Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2015, 08:52 AM   #1

Is one "better" than the other?

We are looking at a Columbus fifth wheel. A dealer told us they could get one. Turns out they can't. Long story. But he says he can put us in a similar floor plan Cedar Creek for the same price. He claims they are a much better unit. We saw them at the Hershey show and keep looking at the youtube videos and don't see it. The Columbus seems a lot better built and more usable features. For example, the washer/dryer on the Columbus faces into the bedroom. The Cedar creek the W/D face into the closet which means you have to move all the clothes to do laundry. The Columbus has heavy duty hardwood drawers and dove tail joints. The C/C has cheaply made drawers stapled together. The Columbus has 4 steps from outside in, the C/C has 3. So which is supposed to be the better unit? If there is such a thing at this price point. Is it like a Lexus vs. Toyata kind of thing. They both do the same thing but one is "luxury". This looking for an RV is getting mighty confusing.
rblake39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 09:06 AM   #2

I like my Cedar Creek but what I tell everyone is buy what you like

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 09:11 AM   #3

Basically asking in a long winded way is if there is a difference like in the car industry? The salesman is giving us a C/C for the same price as a Columbus. Is this like getting a Lexus for the same price as a Toyata?
Old 09-27-2015, 09:15 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Are the GVWRs the same?

Can you tow the heavier unit with your tow vehicle?

Typically "better" is heavier; and not necessarily "better" for you.

The salesman wants to sell you; he is not your friend.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 09:19 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

No right or wrong answer..."it depends"

But I wouldn't buy anything that I couldn't get into and take a look at...wouldn't do it with a car or an RV.

And, for an RV, definitely wouldn't advise anyone to sign final papers without a thorough and complete walk-through, first.

When we were ready to trade in our 17-footer for something bigger and better, we went through everything from Class-A's to even truck bed campers (and the $20k price tag is shocking for those things!) We visited so many websites and watched so many youtube videos we actually knew more about the trailers than most salespeople we talked to when visiting the dealerships.

We finally selected the Rockwood and I very reluctantly had to trade in my 05 Tacoma for a used Tundra in order to pull it. (But I saved 12K buying a one-year old Tundra instead of new so I was glad to find that.)

Have fun searching...we sure did..and still go watch walkthroughs when people in here talk about their new toys!!
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 09:21 AM   #6

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
You clearly like the Columbus more. In my opinion, you should not "settle" for the Cedar Creek simply because that particular dealer can't get you a Columbus.

I was not there to see/hear the whole story but based on your one post so far, it sounds to me like the dealer is now scrambling to not lose this sale.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 09:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rblake39 View Post
We are looking at a Columbus fifth wheel. A dealer told us they could get one. Turns out they can't. Long story. But he says he can put us in a similar floor plan Cedar Creek for the same price. He claims they are a much better unit. We saw them at the Hershey show and keep looking at the youtube videos and don't see it. The Columbus seems a lot better built and more usable features. For example, the washer/dryer on the Columbus faces into the bedroom. The Cedar creek the W/D face into the closet which means you have to move all the clothes to do laundry. The Columbus has heavy duty hardwood drawers and dove tail joints. The C/C has cheaply made drawers stapled together. The Columbus has 4 steps from outside in, the C/C has 3. So which is supposed to be the better unit? If there is such a thing at this price point. Is it like a Lexus vs. Toyata kind of thing. They both do the same thing but one is "luxury". This looking for an RV is getting mighty confusing.
If the dealer you are using now can NOT get you what YOU WANT, get another dealer.

Settling for someone's idea of what will work for you is asking for a let down IMO.
Old 09-27-2015, 11:04 AM   #8

When we decided to upgrade to a fifth wheel, we looked at different ones both on-line and at dealerships for about three months. We chose what we chose because it had everything we wanted for the price we were willing to pay.

Yea, we could have moved to a higher end one than we chose but we realized (after owning 6 other RV's over 20+ years) that they all have their issues. So we made our decision and have been happy with it.

There are a lot of determining factors that will consider one RV brand better than the other. To me, the key one was "will we be happy with the one we like the best".
Troy, NC
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 11:50 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoRick View Post
No right or wrong answer..."it depends"

But I wouldn't buy anything that I couldn't get into and take a look at...wouldn't do it with a car or an RV.

And, for an RV, definitely wouldn't advise anyone to sign final papers without a thorough and complete walk-through, first.

When we were ready to trade in our 17-footer for something bigger and better, we went through everything from Class-A's to even truck bed campers (and the $20k price tag is shocking for those things!) We visited so many websites and watched so many youtube videos we actually knew more about the trailers than most salespeople we talked to when visiting the dealerships.

We finally selected the Rockwood and I very reluctantly had to trade in my 05 Tacoma for a used Tundra in order to pull it. (But I saved 12K buying a one-year old Tundra instead of new so I was glad to find that.)

Have fun searching...we sure did..and still go watch walkthroughs when people in here talk about their new toys!!
If you were shocked at $20k for a truck camper, I can imagine your surprise when you see one for over $30k.
sfsgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 11:51 AM   #10

Depending on which Columbus and which CC, they could be the same or totally different. I just did a quick search and found several dealers selling the Columbus so I am wondering why your dealer can't get you one. From your post, the Columbus is the fiver that you want so don't compromise or you may regret it later on. Go to a dealer that will give you what you want. Good luck.
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 11:59 AM   #11

If you go with something your really not liking for even small reasons It will bother you for ever. I prefer the Columbus over the cedar creek. Go on the internet and do a search for the Columbus your looking for you can probably find one close buy. This is what I did when I bought my unit.
j free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 12:42 PM   #12

We are 6 weeks into our Columbus 375rl. We are happy with it. Only minor problems so far. Nothing to suffer through a service visit for. Full timing. It does weigh in at12,400 but goes down the road real nice.
6.6 turbo diesel 6-speed Allison transmission
jman63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 12:52 PM   #13
Global Nomad

cedar creek 36ckts

There were two Cedar Creeks at the Hershey show. The Cedar Creek Silverback and the CKTS. The Silverback had 3 entry steps and the CKTS, a higher version of Cedar Creek had 4. I ordered the 36CKTS. I don't know about the washer/dryer as we did not include that in the order.

We have been looking for the last 3 years for our first 5th wheel. We looked at the Columbus in the past, but now I can't recall why we rejected that model.

Most 5th wheel we rejected because the TV did not face the chair or sofa, you had to turn your head to watch. Not for me.
Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 02:09 PM   #14

Thanks everyone. We definitely are buying the Columbus. Not knocking the CC at all. There's an RV out there for everyone. It just didn't suit us. There were things we did like about the CC but not enough to change our minds. And I guess different dealers carry different lines. This one cant order the Columbus from the factory but is trying to find us one "somewhere else" that has the options we want. In the meantime there are 2 other dealers that can get us what we want from the factory. One we have heard some not so good things about and the other is a little more money. Probably gonna spend a little more for the better dealer. At least we hope its the better dealer. Going to find out. Fingers crossed.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:44 PM   #15

It seems like Columbus has the most issues of any Forest River product from what you hear on this site and the Columbus site. I always liked them but you have to look past the goodies and look at the workmanship. Recently I read that there are some management changes going on at Columbus, hopefully they can make it as much a good looking unit as a quality unit. I'm a few years from replacing my unit and would like to stay with Forest river but Grand Design still leads the top of my list.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Big Rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 08:24 PM   #16

Don't forget, the dealer is at least half the decision. The wrong dealer can make the best made trailer the worst decision and vice versa. Research the dealer and then buy what su its your needs and wants the best.
keeprr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 01:41 AM   #17

You may want to call Columbus directly and ask about the floor plan you are interested in. They will tell you if they are still producing it and can even tell you which dealer ordered it.

Columbus along with several other FR brands are going through some growing pains. I understand that Columbus will be moving (or already have moved) out from under the Palomino brand which may mean a significant change in floor plan offerings.

For what it's worth...take your time making your choice...both in the rv and dealer. Both could have lasting effects on the long term quality of ownership. Good luck
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 07:53 AM   #18
DDC

We have been looking at fifth wheels also and really like the Columbus but after taking a factory tour I was turned right off, I just don't want an RV that has been assembled at high speed and that is what I seen at the factory, Columbus appears with a lot of bling that is only skin deep. I took a tour of Cedar Creek also and found it to be built at a better pace with more attention to details not covered up, this of course is just my observations.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 02:23 PM   #19

Anyone happy with their Columbus out there? The Cedar Creek didn't have a ceiling fan which the GF loves. Didn't seem to have a pantry and very limited food storage. At least none we saw in the YouTube videos. And the washer/dryer face the wrong way. Not a big deal unless your full timing and always doing wash. Please someone, tell me something positive.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:42 PM   #20
Global Nomad

The 36ckts has a ceiling fan, 18cu ft refrigerator, king size bed, 46" TV that faces the chairs (more important than the way the washer/dryer face), and plenty of pantry space.
Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote