Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2013, 09:31 AM   #1

Is this the kind of warranty work I should expect?

I bought a new 21rr from Dave's RV in Claremore, Oklahoma last April. We like the trailer just fine. By the end of the camping season I had several warranty issues and figured I would let the dealer work on it during the winter when things would be slow. So, on 1/2/13 I call the dealer to schedule a time they can work on it. I describe the problems and the service manager tells me to bring it in on or before 1/17/13. A few days before the 17th I call and see if things are on schedule. He says yes, and to bring it in first thing in the morning on the 17th. I did this and it has now been eight days and they have not even looked at it.

Is this the service I should expect for buying from a local dealer? Maybe this is normal and I am just impatient. This is why I am running it by all of you, for your opinions.

Also in the event this should drag on for weeks, what are my alternatives?
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:56 AM   #2

Unfortunately, you're at the mercy of the dealership. We purchased, last summer, from Camper Clinic II in Buda, TX. My gut feel is your dealer is far better than mine...
'14 nights camped:
Scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:02 AM   #3

I purchased my latest RV at the end of Aug, 2012. After the Labor Day weekend initial trip, I took it back to get some warrenty work done. About 6-7 different items that we found needing fixing after the trip. I told them we were going on another trip in Oct and needed it by the 5th of Oct. We went and picked it up it on the 3rd. It sure seemed to take a long time for me as well. Fun Town RV, Waco, TX

2002 GMC Sierra C2500 HD 6.6L Duramax Diesel
2013 Sabre Silhouette 291BHTS
Pat, Michele and 2 old dogs, Shug & Sissy
rowdydog77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:03 AM   #4
daydreaming about camping

With the caveat that during winter months I would guess most dealerships move pretty slow, here was my experience. We picked up a new trailer in September last year. By the time we got it home, we had noticed a leek and a few other items. I arranged a day to bring it back the following week. They got everything done, and found a couple other things we missed, that day. The items that could not be fixed that day (a drawer and a pillow) were shipped directly to us.

2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 320BHDS pulled by a 2005 F250 King Ranch CC

A rainy day camping is better than a sunny day at work.
jeeplj8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:16 AM   #5
"On the road again"

We've had our Columbus back to FunTown RV in Cleburne, TX a couple of times for warranty work. Once we scheduled it ahead of time and left it one week...all was done and we picked it up one week later.

The other time it involved the warranty replacement of our bedroom AC unit - we dropped it off, went for lunch and a bit of shopping and came back 2 hours later and picked it up. All finished.

I can't ask for or expect better warranty service than that. I love the FunTown folks - perhaps we caught them just at the right time, but they've always been very respectful of our time.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfun1 View Post
Is this the service I should expect for buying from a local dealer? Maybe this is normal and I am just impatient. This is why I am running it by all of you, for your opinions.

To be fair, when you dropped it off did you tell them when you would need it back?

It has been my experience with dealer repair shops of any kind (car or other), if you give an open ended "date required" you will get worked on when no one else's stuff needs to get worked on.

I made this mistake with a car once. Wife was visiting her sister in Oregon for 2 weeks and she needed some work. When asked when I needed it by I said oh, not for 2 weeks so get to it when you can.

They started working on it the day before she came home; needed a part and the DW was NOT very happy because I GOT THE BLAME for it not being done.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 01:42 PM   #7

Seems most of you have had reasonable experiences. In our case, it took three tries to get a leak repaired and we're now awaiting the 5th attempt to correct a sway problem. Bottom line is that they were to include a 4-point equalizer hitch with the unit as agreed upon in the sales contract negotiations. They provided a two point eq hitch instead with 6,000 lb bars. Now have 10K bars which still have not controlled sway, but they are willing to replace the 2 point hitch with a 4 point (as originally negotiated) for $200.

Additionally; they had the wrong address on all our paperwork and left it to us to resolve the missing title (went to the wrong address) and all the warranty paperwork. When I asked what they would do to help, the manager stated they already did by firing the finance officer who was responsible for the transaction.

We learned too late that this particular dealership is not listed with the BBB and has a reputation for shoddy customer support.

Love the FlagstaFF; Dislike the dealer...
'14 nights camped:
Scratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:36 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfun1 View Post
I bought a new 21rr from Dave's RV in Claremore, Oklahoma last April. We like the trailer just fine. By the end of the camping season I had several warranty issues and figured I would let the dealer work on it during the winter when things would be slow. So, on 1/2/13 I call the dealer to schedule a time they can work on it. I describe the problems and the service manager tells me to bring it in on or before 1/17/13. A few days before the 17th I call and see if things are on schedule. He says yes, and to bring it in first thing in the morning on the 17th. I did this and it has now been eight days and they have not even looked at it.

