Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2019, 09:57 PM   #21

We have always done things different from most my last truck I paid 16K about 7 years ago put 4K into repairs back then, and only put a water pump on it two years ago for $125, other than tires. The camper is not high dollar now stays put ..........

Until we want to get away from the quiet and go to the beach. That is several weekends and weeks a year.

With retirement around the corner .......who knows. .......... But we still will want to get out and away....... to the crowds

Hate motels last one we stayed at was expensive but nasty........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 01:53 PM   #22
REL

Just got into an RV I'm retired and race dirt bikes about every weekend Feb through Dec...Slept in the truck, the trailer, a tent, under and on picnic tables and some really nasty motels..DW recently retired and decided she wants to come along so SHE picked out our new TV and a 25' Toyhauler...Didn't go all out on the hauler, she wanted to keep it small and practical (Vengance 25v).. It's warm, dry, has a shower, room for the bikes and DW doesn't have to use the porta potty. The TV was another story...She did go overboard on that but that should out last the TT by a few decades...
REL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 01:57 PM   #23

Have a friend who laughs at me for wanting to go camping, and especially when I had to have the trailer fixed several times. He keeps saying hotels are better.

I told him I'd sell the trailer and stay in a hotel when he could guarantee me four things:

1) The bed I'll be sleeping in is brand new and no one has ever slept in it, but me.

2) The room I get will be adjoining a bunch of my friends.

3) The room I get will have a fully stocked kitchen with all the things I like to eat, and a way to cook 'em, and to clean up.

4) And, I want all that for between $19 and $50 a night.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 02:06 PM   #24

I bought a new toyhauler beginning of April. Between work and cold rainy weather, I've not taken it out yet! I have high hope's the weather will cooperate soon. I opted for a larger trailer, I wanted a separate garage and the smaller units had no room to sit when the toy was inside. My sympathies to all that have lost a loved one or simply the cost became to much. Glad to also read, some bought a mobile home or possibly went to a permanent site. Best wishes to all and have a great summer, when it finally gets here!
Jhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 07:12 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhut View Post
I bought a new toyhauler beginning of April. Between work and cold rainy weather, I've not taken it out yet! I have high hope's the weather will cooperate soon. I opted for a larger trailer, I wanted a separate garage and the smaller units had no room to sit when the toy was inside. My sympathies to all that have lost a loved one or simply the cost became to much. Glad to also read, some bought a mobile home or possibly went to a permanent site. Best wishes to all and have a great summer, when it finally gets here!
Good thoughts. Have fun out there.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 07:45 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by crinteastwood View Post
I hear what you are saying but its a real toss up - we sold our trailer a few years back because we thought the same as you - stay in a hotel or B&B, spending $100 - 200 per night but then we missed the campfire, fresh air in the woods, knowing who slept in our bed the night before, doing our campground meals, so we got back into a trailer 2 years ago and camped 18 nights last season, which is in the upper percentile for most people we know. Last summer we moved into a condo so we could lock the door and just leave anytime we want to - then it didn't make sense to have a truck sitting around taking up a parking spot, so about 2 months ago we dealt off both truck and trailer and brought home a Sunseeker 2650 CDWS and are going to try a new way of adventuring. Not necessarily gonna do huge road trips, although we can, we just know that we would miss our camping.

This alone is the reason if nothing else. The outdoors and the campfire. Having a little patch of grass or dirt. I have pictures of spending $150 a night in hotels and having black mold all over the windows and in the showers. Don't even get me started on the remote. We have taking to camping an hour away from home at one of many great state parks near us just to camp. $20-30 dollars as opposed to over a hundred plus we cook our own food now.

It does not warm up here till May so the last 2 Aprils we headed south. This year was Virginia for 6 nights. Turned around the next weekend and 2 nights in Hartwick Pines. Now DC next week for 6 nights. Though I have to admit I miss running the freeway at 75-80 mph to get where I am going. When I get to camp though I am happy as a clam.
tyler811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 02:34 PM   #27

We belong to the "started out sleeping in a tent" group and so far we have done popups, a hybrid and now a 21' TT with a single slide out (all that room!). We camped with our son from the time he was in diapers until he hit high school and wanted to be doing his own thing - much of which is back packing and tent camping

I retired last year and DW will retire next year. Once she retires we are going to hit the road for some 3 - 6 month trips visiting friends, relatives and all the places we've talked about but never got to. Once that's behind us we'll figure out if it's time for a MH or if we go back down to a popup and an SUV. The only thing that would drive us to just call it quits is if the difficulty we have in getting good campsites gets worse in the future (more campers & less parks ).

For now, hotels are only for those unplanned gotta be there tomorrow trips!
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 07:20 AM   #28

Sitting here drinking my coffee and reading these stories so I had to chime in. Spent our honeymoon many years ago in a GP small Army tent. Not long after that my new in-laws rebuilt a 1973 fold down trailer for us so we could upgrade. Before we quit using that trailer with our three small kids at the time, there was more duct tape on the canvas then there was actual canvas. Jumped from the fold down to a 19' foot travel trailer so we could have air, still with the three kids. Even took a trip to Orlando pulling the trailer with our 6 cylinder jeep. Since that trailer we are on our third fifth wheel with the last one purchased a year and a half ago being the only brand new unit we have ever had. Between the trailers and the tow vehicles I would hate to know what we have spent and are still spending just to go camping. We enjoy it just about as much as the grandkids and even though the wife has had her knees replaced three times and a hip done last year we still plan to keep it up. Have we spent too much money all these years, probably, but the memories we have and the new memories we are still making for the kids and grandkids makes it well worth it. So very sorry about the loss of your wife. Just can't imagine, but as you stated, life goes on.
badger5301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 07:47 AM   #29

When I look at the money side of camping, of course it makes no sense. But then I imagine my life without it and I don’t like what I see. DW and I have kept it modest with 20 ft TT and V6 truck. I feel lucky to have a partner who will go on these adventures with me. If I lost her I would likely go back to a tent, even though I am pushing 70. I also have a 30 ft sailboat that is a money hole in the water. The boat will have to go long before the camper since it requires good balance while standing and moving on a bouncing and rolling surface. Again, it makes no money sense but I want to enjoy it while I can. Or until prices outstrip my fixed income.
BradJB is offline   Reply With Quote