Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2015, 08:22 PM   #1
RV Vagabond Jerry

Question Is the water filter good enough?

Do you feel that the Forest River water filters do a good enough job purifying the water or do you use a secondary filter for drinking water? If so, what kind and where is it installed?
Jerry Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:30 PM   #2

I thought it would have been good enough for me if it didn't break and flood the camper. Back to the Camco blue on the outside. (I also added a Pur Advanced to the kitchen faucet).
Old 06-16-2015, 08:32 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

We never drink the water from anything except the water jugs that we bring with us. (Our local store has big 3-gallon jugs of mountain spring water that has a spigot and we keep it on the kitchen counter.)
8-year Travel Trailer RVers
2013 Forest River Rockwood Ultra-Lite 2904SS
2014 Toyota Tundra Maxcrew SR-5 TRD 4x4 (with Firestone airbags in the rear)
ColoradoRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:35 PM   #4

The filters do not purify water, they simply filter out sediment.

I have also noted that they do a bang up job of washing out parts of a trailer in a some what messy manor.

Do you plan on drinking it?

If so get one of the PUR quick click filters for the kitchen faucet, you can remove the filter and put it in the sink when on the road so it does not stress test the faucet.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:54 AM   #5

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
We use the factory filter installed in-line under the bathroom sink, and we also added an in-line from WalMart at the hose outside,,,,,to keep the expensive one inside cleaner. It's kind of like installing a pre filter on your ac at your home,,,,to protect the more expensive pleated filter downline. We do it primarily for taste. Last summer when we were up in the San Juan Mountains of Colorado for the summer, it was a must to do it because of all the irom in the water.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 12:17 PM   #6
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

We use a camco sediment filter at the spigot and use a britta filter for drinking, coffee, etc.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
oxcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 12:18 PM   #7

Good water filter

This water filter fits the FR built it and provides good shower flow and protection. Check for best price
Filters fast.com
Rvwaterfilterstore.com

Model: F1Pb (CFB-PB10)
Class: I
Microns: .5
Flow: 3-4 gallons/minute
Life: 6-12 months
Material: fiber block carbon
Notes: Removes cysts, lead and heavy metals, and is naturally resistant to stagnation due to fiber material

$18.95
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 12:43 PM   #8

We use what's OEM. For drinking water, we stick to filling up the gallon size filter jug with PUR water filter. The rest, we don't really care about as we're not ingesting it.
Follow my blog: americanbluestreak.com
donhillphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 12:58 PM   #9

The water filter canisters that are causing the unscrewing issue is the one that uses the KW1 filter (very expensive filter). have not seen any issues for those units that have the CCl-10-CLW filter housing. The CCl-10-CLW filter is the standard 10 inch variety and therefore any 10 inch filter can be installed and is available at HD/L/WM etc.. They are the identical ones used in a whole house filter system. The filters can be as cheap as you want to the more expensive types. All the water going into my coach from shore hookup and from holding tank is filtered through this type filter and I use the filtered water for all water related requirements including drinking (just like home). The filters work just fine for me. Have been using this type set up for over 12 years and have camped from shore to shore with no issues. Just another input.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:02 PM   #10
RV Vagabond Jerry

Smile Reverse Osmosis

I am thinking about getting the best reverse osmosis filter from rvwaterfilterstore.com and installing it under my kitchen sink for drinking/cooking. I dread constantly hauling 5 gallon jugs from stores. Anyone have a better idea?
Jerry Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
The filters do not purify water, they simply filter out sediment.

I have also noted that they do a bang up job of washing out parts of a trailer in a some what messy manor.

Do you plan on drinking it?

If so get one of the PUR quick click filters for the kitchen faucet, you can remove the filter and put it in the sink when on the road so it does not stress test the faucet.
Purified water is water that has been mechanically filtered or processed to remove impurities and make it suitable for use.

That’s what the FR filters do. They also contain carbon which absorbs some impurities.
4WD SRW Diesel
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:06 PM   #12

http://amzn.com/B00009LHZH
Follow my blog: americanbluestreak.com
donhillphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:23 PM   #13
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Britta, reusable, & relatively inexpensive.
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
Old 06-17-2015, 01:30 PM   #14

Water Filters

As posted above, the majority of filters are only for filtering particulate matter. They do NOT sanitize or sterilize water. double filtering is a good idea, and I use the blue one in most situations.
There are some pretty fancy double rigger large filters, using pleated filters and carbon, but that is a matter of size, not sterility.
A RO system sounds nice, however, it is a constant drain on power (while filtering) and dumps at least half of all water run through it, to obtain RO water in the reservoir. some dump up to 3/4 of the water (3/4 of a gallon for every quart stored). so dry camping would rule the usefulness of that out right away.
I carry 5 gallons per week for cooking, and use a sanitized tank (processed myself with bleach, etc) full for washing bodies, teeth, and dishes.
We refill using 5 gallon jugs that we haul when dry camping. When plugged in we don't use city water, private systems, (some parks draw from the lake! like the Military Camps at Canyon Lake, near San Antonio) for drinking, ever. We still use bottled RO water for drinking, no matter what.
hankpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:31 PM   #15

I removed mine from under the sink, and installed a bracket on the outside of the trailer. The bracket it hung on under the sink slips into the bracket on the trailer. I've worked in a couple of the "water purifying" plants, and they just take city water and filter it, and bottle it. If you are careful with sanitizing everything, and use the right filter cartridges, your water is just as good, if not better, than bottled water you're paying a premium for.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:46 PM   #16

In general we use no filters....... but I drink from the creek on the farm as well .......... Don't even remember filters being available in the 70s .......

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 02:28 PM   #17
Boss Ox & Drovergirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
In general we use no filters....... but I drink from the creek on the farm as well .......... Don't even remember filters being available in the 70s .......

That's 1870's right?
1992 Goldwing Aspencade
Old 06-17-2015, 03:25 PM   #18

Ya..... In over 30 years of camping we have never owned a camper with a built in filter tried an in line filter part of a season ..... Trashed it and back to using none.........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 03:42 PM   #19
Site Team

The water in our CG has A LOT of sulfur in it. We have to bleach our lines 2-3 times a year or else the whole thing smells like rotten eggs whenever we run water.

I don't even like washing my hands with it much less even thinking about drinking it.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 09:44 PM   #20

Here is what we do for potable water! In the evening before bedtime my wife takes a 10 liter (approx) stock pot and fills it with the campground water places it on the stove and boils it for 10 minutes. Turn the stove off, place a lid on the pot and leave it till morning. In the morning you will notice (maybe) a sediment at the bottom of the pot. Carefully decant the water without disturbing the sediment through a brita water filter. You will probably have very clear clean water. Boiling should kill any bacteria and precipitate any turbidity. It works for us! The drawback is a lot of extra heat when you might not want it and propane consumption! Now having said all that we also carry RO water in an 18 liter container however when you run out and too far away from a refillable source the boil brita is the next best option!

Tags
water, water filter