I have purchased a 2010 cedar creek 36re touring, a 2011 ridgeview super c, and a 2013 36ckts touring from the same dealer in the past 3 years, recent warranty service on the 2013 took 3 months for minor issues and was not completely correct when i picked it up causing another trip back and 3 more weeks. Believe it or not this is pretty much normal service. the problem is 1. nothing can be done prior to pictures being sent to manufacturer, 2. the factory has to tell them how they want it fixed. 3. parts come at a rather slow pace from the factory. 4. manufacturers do not pay nearly as well as paying customers, so they come first.
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:13 PM   #9
jbk

We ordered and purchased our camper from a local (less than 100 miles away) dealer with a top national rating. We returned it twice for warranty work, once at the end of December and the second time in mid-August. All minor stuff, but requiring coordination, parts ordering, wrong parts delivered, re-ordering, etc. and spent a total of 6 months out of our first year of ownership at the dealership. In their defense, we "could" have picked it up for camping trips while awaiting parts, but that was obviously inconvenient. I had similar experiences with our previous camper at another dealership. Now that I am out of warranty, I know an independent repair shop that understands customer service where all future repairs will be performed.
jbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #10

I had the same problem with my Cardinal. It was in the shop more than it was in the campground. In fact the only miles logged on it are to the dealer and back. I was frustrated enough that I was close to taking the legal route. Things seem to be ok now, but I will think twice before using that dealer again now that my unit is out of factory warranty.

Edward M. Blohm
2012 Cardinal 3450RL
Nights Camped 0 - 2012
edmblohm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:46 PM   #11

Even tho i have an Aframe .. I too have experienced service problems from my dealer in Ottawa Ontario. What I think happens is that any "out of warrenty work" is handled as a priority .. and warrenty work is pushed to the back burner, and not dealt with properly .. (my experience). Too much is focused on getting the unit off the lot, especially if the work is not that beneficial to the dealer. What I do think is that FR may not be reimbursing their dealers for warrenty work needed fast enough, therefore it is a issue for the dealer to see the cash .. hense the problem.

d-mo
Old 01-25-2013, 05:12 PM   #12
410 QS 425 2011 Birkshire

Only made two trips to Dave's RV then went to Fl (Lazy Days) and bought my coach there ,great people at LDs but they need better better Communication between departments
malewis49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by malewis49 View Post
Only made two trips to Dave's RV then went to Fl (Lazy Days) and bought my coach there ,great people at LDs but they need better better Communication between departments
Dave's RV in Connecticut?
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 07:36 PM   #14

I go to a big RV dealer 4 employees. 3 Bays of garage. We are pretty much on a first name basis. When I do have to take mine in they usually get right on it & if minor fix whatever right away & I take it back home or it is just there a few days unless they need to order something. In fairness I have not needed to have much corrected. I have had really good luck with our Pumas. The longest stay my new one was there this month, was to get the roof inspected (I have that done annually). They only have one bay large enough for it & wanted to warm the trailer to get any sealant to set properly if it was needed. I did time it with them as they had just finished replacing a roof on a trailer in that building & had another roof replacement coming up.
At this dealer even the two sales people work as service if it is needed.....
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:34 AM   #15

[QUOTE=herk7769;296181]To be fair, when you dropped it off did you tell them when you would need it back?

On 1/2/13 when I called for an appointment and was told to bring it in on 1/17/13, I asked Ed the service manager if they would be starting on it right away or if it would be sitting on their lot for weeks. He said,"Oh no, we don't do that, we might not be able to start on it right away but we don't let them sit around". Two days before I was to bring it in I called him again to make sure things were running on schedule. He said everything was fine and I needed to have it there first thing in the morning on 1/17/13. Five days passed and I called to check on the progress. He said they didn't have time to look at it yet. I told him I have a trip coming up the end of February and asked him if that was going to be a problem. He said he didn't think so. Now I'm not so sure.
comfun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:46 AM   #16

I am fortunate as the dealer we purchased through started at the bottom.
He started at his Dad's dealership and worked his way through the shop and became an RV Mechanic.
He then went out on his own and has his own dealership. He had us bring the toyhauler back so he could do a thorough inspection of the exterior and review with us any interior issues before the initial warranty period was up.
Because the trailer was on the lot for almost two years he wanted to make sure there were no issues that went unresolved. The tires had to be replaced under warranty and he insisted five tires be sent, which I recieved mounted on new rims. I would not even venture a guess what the UPS shipping bill was on those.
I can't say enough good things about my dealer.
Old 01-26-2013, 12:16 PM   #17
Site Team - Lou

[QUOTE=comfun1;296492]
Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
To be fair, when you dropped it off did you tell them when you would need it back?

On 1/2/13 when I called for an appointment and was told to bring it in on 1/17/13, I asked Ed the service manager if they would be starting on it right away or if it would be sitting on their lot for weeks. He said,"Oh no, we don't do that, we might not be able to start on it right away but we don't let them sit around". Two days before I was to bring it in I called him again to make sure things were running on schedule. He said everything was fine and I needed to have it there first thing in the morning on 1/17/13. Five days passed and I called to check on the progress. He said they didn't have time to look at it yet. I told him I have a trip coming up the end of February and asked him if that was going to be a problem. He said he didn't think so. Now I'm not so sure.
I totally agree, you did everything right and they are not holding up their end.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote