Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2014, 03:32 PM   #1

Just a little venting

Well, we bought our rv (2012 XLR Thunderbolt) in the beginning of February. It is still sitting at the dealer and we have made two payments on it. The previous owner had stripped the entertainment system out of it so it is being replaced. The dealer got the parts in after about a month (so they say) and they had sent the wrong thing. They put a rush order on the correct parts and so far, we still have no rv. They were nice enough (I guess) to allow us to take it out camping one weekend prior to it being finished and we found lots of issues with it. We wrote them all down and gave them the list. I think the worst thing was the kitchen slide didn't want to slide out properly.
I had hoped that when I joined this forum that I would have something fun to write about, but we are just plain aggravated that we don't even have our rv yet. When we took it back to the dealer after our weekend get away, they said they would put a rush on it and make ours their top priority. It's been nearly a month since we dropped it back off. We will be moving soon from the west coast to the east (which is one of the reasons we wanted an rv to begin with) and it's all on hold right now waiting on them. Not a happy camper here! Not a camper at all. Has anyone else had to wait for so long?
big green hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:06 PM   #2

That's rough sauce. Have they explained at all why it's taking so long? It takes a long time in spring because of the backlog of folks buying and prepping to go out but given your case I'd probably get really, really mouthy at this point.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 04:10 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

And if possible either you or your wife spend every day sitting in the service managers office or the owners office giving him/her the evil eye.
Old 04-11-2014, 07:52 PM   #4

I would mention that you might seek a suite citing "unfair trade practice's" this might light a fire under them.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forest River Forums mobile app
Old 04-13-2014, 12:24 AM   #5

Not a word from them at all. I'm not sure what to do about it. Anyone ever have any luck with getting out of the purchase or do we just have to continue to wait for them to get it done? The last I heard from them they had put a rush on the part they needed, but it's been nearly a month since I've heard anything at all. We might just ride up there tomorrow to see if they've even touched it and where they have it parked.
Old 04-13-2014, 07:18 AM   #6

Dealer was nice enough to let you use it while you wait for parts to come in?

Wake up! You are the owner of the RV. Use your RV and when the parts come in, then take it back to dealer only AFTER you have an appointment to have ALL parts installed and ALL repairs to be made. Get an estimate on how many days to do the repairs and hold them to it. This is why you made the appointment in the first place.

Don't let a dealer hijack your summer fun. Making payments on something you are not using sucks. Enjoy your RV with it's current defects. Before you know it, all will be good again.

While you are waiting for parts to come in, go visit other dealers in your area. Talk to the service manager and tell them your situation. You just may find a plan B or even a better plan A dealer to take your rig to in the future. Don't get stuck with just one option for servicing your RV!
SammySabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 11:28 AM   #7

Walk into the dealer. Don't call. Don't write a note. Go there. Demand to speak to the service manager. Not the service writer. Not the parts guy.

Once you have the service manager demand that he explain why you've been backburnered on a unit you bought in good faith but can't use.

Once he trips over that (Because there's no good answer to this.) demand that he get the sales and general manager for a meeting.

Make the service manager explain himself to the sales and general manager, at this point you have one thing to say.

If they don't have your unit ready to pick up in one week then the following Monday you're going to make a phone call to legal council and see what your options are.

No more arguments, no more discussion. You've been more than nice and it's time to light a fire under them.

Old 04-13-2014, 03:03 PM   #8

I totally agree with Sammy Sabre. Good advise. Use it until your parts come and they can fix it. Did they fix the slide problems? The slide problem could be a reason not to use it until fixed.

The season is just beginning, go out and enjoy your camper. In most cases the dealer will take care of you. It is a very busy time for them now. Be patient good things come to those who wait.

2012 F250 Super Duty
2013 Sabre 33CKTS
BuckeyeChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 05:27 PM   #9

Just got done talking to them and nothing has been done. The slide is not fixed. They have no idea where the parts are or even if Forest River has ordered them from Panasonic....which is what they tell me has to be done in order for it to fit and something about them not being made anymore. They supposedly are going to find out today where the parts are and let me know...but that was hours ago. Not sure how long it takes. Everything that was wrong with it is still wrong with it. It also needs a valve cover replaced (missing) on the outside that they say is not in yet either.
Taking the rv out is not really the big issue. The issue is we are moving next month, 3000 miles away from here and we bought the rv in order to make this trip more enjoyable. We bought it early so that we would have time to take it out and work out any problems with it. We too it back to them with a long list of issues and now finding that they have done nothing to it since then because they are waiting on parts that they don't even know if they have been ordered....well, I'm pissed to say the least! Oh, I also found out today, due to a slip of the tongue, that our rv had been broken into and robbed, which is why there are no electronics in it. That never came up during the selling part of the deal.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:34 PM   #10

I'll say it one last time. Lawyer up.

Contact one and ask how much to draft the correct letter stating intent to take it to to the next level if promised repairs are not made within a week. Odds are they'll tell you a couple of hundred dollars.

Nail them to the wall or they'll will not get it done in a timely fashion. I'm telling you, you have to literally hit them in the wallet or they'll not move an inch.

Old 04-16-2014, 05:49 PM   #11

That sucks. I don't wish that on anyone.
I just went thru something similar. Not as bad, but upsetting enough to say i am not sure i even want it after all this. But now it is home and i could not be happier.

They must have cut you a killer deal to convince you to buy it with all that tore out. I would not be surprised if " the last owner took it out" is the common answer when they get broke into.

I hope the light at the end of the tunnel is not a train.
parpar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 06:00 PM   #12

You need to go there. Call them and tell them you are coming. I learned the hard way you have to be there.
Debbie
Old 04-17-2014, 02:45 PM   #13

Well, yesterday they worked on finding out information on where the parts are we needed and called me at 6pm saying they left 3 messages with the owner of forest river. Said they went straight to the top because we are moving and don't have time to mess! Haha! BUT....also came up with, here's another deal we can offer you. We give you $300 to $500 for a new surround system (depending on what it was going to cost originally) or we can go to Best Buy and get the closest thing we can find and make it fit perfectly. I told them we would think about it and to wait on the phone call to see where the parts are to begin with. So this morning they called and apparently the owner at Forest River is sending a Harmon Kardon surround system that fits it and it will be here in three (business) days. They will be able to get everything else done on it in the meantime and should have our camper by next weekend. Getting excited!!
Old 04-17-2014, 02:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by parpar1 View Post
That sucks. I don't wish that on anyone.
I just went thru something similar. Not as bad, but upsetting enough to say i am not sure i even want it after all this. But now it is home and i could not be happier.

They must have cut you a killer deal to convince you to buy it with all that tore out. I would not be surprised if " the last owner took it out" is the common answer when they get broke into.

I hope the light at the end of the tunnel is not a train.
Yes, they did originally say the owner took it out. According to online, we paid the going rate for it....but we made sure to add that all electronics were to be replaced since it was still under warranty and they threw in free storage for 6 months, $500 to buy things from their parts store, two chairs, and allowed me to purchase any bedspread I wanted and they cut me a check to cover it. We also got $200 for referring a friend to them. So it wasn't too bad of a deal. Now if we could only use it!! lol
Old 04-17-2014, 03:06 PM   #15

This is where we set up camp the one time we took it out. It was so peaceful...no one else around. Ready for round two!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3009.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	50072
Old 04-17-2014, 03:09 PM   #16

Your problems have only just begun. Since you are moving from the Left cost to the confused Right coast, it would have been best to wait and buy one from where you are moving to. It is hard to grab the first Dealers tie and jerk on it to get his attention if you are thousands and thousands of miles away. Expect some hassle to where ever you take your unit to get it worked on until you get a rapport with the next RV service center.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 03:10 PM   #17
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by big green hat View Post
This is where we set up camp the one time we took it out. It was so peaceful...no one else around. Ready for round two!!

Attachment 50072

Nice...hope everything works out for y'all!

Old 04-17-2014, 04:25 PM   #18

First, happy it seems that things are finally going the right way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by big green hat View Post

Attachment 50072
Second, where exactly is that and do they have monthly sites at affordable rates?

Old 04-17-2014, 05:33 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKnight View Post
First, happy it seems that things are finally going the right way.Second, where exactly is that and do they have monthly sites at affordable rates?

This is in Rockport, Washington at a place called Howard Miller Steelhead Park. They fill up fast but it's a great place. Prices are really good. It costs us $100 for 4 nights. There are mountains on all sides, lots of walking trails and a river that runs along that has beautiful aqua colored water. I'm not sure about monthly sites but my guess would be they will let you stay as long as you want to. The owner is a very nice guy named Rusty. We happened to go here on the weekend of the OSO mudslide that killed so many people. The campground is right down the road from that and we had driven that same road covered by mud in order to get there. Needless to say, we had to take a different route home. Anyway, if you have a chance to go here, do it! It's great! Especially in winter when no one is there!
Old 04-17-2014, 05:39 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
Your problems have only just begun. Since you are moving from the Left cost to the confused Right coast, it would have been best to wait and buy one from where you are moving to. It is hard to grab the first Dealers tie and jerk on it to get his attention if you are thousands and thousands of miles away. Expect some hassle to where ever you take your unit to get it worked on until you get a rapport with the next RV service center.

I'm sure you are right. That was our plan, to buy early enough to be able to take it out and work out all of the quirks before our trip and to have it as a convenience along the way. My husband is very handy and likes to work on things....so unless it's something drastic, he will fix it himself. We had an older camper that he completely gutted and put back together. Sold it for $3000 more than we bought it for!
Yep......going to the "right" coast!

Tags
vent