocking on the door and taking the couch that was offered earlier.

I've slept on the ground with a minimal mat, in tents, in nice tents with nice sleeping bags and have paid my dues. I'm in the woods, cook my dinner outside on a fire and admire nature. When I'm ready to shut off and go to sleep, I do it in my king bed in my camper with climate control. Though once or twice I've fallen asleep in the leather easy chair, don't judge me.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 04:58 PM   #20
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

My wife and I were avid backpackers for over 25 years, 2 person tent, setting up flys out of nylon tarps when it was raining so we could cook over a backpack stove the size of a coffee can. Hiked and average of 8 to 13 miles per day, changing camps almost every day. Dirty, no showers, same clothes for 16 days. Most times didn't see anyone for a week at a time. Truely built a team mentality (she carried the food, I carried the stove and fuel). In our youth, it was a dream. After 55, our old bones just couldn't sleep on the ground anymore, let alone let us get up off the ground!
What we do now in our TT is camping, but in a different paradigm. Is it for everyone to do? NO, but neither is the extreme backpacking we did earlier on in our years.
Is the experience the same? NO it's a different experience. We used to swim in cold mountain streams, now it's in a "cement pond" (to quote J D Clampett).
My point is, things are not the same, and tent camping is not equivelent to RV camping, but it's still the essence of being out.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping