Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2019, 05:18 PM   #1

Jayco class C Greyhawk gas engines

Considering trading in 5th for C. Always had diesel trucks and I’m a little concerned with the gas V10. Any personal experience with this model in going thru hills and mountains ? Seems like gas is only option in Jayco regular class Cs. Trying to downsize and don’t want super C.
Greg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 06:08 PM   #2

Been through the mountains of Colorado with a 32 ft C towing an Escape on an open car trailer. You won't run the speed limit up hill unless you like hearing the engine scream at 6 grand,but most times a little faster then the 18 wheelers.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:51 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg0 View Post
Considering trading in 5th for C. Always had diesel trucks and I’m a little concerned with the gas V10. Any personal experience with this model in going thru hills and mountains ? Seems like gas is only option in Jayco regular class Cs. Trying to downsize and don’t want super C.
Not sure why you're asking about a Jayco Motorhome, in a Forest River forum, since Jayco is not a FR product.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:02 PM   #4

Great question Dan, my experience indicates lots of RVers trade and change RVs from time to time. Haven’t noticed a lot of brand loyalty so I’m just reaching out to a larger community. Currently I’m in a Forest River product.
Greg0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 01:18 PM   #5

I have a Coachmen Class C, 30ft, same Ford V10 engine. Have been to Alaska and back, through the mountains of Colorado, with no problems. I pass semi's going both up and down, but of course, it's not as fast as a car. The Ford 6 speed trans does a great job of shifting appropriately going up, and downshifting as needed when going downhill, to conserve brakes. This is without a toad. Seems that the feedback on this forum is positive re this engine/ trans combo.
donkro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 06:29 PM   #6

Does the OP plan to toad. I can ditto what donkro wrote with our 30' C.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:02 AM   #7

We have the same engine in our Lexington. Never gone through the Rockies but no problems in the east coast. We have a short 7 percent hill in our area - we won’t win the drag race but no issues getting up it lol.

Phil, Heather & Olaf the Boxer
Ontario Canada
Lexington 283GTS
oldsmasma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:40 PM   #8

Same engine in our Sunseeker 3010DS. We have put 5000 miles on it in the last 3 months use since we got it. Id, MT, WY, and CO from 3000 to 8000 foot elevation with no issues.
Blank is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class c, gas