Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2016, 01:52 PM   #1

John Pennekamp State Park, Florida Keys

Good news: we snagged a 2 week reservation at a park in the Fl. keys for next March. Bad news, we perused Bahia Honda, Long Key, Curry Hammock but not John Pennekamp. The pictures on ReserveAmerica are worthless. What do y'all know? sunny? shady? cramped? room for slide outs and awning? campfires allowed? We got site 43. DH and I love reading all the posts. Now spend more time on the Forum than Facebook. LOL!
RoyalFrog2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 06:52 AM   #2

Doesn't matter, you'll be in the Keys!

Check out the tripadvisor forums - there are many threads on camping in the Keys, and good info on the state park campgrounds.

Enjoy your trip!

Don, Kim, Donny Jr., Sarge, Ginger & Buddy ~ Pittsburgh, PA
Sharps45120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 11:59 AM   #3

Congratulations! Awesome to be in the keys. Pennekamp is a very nice park with lots to do there. Campsites? Well, they are really close to the neighbors and they are set back in the mangroves. Bring lots of repellant for the bugs. Definitely LEAVE the park and go explore the upper keys area. Great restaurants and bars along the way.
makolab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:17 PM   #4

Long lines to get in at open, but other than that there is plenty to do and it's a great park.

They probably have the best boat rental rates in the entire Keys with fuel included. Last summer we rented a center console for two days, went out into the Atlantic for some of the best fishing ever and snorkeled at several reefs.
Austintatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 12:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalFrog2 View Post
Good news: we snagged a 2 week reservation at a park in the Fl. keys for next March. Bad news, we perused Bahia Honda, Long Key, Curry Hammock but not John Pennekamp. The pictures on ReserveAmerica are worthless. What do y'all know? sunny? shady? cramped? room for slide outs and awning? campfires allowed? We got site 43. DH and I love reading all the posts. Now spend more time on the Forum than Facebook. LOL!
I have stayed there a couple of times. You will be parked on what I call crushed shells, very dusty, very close spaces. Was able to get the awning up no real shade trees, row of bushes between spots on most. Bring Bug Repellent. Very nice small beach, has a boat launch. Also has gates that close at night, but they give you a code. Big Grocery store about a block away. On the south end of Key Largo. Nice Restaurants close by like the Big Chill (jimmy Johnson) owner a couple miles north, A must stop if your a football fan...Have fun.. PS: I don't remember fire pits, and I don't remember any picnic tables in your space, could have changed been a couple of years now.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote