Old 05-11-2016, 11:50 AM   #1

Just became an SOB

We decided to upgrade our Mini Lite to a 5er. We looked at the Wildcat 29 RLX as we have been very satisfied with our Forest River product. Unfortunately the local Wildcat Dealer leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to sales and more importantly, service. The dealer, even after multiple statements that we were interested in buying, never would produce a purchase price, only a long dissertation on how our trade in would have to be at wholesale. Only mention of selling price was when I mentioned the show price and he said that was only good during the show. I did find RV Wholesalers ready to deal and at what looked like a very good price but they are over 800 miles away.

The local dealer we purchased our Mini Lite from has been very helpful when we had a single warranty issue and handled it promptly. They no longer carry Forest River Products with the exception of Salem TT's. We found an Open Range LF297RLS that exceeded our list of requisites and the dealer came within $1500 of the best price I could find in Texas and Michigan.

I am aware, and the Forum has reinforced my belief that Service is as important as price and in many instances more important. My Dealer has been excellent in both Service and sales.

So here I am, owner of an Open Range LF297RLS Fifth Wheel. After reading the many observations on payload capacity on this Forum, I am confident I will be well within the stated payload of 2254 LB on the door sticker of my GMC 2500 All Terrain with a Manufacturer stated pin weight of 1420 LB. empty.

Thank you all for your experiences and you shared knowledge.

Days Camped. 2015: 17
Days Camped 2016: 58
keeprr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 11:54 AM   #2

Happy Trails,you have left the "FROGS to become a HOG"! Youroo!!

Old 05-11-2016, 12:01 PM   #3
(Dry Huunday)

Having a service dealer that you can trust is invaluable!! Congrats on your new rig!!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 12:23 PM   #4
Georgia Frog Rally 2017

At times one may need to cross over to meet there requirements. Congrats and good luck on your new purchase. Enjoy Later RJD
2015 Chevy 2500 6.0 4:10 gearing.
Days camped in 2015--46
Days booked for 2016--60 missed by 2
Days camped in 2016 58
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 08:59 AM   #5

My wife looked for months at 5th wheels, the local dealer was $10K over MSRP, has decent reputation for service and I worked for the owner in the mid-70's when he owned a Ford dealership.

It came down to two volume selling dealers, one in Fife, WA and the other in Turlock, CA. We could buy for $9K less than MSRP, one 220 miles away, the other 700 miles. The local dealer matched the other prices, plus the cost of what it would of cost us to drive to and from.

We sold our 2003 Jayco class C after buying for more than the dealer would ever give. Best advice is continue to shop around, you'll find a deal that will make you happy. Try selling your RV yourself, it's not that hard, ours sold to the first looker.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:14 PM   #6

Try RVDirect.com Everything is 20-40% off Retail, plus monthly specials. It was well worth the drive for me. Good luck!
Old 05-12-2016, 03:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41ford View Post
My wife looked for months at 5th wheels, the local dealer was $10K over MSRP, has decent reputation for service and I worked for the owner in the mid-70's when he owned a Ford dealership.

It came down to two volume selling dealers, one in Fife, WA and the other in Turlock, CA. We could buy for $9K less than MSRP, one 220 miles away, the other 700 miles. The local dealer matched the other prices, plus the cost of what it would of cost us to drive to and from.

We sold our 2003 Jayco class C after buying for more than the dealer would ever give. Best advice is continue to shop around, you'll find a deal that will make you happy. Try selling your RV yourself, it's not that hard, ours sold to the first looker.

If you bought from Best RV in Turlock don't even bother trying to get warranty work done.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 05-13-2016, 08:23 AM   #8

[QUOTE=Pill Billy;1192971]If you bought from Best RV in Turlock don't even bother trying to get warranty work done.

We didn't buy from them, we bought local. The dealer here matched their price plus $800, the cost for us to drive there and back.

RV season is upon us, around here, it's about a 2-week wait to get in for warranty or any type of work. I took mine down just to have them look, so I wouldn't have to wait another 2-weeks after being diagnosed, then wait for parts to come in. Mine was just a fuse for the landing legs and they installed a circuit breaker.

I agreed to fix the light over the island, a nut just vibrated off. I will fix that today with some Locktite.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:35 AM   #9

When we traded in our TT, we went with an Open Range 5er as well. It's in my signature. So far, we love it!

2016 Trips:16 Nights:41
2015 Trips:13 Nights:29
2014 Trips:13 Nights:31
CarolinaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 07:01 PM   #10

Just finished a five week, 3800 mile trip with our Open Range Light 297 RLS. Very, very comfortable. Two minor problems with coach but easily fixed with help from a dealer in Virginia.

Days Camped. 2015: 17
Days Camped 2016: 58
keeprr is offline   Reply With Quote