Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2015, 07:27 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Cold room
tested to zero
degree Fahrenheit with standard insulation and heating pads with no tank freezing!

From CC brochure. No details on how long it was in there.
CC should save Money since they don't install (Anti-Freeze) ports for Winterizing! The winters are Not that Long in Canada! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:54 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
That's on Cedar Creek website, it says it's a four season camper

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
this is all I found on the web site under options: Seen nothing that say's 4 seasons ready

"Enclosed and insulated underbelly with 12 volt heating pads on all holding tanks (R38)" This also on there site NOTE :"When storing your recreational vehicle through periods of freezing weather in an unheated environment, it will be necessary to winterize the water system. Damage to the water system components will result if the proper winterization steps are not taken.
NOTE:

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 08:42 AM   #23

Use be more worried about why it's 28deg. In the middle of summer!!!!

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:00 AM   #24
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Last winter in Texas it got below freezing to where the outside hose froze. Nothing broke, just didn't have water for a shower till noon.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 11:37 AM   #25
7 Year Class A RV'er

We camped in Nashville last fall with temps in the teens and never worried about any of it. Most RV's are so poorly insulated that keeping the interior warm is going to warm the entire system. Besides, water is a lot harder to freeze than you think. You need temps low for quite a while to really impact you, not just an hour or two.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 11:54 AM   #26

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
We're full timers presently living in central Texas and I spiral wrap a pipe heater line that I got from The Home Depot around my white water hose. It heats up at something like 35 degrees and turns off at about 45. Our Windjammer is protected underneath to 9 degrees.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 11:54 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
We camped in Nashville last fall with temps in the teens and never worried about any of it. Most RV's are so poorly insulated that keeping the interior warm is going to warm the entire system. Besides, water is a lot harder to freeze than you think. You need temps low for quite a while to really impact you, not just an hour or two.
You are 100% correct, I still want to know where it say's that a Cedar Creek is 4 seasons as stated above in another post?....

Old 08-23-2015, 12:01 PM   #28

We camp year round here in Central Oregon. We have camped while snowmobiling when it has been as cold as -10F. You must keep the interior of the camper as warm as possible. I don't even winterize until we start seeing some nights in the teens.
Airlift remote compressor system
Ultragauge EM Plus OBDII monitor
BendOrLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 12:04 PM   #29

We have camped at West Yellowstone Grizzly RV Park many times. They usually don't ask you to disconnect water line until forecast is for 24 or lower. I have never turned water off if forecast is above 25.
Things change fast in West Yellowstone, we were there just a few weeks ago and the low was 40, but then we had snow mid June one year. Good luck and have a great time.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 12:07 PM   #30
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Quote:
Most places I camp at in winter will tell me to unhook from water, if the water pipe freezes and burst and I am hooked up then I pay for fixing water pipe

Kind of hard to freeze if water turned on and is dripping. Now how can they charge you if there pipe freezes not your fault if you are hooked up. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 01:49 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa Jim View Post
We're full timers presently living in central Texas and I spiral wrap a pipe heater line that I got from The Home Depot around my white water hose. It heats up at something like 35 degrees and turns off at about 45. Our Windjammer is protected underneath to 9 degrees.
What all did you do or have done to protect the (Underbelly) to (9 Degrees)?? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 02:15 PM   #32

Have spent winters in a Cardinal 5th wheel in both Kansas City and St. Louis. Weeks of below freezing temperatures. My suggestions on freezing temperatures are:

Disconnect and drain water hose. I did that until I was able to get an electrical heating cord to wrap the hose. This was a no-brainer. Less obvious is the fact that the gray and black water valves will freeze up and leave you unable to dump for extended periods.

Never had a problem from the drain exposure. I doubt it will freeze if the water tank is above freezing. Heat conducts from tank to exposed tube.

While away a couple weeks at Christmas one year, propane ran out, wife had cut off the electric heaters I usually left on as backup, and the entire coach froze solid, including a 70 gallon water tank. Only thing that ruptured were the plastic water traps on the sinks.

I live in North Louisiana, usual lows in mid-20s and my only prep for winter storage is to set thermostat on electric heaters at 55 and open the cabinets to expose interior sink plumbing. Water tanks (not heated) never freeze under these conditions. HOWEVER, I had a water filter canister and water pump fitting in the utility bay rupture due to freeze up.

Finally, not relevant to an overnight freeze, but while wintering in Kansas City, had the door lock ice up and freeze locked. Took about an hour of hair dryer on the lock before I was able to leave for work. They make a lock deicer to prevent this, but at the time, had no idea there was such an item.
RubberNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 03:12 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
You are 100% correct, I still want to know where it say's that a Cedar Creek is 4 seasons as stated above in another post?....

It says all season, there is only four, it does not say three season. It use to say four season but I think C/C toned it down some

spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 03:23 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
this is all I found on the web site under options: Seen nothing that say's 4 seasons ready

"Enclosed and insulated underbelly with 12 volt heating pads on all holding tanks (R38)" This also on there site NOTE :"When storing your recreational vehicle through periods of freezing weather in an unheated environment, it will be necessary to winterize the water system. Damage to the water system components will result if the proper winterization steps are not taken.
NOTE:
They are talking about storing the camper, my Cedar Creek is not stored, I use camper every month, I go at least once a month, cold or not. Last year it was cold in NC and my 30RL Cedar Creek did not freeze up, I keep heat on it all the time. I have it hooked up to a 100 gal LP tank. But this Cedar Creek is built a little different. It has to get down to below twenty for me to give it much thought

Old 08-23-2015, 03:44 PM   #35

Spock..I also camp every month here in NC but don't have the setup at home like you. I end up winterizing 3 or 4 times a year but only takes 10 minutes. Winter camping rocks, and we've never had a problem, even without heated tanks.
Your setup at home sounds perfect.

The world is a great book, of which those who never stir from home
read only a page. - St. Augustine
mjones12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 03:47 PM   #36

You have no worries at all. 28F for a quick low is nothing. It will not freeze.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 04:04 PM   #37

I camped in 08 in Yellowstone in a Keystone Springdale travel trailer and snow was two feet high in early June, I don't know how cold it got but nothing froze, it snowed the three nights we were in Canyon Campground. It was FUN

Old 08-23-2015, 04:31 PM   #38

As long as it warms up to the mid 40's during the day you'll be fine. rockfordroo was right, if you want water first thing in the morning drain that hose.
Las Cruces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 04:35 PM   #39

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
Youroo,,,,,the underbelly is sealed off and the owner's info packet states the unit is safe down to 9 degrees if we use the furnace instead of space heaters,,,,We also turn on the tank heaters,,,,all three of them.....and since we're full timers,,,that's not a problem.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 04:37 PM   #40

Quote:
It says all season, there is only four, it does not say three season. It use to say four season but I think C/C toned it down some

That could be true I do not doubt you but STILL FR> doesn't make a true 4 season TT. Like Artic, I can camp down to zero, but I have to take precautions, If I had a artic I wouldn't have that problem. I don't care what div. you buy from at FR they will tell you that it is 3 seasons construction but with prep you can take the cold weather. like a heated hose, tank heaters and hot air blowing from your furnace in the belly. That is still 3 season not 4 season. You would run out of propane in two days...