Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2016, 03:33 PM   #21

I agree with FlyBob and BandJCarm's comments.

"My sphincter is closing tightly and I'm running in circles trying to ensure we are not messing up. I have a big history of head slapping AFTER a big decision!"

We have all been there. We look, we procrastinate and we recall our decisions-some good, some bad, some good that went bad. Life goes on. If DW and you find what satisfies you and you use due diligence, go for it and enjoy retirement.

Six months ago, DW and I were where you are right now. We looked at used and new. On our last dealer stop, we found 2 units that had promise. The sales person left us alone and we went from one to the other numerous times before finalizing our choice. We really had no plans in buying that day until the dealer gave us a price difficult to refuse. This was a year old model, but new. We took the bite.

Did we mess up? We have done many upgrades to improve on the build and to personalize it. That has given us enjoyment. We have only taken one trip to a place where we camped on our honeymoon. The anticipation of using it more this year has kept us both looking forward to great times. Thus far, no problems. We have gotten past the head slapping thought. If it happens, we will deal with it.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 08:10 PM   #22

Sounds like there may be a case for buying a late model used unit. Problems should be known and fixed. I did that with our 36RLTS and have had few problems.
Harkerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 12:47 AM   #23
Jeffco, MO

If you like the Cedar Creek 5er, then I suggest you visit the factory and ask many questions. They will tell you why their manufacturing is different. We visited the Wildcat factory before we ordered ours. Then we visited the Cedar Creek factory before we ordered our current model. Do you like the people at the factory and their answers to your questions. Next. find a good reliable dealer that you can work with. Get some references on the dealer. As you may read on this forum, some people have problems with the dealer solving your problems.
Last but not least join F.R.O.G. What a bargain!!!

Mary & Ted
2016 Silverback 33IK
2015 GMC Sierra 2500HD CrewCab Diesel/Super Glide Hitch
Days camped 09 -53, 10 -56, 11 -57, 12 - 55, 13 - 46, 14 - 50, 15 - 60, 16 -32
7 FROG Rallies (Goshen(4), Charleston, Amana(2))
tedstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 06:43 AM   #24
MCTroy

Books and reviews never cover the one important feature of aTT or MH, how does it makes you feel? Be careful on your selection but when everything else is equal, go with the one that feels right. Everytime we look at our camper in the side yard we smile. Books can't judge pride, happiness, and excitement.
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:12 AM   #25

B&J - NO. There are lots of 5s out there for far less and good quality. You did not mention if you will be full-timing or not.
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 10:15 AM   #26

I'm suspicious of anything costing that much purporting to provide info that might be available free or from another vendor for much less than $100. If someone on the forum has purchased the product and can say something positive, I might reconsider my position, which is "no."
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 12:46 PM   #27
KJPapa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harkerr View Post
Sounds like there may be a case for buying a late model used unit. Problems should be known and fixed. I did that with our 36RLTS and have had few problems.
I have owned four units since I retired: two new and two I bought used. I will never buy a new one again. If you buy a pre-owned unit that is one or two years old you have a good chance that most of the quality control issues were detected by the original owner and have been addressed. You can also observe how the unit is aging, and that will help you sort the good one from the bad one. At least that has been my experience. Also get the previous owner or an RV repair man spend time with you doing a pre-delivery inspection just like you would on a new one before you sign the papers.
kjpapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 12:50 PM   #28
Some guy in back...

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Thanks again. Good responses.

Chateau, we did that. I was visiting my daughter in S. Carolina and we went and sat in many of them and inspected closely at a huge dealer. No salesman ever came near! We took all afternoon.

We came away impressed with the CC 36CKTS and are about to pull the trigger on ordering. My sphincter is closing tightly and I'm running in circles trying to ensure we are not messing up. I have a big history of head slapping AFTER a big decision!

Thanks again!
Since you did that, you are way ahead of the game. If you have doubts that someone other than you can understand, I might suggest you try them out here. Start a new thread, let fly with what you are thinking and see what happens.

Cheers!
ChateauV10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 01:11 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
Thanks again. Good responses.

Chateau, we did that. I was visiting my daughter in S. Carolina and we went and sat in many of them and inspected closely at a huge dealer. No salesman ever came near! We took all afternoon.

We came away impressed with the CC 36CKTS and are about to pull the trigger on ordering. My sphincter is closing tightly and I'm running in circles trying to ensure we are not messing up. I have a big history of head slapping AFTER a big decision!

Thanks again!

The 36CKTS is the one we want, it's the bomb

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 01:22 PM   #30
Site Team - Lou

Once membership is activated, the order is NOT refundable or transferable to a different type.

You can't see before hand what you are buying and once you see what a crappy product they sent you; you are pretty much screwed.

You were right to question it.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 08:42 PM   #31

Price is Right?

Get your TV info together, max tow lbs and max payload and go to the largest RV show within reasonable distance. Most of the time you can get great show prices and some dealers will even order what you want at ridiculous prices. You need at least 3 dealers quoting the same RV to get it right! Found a difference over 10K between 3 dealers on 54K (beware of the inflated MSRP) before trade in.
Old 03-03-2016, 10:48 PM   #32

D. J. - great advice. The DW and I went to the Dallas show this past weekend as we are looking for a FW in the 40' range to replace our WindJammer sometime this fall. We thought that show prices were about the best you could ask for until two different sales people showed us rigs that were above our budget. Both said they could take an additional $4000 off the $69K price to get to our budget. Whoa! So there is still room to negotiate, even at show prices.
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:39 AM   #33

NO!
Reb Kitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:39 PM   #34

Echo JCMINIS. The dealer is as important as what you buy. I chose from the units I could afford at the dealer that was close and had the best reputation for after sale service. I did not get exactly what I wanted, but I am happy. Later I found exactly what I want at two other dealers 4-6 hours from where I live. For me, that is far to go for warranty service, especially if I have to leave the RV. Everything in life requires some kind of compromise, so one has to determine what circumstance one is willing to deal with.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:06 AM   #35

Well........it's a big "no" on buying the resource book.

And we're still sold on the CC 36CKTS, and will probably order one soon. I hear folks say "there are lots better ones out there for cheaper money", but I can't find them. The few that are better are way more expensive and usually way bigger/heavier. The ones that are less expensive just don't cut the mustard. And no one has really suggested much specifically that would be a better deal. I'm open to any thoughts, but the window is closing. I'm getting a B&W Companion installed today, in the new truck I bought because of info here!!!! Getting ready to do something. Some of the reason is quality. Some of the reason is amenities. Some of the reason is layout. If I built one from scratch it might look different, but they won't let me do that. And I'd sell it to me for about a thousand dollars. They won't do that either.

I've researched. I've visited dealers. I've driven 9 hours to visit the cheapest dealer to ensure he's ok. I've sent almost 500 questions to the dealer, and the sales guy has answered every one. He's put me in touch with the factory, and I've spoken on phone to them, and emailed them back and forth. I've started threads here, and asked a million questions. Factory and I have had long conversations. I don't know how to do more research.

We have a local dealer in town. I've given him 3 chances to come even close to the price I got from a dealer 9 hours away. He says he can't even come close. By 'not close', I mean he is $29,000 more expensive at best price for same unit. That's money I can't afford to spend to satisfy the "I bought local" idea.

Here's my take on the local buying: I don't have a lot of years left, but I hope I have a few. And if I was offered a great warranty for $29,000, I wouldn't buy it. If I was told I might have to live without warranty for minor items, but I'd save $29,000 (which, actually, is what I am being told), I'd still do it. That year goes fast. Even if I buy the 2nd year warranty, to me that's just insurance against an a/c unit or a refrig going out. It's NOT worth it to drive 9 hours towing 16K pounds to fix a drawer handle. Not to me.

If repair is needed after the warranty, I have a local dealer that is apparently better at service than he is at sales. So I pay, and I get it fixed. My sole concern would be the first 1-2 years, and even then if something goes nuts. So maybe I hopefully get to go to Goshen in August and they fix it anyway!

I do understand Buyer's Loyalty. I hear a lot of that. "I bought a Majestic WooHoo trailer, and its the only one you should consider". I'm that way about my Chevy truck!!! But there are about 1,000 brands of these things (I think that might be literal), and finding one that we like, then finding a dealer that sells them, then finding one at a price we can afford, and then researching all the issues with them.......well, that's not that doable. I think most folks stumble up on a TT that they liked, they bought it, and they like it. That's awesome. But that ain't us. We have one we like but want a bigger one, and we THINK we've found one we'll like. I MAY be back on here by summer whining my patoosie off about it, I don't know. But I bet that risk is prevalent in any of them.

Still.................I'm open to any specific considerations. By specific, I mean exact comparable competitive models, at same price and quality, and where to buy them.

I sound firm in my decision. I guess I am......and if the situation were reversed I doubt I'd reply to this.........but I honestly am open to honest discussions of other stuff. I've had a couple of PM's with some alternatives, and they are good stuff, but don't match our needs 100%.

I've rambled enough, and beat this one to death.

PM me if you want to discuss further. And THANK YOU for everyone here who took their time to try and help us in this decision. This Forum is awesome, and has made a huge difference to us in our Trailering lives.

Bill
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 09:17 AM   #36

Good goin'!! You have researched, asked all the questions, and seen what you want. Nobody knows better than you and DW. Go for it and enjoy life!!
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote