Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-27-2013, 09:19 AM   #1

It's COLD and my furnace is not working.

I have been running my furnace at night to keep warm and to make sure the water lines don't freeze but since it does not get much below freezing at night and warms up nicely during the day I think I can forgo running it at night and run the fireplace instead. This morning though I found it about 60 inside and the furnace is not working.

We just bought a 2014 35QB4 and everything has been great. I followed the instructions from the dealer and had one of the tanks turned off so it would only pull from one tank. I was told that once that tank ran out I could simply turn the other tank on and everything would be fine. Well it didn't work quite that way. My first tank ran out of gas last night and I went and flipped the nob to the second tank and turned it on but the furnace won't run nor will the fan come on. I know I have propane in the tank and my stove burners run just fine. Yes, I realize now that I read the instructions on the propane valve that I was operating it incorrectly but the furnace should still work once propane is back in the system but I am getting nothing.

Currently I know I have gas in the tank that is installed and the nob on the regulator is turned to the installed tank. I have the furnace turned up to 89 but it is not running like I said the fan isn't even running. I have checked the breaker inside and have not found anything for the furnace or anything that is off. I vaguely remember the dealer talking about a breaker in one of the storage compartments that would have to be reset if the hot water heater isn't working but I can't find it nor do I know if it would do anything for this problem.

Any suggestions? Anything I can try to get this thing working again or did I break something that I will have to call someone to fix for me (I am fairly handy and have my own tools)?

Thanks for any suggestions.
DuckCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:27 AM   #2

same this happened to me . the reg was bad had to swap tanks with the good side to get heat, I would try this first.. did the indicator change from red to green when it is in use??? is thei gas coming out of the stove when selected?? then you would know it is not the tank/reg

06 LBZ ,CC 4x
lots of mods
Superglide
jevanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:29 AM   #3

Will the fireplace and furnace work in conjunction with each other?
Old 10-27-2013, 09:43 AM   #4

I know I am getting gas. The indicator turned from red to green and the burners on the stove are working fine.

For the fireplace. No, I don't think they work in conjunction. I turned the fireplace on after I turned on the other tank and found the furnace still was not working. I have now turned off the fireplace so it should be running.

After writing the above I thought that maybe the furnace needed to "reset" itself. So I turned off the furnace and let it sit for a couple of mins and turned it back on. IT IS RUNNING NOW. I have also turned the fireplace back on and the furnace is running also so it makes me think that the only way that they would work in conjunction is the heat from the fireplace would prevent the temperature from getting low enough to demand heat from the furnace.

Thanks for the question because it made me think a little further and it is working now.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:44 AM   #5

Your furnace "locked out" when it couldn't light from being out of propane. Turn it off at the thermostat. Wait about 3 minutes. Turn it on again. You should have fan and hear it at least try to light. May have to repeat this process a couple of times.
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckCamper View Post
I know I am getting gas. The indicator turned from red to green and the burners on the stove are working fine.

For the fireplace. No, I don't think they work in conjunction. I turned the fireplace on after I turned on the other tank and found the furnace still was not working. I have now turned off the fireplace so it should be running.

After writing the above I thought that maybe the furnace needed to "reset" itself. So I turned off the furnace and let it sit for a couple of mins and turned it back on. IT IS RUNNING NOW. I have also turned the fireplace back on and the furnace is running also so it makes me think that the only way that they would work in conjunction is the heat from the fireplace would prevent the temperature from getting low enough to demand heat from the furnace.

Thanks for the question because it made me think a little further and it is working now.

My trailer does not have a fireplace so I ask because I did not know.

One can not learn with out questions.

Glad you got it figured out.

Be warm = be happy!
Old 10-27-2013, 09:47 AM   #7

Thanks BarryD0706 I was doing that while you were writing it. That did the trick. I hope that this can help others if they have the same problem.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:55 AM   #8

Thanks for this post. My furnace won't turn on. We have propane because the stove and oven works. Hot water heater works. AC and fan will turn on but no furnace. I tried letting the furnace reset itself by turning it off at the thermostat and letting it sit for 3-5 minutes and turning it back on. I've done this three times. It's clicks once and then nothing. Anymore ideas? Thank
You!!
avwbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 11:24 AM   #9

I am not sure what might fix yours. But, turning it off and back on worked for me though mine wasn't doing anything when mine went off.

I would go through and check to make sure nothing is blocking the exhaust and that nothing has built a nest inside it. This doesn't take too much time just take off the outside plate and inspect it for blockage. Also, there may be a reset on the control board but I wouldn't guarantee it. If all else fails I would trip the circuit breaker for it and see if that in some way helps, I doubt it will but it may.

I hope you get this figured out.
Old 01-06-2014, 04:12 PM   #10

Last Spring this happened to me while on a trip to West Texas. We were lucky enough not to need the furnace but for one night and we made it fine, but a little cold. Our Blue Ridge was two months out of warranty but I pulled it by the Dealer, Mays RV, while on a trip close by. When I told the service man that the furnace would not work, he had me go in and turn it on. I did and he took his hand and slapped the side of the furnace door (from the outside) and it started working. There is a relay switch by the door and the vibration caused it make contact. He laughed and installed a new switch and it has worked ever since. He did have to disassemble some to get to the switch. He said that the switches were not very good and that an aftermarket one is better. Oh, and he did not charge me anything. Good Dealer.
wrtdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace