Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2015, 04:55 PM   #41

For most campers the cold weather rating assumes you are running the propane furnace to keep the coach interior at 60+ degrees. Furnace has a duct that runs to the water tanks compartment to help out with preventing freeze up. So all is well for cold weather if propane furnace is used to warm the unit. Otherwise, I would be surprised if you did not have problems. I put a work light with a 100 watt incandecsent bulb on a thermocube switch in the storage bay during the winter and turn off the furnace. Works for 20 degree weather.
RubberNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 05:08 PM   #42
Mod free 5er

When we got home from FL this year we had weather down in the low 20's for days and all I did was put the Eden Pure in front of the furnace intake and turned the furnace blower on (without burner) and left it. Coach stayed in the low 60's and nothing froze. I did open the vent into the basement to circulate warm air in there and turned the tank heaters on. Don't know if the low point drains froze or not, but nothing leaked. I had removed the anode and drained the water heater.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 06:52 PM   #43

I agree with draining hose. I once left it outside with water in it and found it rock hard in the morning. had to lay it in the sun to thaw out before hooking back up to the spigot.
Captn.Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:16 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
That could be true I do not doubt you but STILL FR> doesn't make a true 4 season TT. Like Artic, I can camp down to zero, but I have to take precautions, If I had a artic I wouldn't have that problem. I don't care what div. you buy from at FR they will tell you that it is 3 seasons construction but with prep you can take the cold weather. like a heated hose, tank heaters and hot air blowing from your furnace in the belly. That is still 3 season not 4 season. You would run out of propane in two days...

Go to Cedar Creek website and look under literature and then back to basics, then tell me where do you see three season camping? It says all season camping, even in the video it says all season camping. Please show me on the Cedar Creek website where it says three season camping.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 08:39 PM   #45

Normally with RV's & Boats you don't have to worry until the temp drops below freezing and stays there for over 24-36 hours.
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 08:44 PM   #46
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
Go to Cedar Creek website and look under literature and then back to basics, then tell me where do you see three season camping? It says all season camping, even in the video it says all season camping. Please show me on the Cedar Creek website where it says three season camping.
Time to get out the popcorn machine. Buttered or plain?
Who's got the drink concession?
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 10:35 PM   #47

I ran into this issue with my Georgetown class A few of years ago when I discovered that the plumbing compartment had no heat in it. The arctic pack heats the waste tanks and valves but, I believe, that's all because I've never found any wires to a heating pad on the fresh water tank. When we stayed at a campground where overnight temps dropped to 18F, another camper left his hydrant open and when the sun rose in the morning, had a lawn sprinkler from a (frozen) broken pipe feeding the hydrant. The campground manager said that with labor and parts, it was close to a $1000 repair.

I added a 300W gutter heating tape, attached to all of the pipes in the plumbing compartment, to prevent freezing. The tape came with its own thermostat and it's powered from shore power, the generator, or the 1kw inverter I had installed. The inverter gets used primarily when driving, when the engine alternator can provide up to 175A. Both of the low point drains were cut in the plumbing compartment and shutoff valves installed. This leaves the portion of the pipe that's exposed below the compartment dry and I don't have to worry about freezing. PEX tubing may take freezing without breaking but the pinch clamps that are used on fittings may loosen from freeze/thaw cycles. Remember, freezing water is what breaks rocks apart.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:29 AM   #48
Site Team

I'd only be concerned about the water hose. Fill fresh tank and disconnect the hose and let it drain. Enjoy. I've been there in that temp and loved it.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply With Quote