Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2018, 01:28 PM   #1

Is this a Phone Line In The Trailer?

I have a 42DL destination trailer that I recently purchased. The Fantastic Fan in the bathroom was not working, the vent would raise but the fan blades did not move. I took the ceiling vent off to take a look at what going on and found what looks like a telephone cable and jack coming down and along other electric wires and two cable splitters an coaxial cables. Does anyone know what this wire is that looks like telephone line?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180609_203615.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	229.8 KB
ID:	175639   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180609_203712.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	175640  
Steveo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 01:31 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Not phone line. For your rooftop AC unit, control wiring or control for the fan itself. That sure is a mess
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 01:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Not phone line. For your rooftop AC unit, control wiring or control for the fan itself. That sure is a mess
Thanks for the quick reply, knew it wasn't a phone line for many reasons but figured it was the best way to describe it.
Old 06-12-2018, 01:41 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Steve You may want to disconnect and reconnect, might be a bad connection causing your fan not to work. Make sure power is off first to the fan and AC units.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 02:08 PM   #5

I will look at it next weekend, the unit is receiving power as the dome lid is opening and the wall controller beeps when the buttons are pressed, just the fan blades are not moving. I suspect it is power to the motor or the motor itself that is the issue.
Thanks again,
Steve
Old 06-12-2018, 02:35 PM   #6

Does it have a remote controller? Look on the back of it, should be process for programming it. On mine had to hold fan button and push a small black button on bottom of fan.
brookstone345sa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 02:46 PM   #7

No remote, just the wall controller.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180610_122851.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	221.2 KB
ID:	175649  
Old 06-13-2018, 04:24 PM   #8

Most likely a 'data' line (same type of cable; the difference is the order of wire termination (a voice cable crosses over the middle two wires, while the data version doesn't). Plug looks to be an RJ-6, and the squarish white thing it plugs into is called a coupler.

It may be for the FF (you've got either highest or 2nd highest model, since you have the wall control) - but since the other op modes besides the motor work, it's unlikely to be the issue, b/c all the comms would go through that cable.
Reprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 04:52 PM   #9

There is a push style switch under the vent cover that closes when the cover is a couple inches up. It lets your 12volt power through to the motor. If you recall your cover went up first, then, the fan would come on. Check for 12 power on both sides of switch if the vent is in up position.
hillsdaletc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:18 PM   #10

I have a 2018 42DL also and had a similar issue with the vent fan. Worked fine a couple of times and then the motor for the lid just kept turning when I went to use it. Ended up pulling the grate and worked my shoulders through the hole to get to the top. Turned out to be a loose screw on the motor gear for the lifting mechanism. I tightened that down and it worked again.

One other item to note on mine was the wall panel on the left side of your first picture was loose and tipped inwards so I secured that with a screw. I also had a lot of extra wallpaper hanging in there that blocked the fan so I trimmed that back as well. Been working fine ever since.

Slightly off topic but have you run your 2nd A/C unit for the bedroom / loft yet? Just curious what you get for airflow. Had some 90's the last few weekends and the main living space cools down just fine, but the bedroom A/C vents are just a slight wafting of air through them and never really cools down the room which is weird since it has a loft above it so it's probably the better insulated spot from the heat outside.
eye-five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 12:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye-five View Post
I have a 2018 42DL also and had a similar issue with the vent fan. Worked fine a couple of times and then the motor for the lid just kept turning when I went to use it. Ended up pulling the grate and worked my shoulders through the hole to get to the top. Turned out to be a loose screw on the motor gear for the lifting mechanism. I tightened that down and it worked again.

One other item to note on mine was the wall panel on the left side of your first picture was loose and tipped inwards so I secured that with a screw. I also had a lot of extra wallpaper hanging in there that blocked the fan so I trimmed that back as well. Been working fine ever since.

Slightly off topic but have you run your 2nd A/C unit for the bedroom / loft yet? Just curious what you get for airflow. Had some 90's the last few weekends and the main living space cools down just fine, but the bedroom A/C vents are just a slight wafting of air through them and never really cools down the room which is weird since it has a loft above it so it's probably the better insulated spot from the heat outside.
This weekend I went on the roof and checked the plunger for the fan and it was moving freely, went back to the bathroom took off the grate and checked the wiring. I saw one of the wires might have not been connected properly in the clear wire nut. I rewired and the fan and it was working. I closed the dome to turn off the fan, a few hours later opened the dome and the fan was not working again. It is a pain to get inside the shaft, I'm not huge, but am an XL weighing 225 and its tough to get my shoulders through and also position a chair or ladder underneath due to the toilet. I emailed Dometic again to see what are the next steps. I didn't see an issue with the wallpaper, but I'll check next time I go up.
As for the AC in the bedroom, didn't use it this weekend. Used it about 3 weeks ago and it cooled the room down. Prior to that I thought it was just blowing air and no chill, checked the thermostat and changed the fan settings to a lower speed and it began to cool off, not sure if the fan settings helped or if only I think it did.

Tags
trailer