Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2019, 06:14 PM   #1

Is Joining a RV Caravan Tour Worth the Money?

DW and I are hoping to get up into the New England area in the fall and enjoy the foliage and sites. We have just a year of RV experience now and have traveled independently to Yellowstone, Smokey Mtns, and Key West.

Lots of details and time spent chasing park reservations (we always hope to stay in a government park...privates are our Plan B.) We hit some of the tourist sites we pass or stay close to but don't feel like we have to see everything...but sometimes regret we didn't!

Would love to hear from some that have pony'd up and been on a more expensive 3-4 week caravan. (Fantasy RV Tours has something we're looking at, 29 Day Autumn in New England, that is about $7500.)

Thanks for your valued input!

OTR 2024-22 / 2023-29 / 2022-52
2021-51 / 2020-29 / 2019-71 / 2018-49
ArkRVHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 02:19 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArkRVHog View Post
DW and I are hoping to get up into the New England area in the fall and enjoy the foliage and sites. We have just a year of RV experience now and have traveled independently to Yellowstone, Smokey Mtns, and Key West.

Lots of details and time spent chasing park reservations (we always hope to stay in a government park...privates are our Plan B.) We hit some of the tourist sites we pass or stay close to but don't feel like we have to see everything...but sometimes regret we didn't!

Would love to hear from some that have pony'd up and been on a more expensive 3-4 week caravan. (Fantasy RV Tours has something we're looking at, 29 Day Autumn in New England, that is about $7500.)

Thanks for your valued input!
I guess it come down to what is included, that comes out to be 258.00 per day if my math is correct. I have never been on one, but know people who have and enjoyed it. There was a whole group of I think 12 members who want on a 3 month trip to Alaska, not quite sure what was included but I think they all kicked in 5000.00. There are a lot out there, make sure you check them out, and safe travels to you.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:45 AM   #3

Well obviously this is one INDEPENDENT forum group as I got no feedback from anyone that has pony'd up and joined one of these types of tours/caravans!

OTR 2024-22 / 2023-29 / 2022-52
2021-51 / 2020-29 / 2019-71 / 2018-49
ArkRVHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:50 AM   #4

A lot might be like me who have never heard of them.

2014 Grey Wolf 21RR
jd50i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:22 PM   #5

Sort of similar: We participated in the FR sponsored Grand Canyon / Albuquerque rally last fall. Stayed at GC, Meteor Crater, Winslow AZ, Cottonwood NM (had a nice train ride), Gallup, and finally 5 nights at the balloon fiesta where we also visited Sky City and Santa Fe. Was nice to have the arrangements taken care of and would recommend others to take this years version of the rally.
I've also heard from a couple of folks who went on the Maritimes Rally last year - all said it was a great trip (You should be able to read some posts in the thread that was setup for that rally on this site).

As noted, you need to see what is included in a tour, cost, and how that matches your interests and resources.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:24 PM   #6

I've looked at the Fantasy RV tours and some of them look pretty reasonable.

When we were at the Albuquerque Balloon Festival, we were parked across from one of their tours. They provided electricity and 'honey wagons' and a huge hospitality tent where information and meals were served.

Looked at that New England tour and while we can't do it this year, we're considering it for the future.

The fact that you don't have to make reservations, they provide bus tours, and rides like the Mt. Washington Cog Railway appeals to me and might just make it worth the cost.

It is a lot of money and you do have to stick to their schedule. Might be worth it for the comradery.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:29 PM   #7

We do lots of group travel with our local group, usually a week at a time to one destination. We have also looked at longer caravan types and decided against them.
Usually after a week, we are ready to do our own thing, even though we love the group. I suppose we are too used to calling our own shots and don't want to be tied into someone else's schedule.
So, long group caravans just aren't appealing to us.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:38 PM   #8
Always Learning

I haven't done it, but I was talking to a couple of neighbors last year who had done it.

In Albuquerque, we were parked across the street from a big tour group. Everyone I spoke with seemed to really like it.

Later in Brason, my wife and I got talking to a woman who said she's done 2 or 3 of them. She is a solo traveler and finds it comforting to have built-in backup to help her out if something comes up.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:46 PM   #9
Site Team

We dislike organized groups like this.
We prefer to explore on our own. It's the same for overseas travel. We enjoy doing the research and finding places that tour groups bypass. The locals often are surprised that we are Americans, since the tourist groups don't show up there.
So it's the same when we're RVing. We like doing things, at our own pace and we're much cheaper doing the planning.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 12:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
We prefer to explore on our own. It's the same for overseas travel. We enjoy doing the research and finding places that tour groups bypass. The locals often are surprised that we are Americans, since the tourist groups don't show up there.
So it's the same when we're RVing. We like doing things, at our own pace and we're much cheaper doing the planning.
So I guess you have never been on one,

Old 03-21-2019, 01:16 PM   #11

I guess the key word here is Caravan, People Pay All The Time To Meet At A Rally, Just One CG. I have been to many, the main difference is your paying for staying in different CGs over a period time. They are offing tours and planned activities. All included in your entry fee. Many many members pay 650.00 for 5 days at the frog international rally, yes something's are included but tours other then the plant cost. I have been to 5 frog international's. I have a Coachmen planned for My. Rushmore area this year, that rally includes 5 tours 3 meals and a host of other things. The only Difference is that we are not travelling from Area to area as a group. If it has things that you want to do go for it. Look up the reviews on people who has used them. Go have a good time, you will probably meet life long friends..

Old 03-21-2019, 01:31 PM   #12
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
X 2 like being able to go off and do are thing and when we get tired we can head back to camper. Hard to do if on group tours. We also tend to not be out more than 2 to 3 weeks at a time. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 02:34 PM   #13
Broken Toe

I'll just be sitting here watching this one...

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote