Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2015, 05:40 PM   #1

Jacking trailer

First off I am new to this so please be gentle.

I am planning on lifting my trailer this weekend on six 6k camico jack stands. this is a semi permanent installation and we do not plan on moving the trailer any time soon. I am thinking that it would be best to get the tires and axel off the ground to help prevent the tires and bearings from getting a flat spot. Is there any issues with doing this? I thought that it would make the trailer more stable as well as there would be no "spring" in it any more.

Any advise would help.

I should add it is a 2015 Hemisphere 272RLIS 35'
ggoodguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 05:56 PM   #2

Is your (BASE) cement if so I see no issues doing this! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 05:58 PM   #3

X2
Old 06-18-2015, 05:59 PM   #4

it is gravel and I was going to brace the jack stands on patio stones (after levelling them)
ggoodguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:15 PM   #5

For a semi permanent situation, I would probably want to put it on pressure treated lumber rather than jack stands. Distributing weight as much as possible on the ground will help with settling issues, and on the frame it will help prevent "tweaking" the frame.

With just jack stands you run the risk of one jack settling more than others creating uneven support and twisting that could lead to other problems.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 06:18 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Would be great if you could get 3 or 4 rr ties and put the jack stands on the ties.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:43 PM   #7

A lot of people do this. It will save your tires, bearings and races from flat spots. Just make sure the trailer is sitting straight. You could twist the frame and put stress on the body and frame work that could cause stress cracks over time. As long as the jack stands are evenly spaced along the frame and equally supporting the trailer you should be good. Also, support the axles with blocks or stands. Don't just let them hang by the springs. Another thing, even if your are not planning to move the trailer I would still spin the wheels and activate the brakes with a truck every once and a while to prevent the brakes from rusting in place. Your brakes should be good for a while but I've seen trailers less than 2 years old that had the brake mechanisms almost completely covered with rust. This also depends on the environment the trailer is in too. Every couple of years I would pull the wheel drums to repack the bearings and replace the grease seals. Clean and lube the brake mechanisms. This will prevent you from getting an expensive surprise years later if you decide to take your camper out on the road.
OneRoomShed Trailer Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 07:14 PM   #8

Thanks very much for all the replys and some excellent advice. I will use the RR tie plan as I have a bunch on the property, and also support the axle. I have lifted the trailer a little on PT lumber and ties, but the problem now is it is making it very easy for mice and chipmunks to hang out. I was hoping that by using the jack posts this will eliminate that problem.

Thanks,

Tags
trailer