Old 08-29-2016, 01:29 PM   #11
We're with NoviBill and others that say go for it if that is your style. You and your family are the ones that decide.
We do a trip like that almost every year from MD in 2 weeks +. (West Coast took 3 +.
We do not mind the drive and do not have 4-6 weeks to play.
Nope, you can't spend a week at every place but you can instill a love of the parks in your kids, if applicable, and re-awaken your own.

2016 Roo 21SS, 2016 F150
2015 Rockwood 2514G (pup), 2015 Fd Expl,
2003 Coleman Utah (pup), 2007 Fd Expl
Underthedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:54 PM   #12
It really comes down to what YOU feel comfortable doing and who is going. If you have young kids, a trip like that might be too much "windshield time" for them. It also depends on what you're looking for - whether you just want to "check the box" of places that you've been or whether you want to really see and enjoy the fantastic scenery in that area.

kluza2786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:19 PM   #13
3 weeks enough?

3 weeks for all that is pretty tight.
If you are a road warrior and want to spend lots of long days driving, then it may be right for you..??
I used to do trips like this and more, and then I had to go back to work to recover.
I just retired and took 7 weeks to do over 11,000 miles from San Diego to Alaska and I could easily have added 4 weeks just in certain areas of Alaska and Canada. I just scratched the surface.
But I remember those working days and I always tried to squeeze in as much as possible into my vacation time.
Knowing what I know now, I would do either Grand Tetons and Yellowstone or Mt Rushmore and Badlands. But if you want to squeeze all in, then do Tetons and Yellowstone first and decide once there if you go up to Mt Rushmore and Badlands on the way back.
They call the Badlands that name for a reason... miles and miles of bad land with a must stop at Wall Drug.
Mt. Rushmore area is awesome but a week there is more than enough.
larryandamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:29 PM   #14
Thank you everyone for your comments. This is a lot to consider. We will probably forego this big trip and stick to things on the east coast that we have not seen yet. We will retire in about 5 to 6 years and plan to hit the road full timing at that point, so we do plan to spend enough time in each of these places. We are just getting anxious because you never know what life will bring! We plan to full time and see the whole country, including driving to Alaska, but so many things can change over the coming years. Three of our parents are still living and you never know if your own health will hold up so you can accomplish your dreams. I guess part of us does not want to wait until then to see the US and Canada!

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:50 PM   #15
If you leave on a Saturday and return home on a Sunday the trip would be for 23 days.

We are retired now, but when we were working we would try to leave on a Friday afternoon and put some miles behind us--about 4 hours. I worked part time and I had everything all packed up and loaded and when my husband got home we would leave.

He did, however, always want to arrive home on a Saturday so that he could relax and unwind on Sunday before returning to work.
Also, we both drove so that helped quite a bit.
Gizmosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:57 PM   #16
My Suburban would shut off the fuel at 98.
2016 Clipper 17FQ
2016 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Austintatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 05:39 PM   #17
It is doable but do you want to be on a time schedule? Take your time and enjoy every moment as you may never go back there again. We made the mistake of saying that we will be back but we never did and regret not seeing everything while we were there. When you go anywhere always see everything.
Marcel & Jenne
Kemptville, ON
2014 Rockwood 8282WS
2015 Ford F150 Eco-Boost
BusyRetirees is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:06 PM   #18
(Dry Huunday)
Yep. You can do it! When I was a teenager my mom took me on not one, but 3 trips from South Florida to the Pacific NorthWest and points in between via the southwest on 3 week vacations. The only marathon drives was the first day to get out of Fl. Best time of my life!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:17 PM   #19
Mod free 5er
Make sure you go to Crazy Horse monument just north of Mt. Rushmore.
OldCoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:51 PM   #20
I did the trip from the southern part of NC in 3 weeks, the first day I left early in the morning and when I stopped for the night a little over 900 miles was done. When you have a regular job you do what you have to do. I'm retired now and some days I still do over 500 miles and sometimes longer. I like to drive 200 to 250 a day

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2015 Cedar Creek 32RL
2012 Silverado 3500HD SRW
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote