Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2016, 06:52 PM   #21

My wife and I took a similar trip last year ! Three weeks may be stretching it but at least you see the highlights ! Then when you retire return and spend time in the places you want to explore . We do not regret our trip and plan on returning next year to fill in the spots we missed .
Old 08-29-2016, 07:03 PM   #22

Is three weeks enough?

We rented a motorhome in 1988 and did that trip in 29 days without much trouble from NE Florida. Total 9,600 miles
Retired JSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:39 AM   #23

My wife and I drove almost 4000 miles this summer when we took a trip back to Iowa so that she could meet her penpal of 45 years. We did it in two weeks because that was all of the time my wife's had available. Also the days that we had to drive 500 miles in one day were long and hard. The thing that I found was after driving 500 miles in one day I needed a recovery day. Having come from South Dakota there is a ton of things to see in the Black Hills so figure on days not just one of two there. The same goes for the Yellowstone and the Tetons.
Love to communicate via the airwaves
WT7E (Ham Radio)
BobandAnitaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 12:12 PM   #24

We did it in two weeks: hauled a trailer with two bikes behind a motorhome from Stuart area in Florida to Yellowstone (3 day drive)...rode bikes all around the park and down to Tetons..that was 4 days then rode/drove (we took the bike, friends drove the MH) across Wyoming to Sturgis for the rally...got there the Thursday before and stayed and rode all around and thru the badlands ect till Thursday and got home that Sunday...it was a blast...two couples, two Harley's and no agenda😜
smeyer65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 10:41 PM   #25

It's doable

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampingGator View Post
Is three weeks enough to do justice to a trip from Florida to the Badlands, Mt. Rushmore, Yellowstone, and Grand Tetons, or would that be biting off more than we can chew? We have a TT.
I took 3 weeks off so we could go from Birmingham thru Nashville, St. Louis (went up in the arch), Rushmore (full day there) with a 2 night stay in Custer and then onward with stops at Wall Drug and Devil's Tower and finally to the West side of YS. Took 7 days to get there, stayed 6 days at YS, then 5 days home (little more of a death march getting home, not much to see on the route back). Total of 18 days, this gave us 5 days at home to recover before going back to work. We had 14 nights in TT and 3 hotel stays. 2 of the TT nights were off the grid w/ genny and fresh water tank. Pinnacle RV trip for our family so far, so many memories and a sense of adventure that's hard to find nowadays since we only booked the hotel stays and YS ahead of time. All other stays were seat of the pants. Coming from Florida you may have less time to recuperate at home but it depends on how long you take to get there and how long your YS stay is. We only passed thru Teton NP heading home, the little bit we saw was gorgeous. A month would be great but 3 weeks is certainly sufficient. Bottom line is you could spend a month (or a lifetime) at YS and still leave stuff on the plate so just pick what's top priority, focus on that understanding that no matter how you plan it you wont' see or do everything. We had 2 full touring days in YS seeing geysers, mudpots, the Grand Canyon of YS (a must!) etc. and the second day we drove / hiked in Lamar Valley. It's all breathtaking. Honestly once you hit the Black Hills and go through SD, Wyoming and Montana it's all breathtaking. We spent our other days in West Yellowstone doing tourist stuff, went in to Idaho to shoot clays and ride horses and spent a day rafting the Gallatin in Big Sky Montana. Be careful going through the Big Horn Mts. if you choose that over the Bozeman Montana bypass. The scenery is amazing but there are some serious climbs / descents on that route. Good luck and happy travels!
Nights camped 2017-16, 2018-6, 2019-10
Admiral_Roo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:58 AM   #26

Great thread. I hope to do that trip from So. CA to the Tetons, and to Mt. Rushmore. I'm guessing that everyone who posted their trips towed a sightseeing vehicle...? We don't have one. Are there trams or transportation available from campgrounds to the actual sights? How about bringing small dogs with you?
ToniandSal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:07 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniandSal View Post
Great thread. I hope to do that trip from So. CA to the Tetons, and to Mt. Rushmore. I'm guessing that everyone who posted their trips towed a sightseeing vehicle...? We don't have one. Are there trams or transportation available from campgrounds to the actual sights? How about bringing small dogs with you?
No transportation that I am aware of, we towed a car. The main park road is +140 mile figure 8 with main sights all along the main park road. There are tour buses, you may check where they leave from and see if you can camp within walking distance of a pickup point, it may take some planning. We brought our dog but he stayed in the motorhome most of the time. Due to the wild life dogs are discouraged in most areas of the park.

Rudy - 10 year old long haired dachshund, RIP
2011 Georgetown 350TS
2013 Chevrolet Equinox toad
RudysWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:07 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToniandSal View Post
A couple of NPs had shuttle transportation. The ones I remember were Grand Canyon, and Yosemite . The Crow Nation had a bus tour of Little Bighorn .
You would need to check with each park. Think about what you are going to do with the dog I am sure he will not be allowed on the shuttles.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:55 AM   #29

You can find Enterprise car rentals just about anywhere in any city of relative size. Inexpensive compared to others and they will come to you most of the time.
We used them motorcycling. Biking is fun EXCEPT once you arrive and it's 90 plus degrees and you have GEAR, lots of it. Rent an air conditioned car; sightsee a few days and give it back and ride on bro!!
Good concept for those not needing a TV often.
Also, motorcyclists, you can rent in most places; i.e.; Rapid City, Jackson Hole; Las Vegas....owning is not always the better way !
SilverbackMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 08:24 AM   #30

I have decided not to rush into buying a toad. Just another vehicle to keep on the driveway, or maneuver in the garage. The MH already lives on the driveway, anyway. Plus we have an SUV and a car. I thought about selling my Jaguar and buying a Jeep Wrangler Sport for a toad, but I'm not ready to part with my aging, but comfy riding Jag yet. As soon as I get the kayak out of the garage to the side of the house, the car can park there. It takes this much effort when you live in the burbs!
ToniandSal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 01:02 PM   #31

Quite a bite, but do it anyway. That way you will know where you want to return to to spend more time. We returned a month ago from a three months trip from Maryland to the Colorado Plateau (CO,UT,AZ,NM) and we still want to go back to see and do the things we mssed. We plan on doing the trip you are doing next summer first. We are retired so that is how we have the time. Now we are on our way to Kerr lake in NC for some r&r😎
2015 Roo 21BD-L'ABode
lablover is offline   Reply With Quote