Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #1

Issue picking up Roo today at RVW-need advice

We just arrived back to Cincinnati from our trip to RVW (2 hours) to pick up new Roo19. Unfortunately, things did not go as expected and we could use some advice.

During our inspection, we noticed water drops on the shelf that attaches to the front tent end. Also, water stains on end of mattress. Upon further inspection of the front tent end I found that water was sitting along the length of the hinge under the rubber cover. Also, some drips were coming through the hinge and going down the front outside of the camper. The black seal on the bunkend that is attached to the trailer had a couple of "kinks" or areas where the seal did not look good. I assume the water came through there. We purchased in Nov and they have been storing since then and possibly there was a bungee chord or canvas that was stuck in the seal during this time. Luckily there was alot of rain yesterday otherwise it may have gone unnoticed.

We spoke with the service manager who origionally wanted to add some extra seals around the existing ones, but I told them that would not be satisfactory and needed to talk to a manager. My hope was to exchange with another unit either in stock or on order, but since we purchased in Nov. that was not possible. They agreed to send the unit back to the Forest River factory to replace front bunk end, mattress and seals, as well as remove the front shelf to replace and inspect for water damage and replace with new shelf. RVW also agreed to deliver directly to our residence in Cincinnati at no cost after the unit is returned to them from the factory (they said 2 weeks or less).

This is our first purchase of a new RV (previous have all been used from private sellers) so I would like some advice on whether or not this is a fair remedy and also what I should do now to insure that this is handled correctly by both RVW and FR.

Here are the steps I've taken and questions I have:

1)I listed in detail the issues that need to be corrected specifically new bunkend, new seals, new mattress and new shelf.

2) RVW manager has a origional list and I have a copy signed by manager that agrees to ship directly to us.

3) They are contacting FR Monday to arrange for work to be done and will contact me with details.

I have never dealt with FR factory warranty work so I want to make sure that all is taken care of before they send it back and would like some advice from someone who may have similar experience:

Is there a contact person I can speak to at FR while the unit is there to make sure the unit was not just cleaned and new seals put on? I want to make sure they REPLACE the bunk end and shelf and also make sure they inspected under the shelf for any water damage.

What can I do during this process to make sure this is handled to my satisfaction? Unfortunately, I understand these things happen, but as I told RVW, this is our first new RV and the reason we bought new was to not have a unit with existing issues.

On their part, I think RVW has been helpful, but I also understand that I need to bat for us in this situation with FR factory to make sure the problem is taken care of.

Any advice, contact names at FR, etc... would be helpful. Hopefully we can get this resolved to our satisfaction quickly so we can be ready for our first trip!

Thanks
Cincy6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #2

Oh man that sux that you had those issues. It sounds like they are going to take care of it in a timely manner plus have it delivered to you at their expense which is good. I hope to see you post back that RVW and FR fixed it quickly and to you satisfaction.

I'm wondering if when they did their PDI that they kinked the seals when closing it up and then those terrible storms rolled through causing the leaks. With all the posts about the leaking tent ends it doesn't sound like an isolated issue with just yours.

Since I'm picking up ours in a few weeks, I will definitely check for similar issues and post back.
RoadDog66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:23 PM   #3

Yes, I'm glad we saw the problem now rather than later. Shows the importance of a good inspection when you pick up. I'm hoping someone on this forum can provide some info on a good contact person at FR factory so I can be sure things are taken care of there. I want to make sure they replace all that has been promised by RVW before they send it back.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:35 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I'd question RVW why they didn't find these problems before you did the PDI.

It's good to see that there's a action plan to fix the issues. You're going to have to trust RVW and FR to get it fixed...can't stand over their shoulder. They're been through similiar situations to this before. RVW in particular are paranoid about 'bad press' on the trailering forums. I'm sure that they'll take care of you.

I would try to tie them down to a shipping date for the camper to be returned to FR.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:21 PM   #5

I would request a new and different unit, neither FR nor RVW have meet the contractual obligation of delivering what would be considered a completed new unit, since it has water damage within the seals that happened prior to delivery to you and you have no idea how long the water sat there of if there is residual damage that will go unseen , think mold, i would refuse the unit. Now that may mean a longer wait time until a replacement can be mfg. my 2 cents...
2023 Road Glide ST
camper_Lucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:47 PM   #6

I wish you luck

I too had a bad experience with RVW and FR. Hope all turns out well for you because RVW is a volume dealer only and when these types of issues arise they could care less about you once you have left the lot. I hope in the many weeks to come you get satisfaction and my guess is it will be many many weeks.

TJ, Paula, and Mickey the wonder dog
2010 Toyota Tundra 5.7L Crew Cab
TJfromfL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 11:25 PM   #7
Site Team

nearly every post i've read, where FR took the RV back to the factory, was very positive.
most said that the rig was better than before and often were given free upgrades.
i can't remember any that weren't very satisfied.

as far as another unit from RVW, you could try that route but i'd rather have mine sent back to the factory, cause it'll get looked over more closely, than another new unit from the assembly line.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:59 AM   #8

Thanks for the feedback. So far RVW has been helpful. I received an email from the manager there after we left confirming our issues and that they will be in contact with FR on Monday concerning returnig to factory.

Hoping it all goes smoothly. I will keep updates as it may help others in the future.
If anyone knows of a contact person at FR who has been helpful with warranty work in the past that would be great.

Thanks
Old 03-04-2012, 08:06 AM   #9

seems more than fair -- what more could they do ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy6 View Post

My hope was to exchange with another unit either in stock or on order, but since we purchased in Nov. that was not possible.

They agreed to send the unit back to the Forest River factory

RVW also agreed to deliver directly to our residence

I would like some advice on whether or not this is a fair remedy
seems more than fair
can't think of much more they can do for you
just one more inspection for you
when they deliver
good luck with your new rig
Mountainman
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:14 AM   #10
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by camper_Lucy View Post
I would request a new and different unit, neither FR nor RVW have meet the contractual obligation of delivering what would be considered a completed new unit, since it has water damage within the seals that happened prior to delivery to you and you have no idea how long the water sat there of if there is residual damage that will go unseen , think mold, i would refuse the unit. Now that may mean a longer wait time until a replacement can be mfg. my 2 cents...
Given the OP's original statement "We purchased in Nov and they have been storing since then and possibly there was a bungee chord or canvas that was stuck in the seal during this time"

They have owned this unit for 4 months now even though they do not have it home so IMO asking for a new unit is not even an option. Getting FR to repair it properly is the way to go, and if you read through the many posts of units going back to the factory I believe the OP will be very happy with the end result. As one poster mentioned though I would be on top of RVW though the whole process though as the gentleman that posted the warning got the royal shaft by RVW last year.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:38 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSasks View Post
Given the OP's original statement "We purchased in Nov and they have been storing since then and possibly there was a bungee chord or canvas that was stuck in the seal during this time"

They have owned this unit for 4 months now even though they do not have it home so IMO asking for a new unit is not even an option. Getting FR to repair it properly is the way to go, and if you read through the many posts of units going back to the factory I believe the OP will be very happy with the end result. As one poster mentioned though I would be on top of RVW though the whole process though as the gentleman that posted the warning got the royal shaft by RVW last year.
Was a PDI done in November or was it done when you were picking the unit up?

X2 on what Saks said - stored since Novemeber so I doubt they would give you a new unit.
X2 on what Dan said - on the units that have been sent back to the factory have come back better then new with Free upgrades and havent seen any unsatisified posted to my knowledge.
USMC 91 - 95 - F/A-18 Aviation Ordnance
sherdep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:35 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy6 View Post
If anyone knows of a contact person at FR who has been helpful with warranty work in the past that would be great.
Thanks
unfortunately, the Roo/Shamrock line doesn't have a rep that posts here, like Wildcat, Prime Time and other brands.
as far as i know, Gregg Rollins is the contact person for Roo. he's not the easiest person to get in touch with, nor hear from.
emails to him, are better than leaving phone messages.

i would contact RVW, since they have a close relationship with the Rockwood division and see if they can supply the name of someone, if not Gregg.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:13 PM   #13

Thanks for all the replys

Yes, we have owned it since Nov. but PDI was just done before we went to pick up.

I agree that having them send it back is the best solution. I just want to do all I can on this end to make it a positive outcome. It's good to hear all of the positve responses from folks dealing with FR factory. I will see if RVW can provide a contact at FR once the process starts. Hopefully I will be able to write a positive post concerning both FR and RVW after this is resolved! Thanks for all the feedback.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:39 PM   #14

You wont be deceived when you will get your trailer from the factory repair. They did a super good repair on mine and it was major with complete rear wall replacements etc etc. They even went through a complete trailer check up and did some other trailer work that was not on the list. We tried also to have my trailer replaced since it was brand new and considering the major repair it would have been better to keep this trailer for spare parts but they said that they never exchange trailers for another one. We were very happy with their job. There is nothing more frustrating when you buy a new trailer and you discover a week after that you made a major mistake!
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote