Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2013, 09:29 PM   #1

Is methane possible?

Have a 2004 Flagstaff 28RLSS. Recently my propane detector has alarmed even though my tanks are shut off. The rig is stored next to my house, and I have discovered the alarm the last two days, muted it and it continues to alarm.

I think the model of detector I have is a methane detector as well. There is a slight odor that I can't identify, but nothing overwhelming. The black and gray tanks had about 1-2 gallons of water when I last stored it in mid-March. I added 2 gallons of water to each tank yesterday, but that doesn't stop the alarming.

Any ideas?
TeeCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:31 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

It may be alarming due to a low house battery.
See if it stops if you plug it into shore power.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:44 PM   #3

Good thought...ran out and checked, and the it is plugged in and the plugs are tight into my 30 amp outlet and the trailer. I think the odor actually has a bit of a rotten eggs smell...as I said not overwhelming, but seems like something. Is there any system, refrigerant, etc. that could leak and cause not the odor and alarm?
Old 05-10-2013, 09:47 PM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Hmm, no info on your camper (signature or profile) so no idea how old your detector is. They do get "old" and need replacement.

Here is the manual for my detector; it may help.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Propane Detector.pdf (1.41 MB, 38 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:53 PM   #5
Denver, CO

Not likely unless your vents are stopped up, and even then unlikely. Defective monitor most likely. It happens.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeCee View Post
Good thought...ran out and checked, and the it is plugged in and the plugs are tight into my 30 amp outlet and the trailer. I think the odor actually has a bit of a rotten eggs smell...as I said not overwhelming, but seems like something. Is there any system, refrigerant, etc. that could leak and cause not the odor and alarm?
I think Herk was on the right track, if your batteries are gassing while on charge, shore power, one can produce H2SO4 gas, smells like rotten eggs. The propane detector alerts on this gas, part guess here but its happened before.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:56 PM   #7

Thanks Herk, I'll look it over as mine is a CCI pretell 22. I'm not sure if it's OEM as I bought it used about three years ago. I did have the carpets cleaned in it, but that was over three weeks ago.

BTW, I googled CCI yesterday and found out they went out of business, not sure when, so need to look for something comparable.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:01 PM   #8

Vince...I thought about batteries yesterday and they are located in the front storage access of my 5er. I didn't notice any odor when I opened the door and I left it open fora couple hours, as well as the trailer. Closed it up and within 1 hour it was alarming again...dang!
Old 05-10-2013, 10:03 PM   #9

Vince...thinking about it more and I'll pull the batteries tomorrow and vent the rig, and then close it and see what happens...thanks.

And thanks to all for your comments...preciate it...
Old 05-10-2013, 10:04 PM   #10

propane has strict specs that refiners must follow. sulfuric acid is in the batteries obviously. don't forget that #2 can produce methane/ethane. depending on one's diet if any other noxious fumes can be produced and after time, decomposition can wreak havoc on a meter. like deviled eggs after about an hour. sulfur is formed. now that is noxious.
Poppy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:17 PM   #11

Yeah Kyle, got the picture. However, the rig was parked after emptying the tanks almost two months ago, and so I dumped 2 gallons of water into the black tank yesterday. But it didn't seem to,help the odor prob or the alarming. I'd guess it's possible that residues in the tank created a gas and if the water I had in it dried up, it may add up to being the problem. Manybe more water...
Old 05-10-2013, 11:06 PM   #12

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Good possibility of methane---------------

Add water to your "P" traps in your sinks to stop the flow of methane into the RV. After two months of storage, the water in the sinks "P" traps will evaporate making a path for methane gas to enter the RV. Methane is highly explosive and deadly to life. You should crack two windows in your RV for ventilation. One in the front area and one in the back. But make sure you pour water into the "P" traps.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:21 PM   #13

Thanks Daisy, as I mentioned in my OP I put a couple gallon into the gray tank...by pouring water into each drain. Also, as you suggest, I store with partially open windows and vents. Good advise though and appreciated.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:50 PM   #14

The verdict is in, and Vince was correct! It was batteries for whatever reason were venting gases that made their way inside. The detector has a very sensative nose vor many things other than just prpoane and was sending me a message : ). Obviously an abnormal situation, so new Interstates are in my future.