Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2016, 08:25 PM   #1

Just got our Wally Receiver for Dish Tailgater

I have been using an older VIP 211K for several years with our Tailgater. I have been concerned about the heat it generates (this unit we had for several years before our Tailgater) and the heat seems to have become worse.

I tried the VIP 211Z and it had some problems out of the box, so I returned it and decided to try the new Wally Receiver.

I really like it! It is a lot more high tech. than either of the 211's. It is very user friendly and has lot's of on screen help and features as well. It is more like the better receivers that you would find in your home...that don't work with the tailgater.

One of my favorite perks is the remote: (a) I could never get the old remote to pair up with the Hisence TV (b) The on screen set up has all the codes built in so no looking up codes for your TV,DVD etc... just scroll through and find your brand/model. (c) Remote does not need "line of site"..in other words I can change channel from the bedroom or while sitting watching the TV outside (d) Lot's of neat features I haven't really tried yet!

It does not have the RF (cable) output to output to the rest of the rig..but I bought a RF Modulator that take your A/V outputs from the Walley and converts it over to coax. Price about $10-$12 bucks from Amazon.

I know it's early in the ride...just installed it yesterday...but I think Dish as finally came up with a great little receiver with RVer's/Tailgaters in mind. The CSR at Dish said he had only commissioned around 5 or 6. I have a feeling as people see and hear more about them, that number will take off.

The Wally was $81.00 online and I bought it on Amazon from The Connection Depot (great folks that had no problem with the return of the 211Z)

Thanks and I hope everyone is enjoying our Independence Weekend!

TedT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 08:35 PM   #2

I did forget 1 thing...it took a little while for the original setup. It has to download software and so forth. But, it then saves it to memory so it doesn't take near as long after that.

I have a regular dish on my shop right next to where I park the RV and tried it as well. I had no problems going between the 2, just have to do the check switch step at the beginning and all is good. I usually have the regular dish hooked up while at home and then use the tailgater when we travel.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:56 PM   #3
code.org

Thank you

Looking for a satellite solution and had narrowed it down to Dish and a Tailgater when I saw the new Wally receiver on the Dish website. I immediately began looking for reviews on the Wally and found yours. Thank you for the good information. I will post a review when I receive mine.
moff34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 08:46 PM   #4

Thanks for the info! I have been looking at this for a few days and you answered all my questions except one: when hooked up to the tailgater and you turn off the power ( or shut down the generator) and then turn it back on, does it boot up faster than than the 211? That was my one complaint about the 211k was the time it took to run through all the tests and reload the program guide each time you powered it up.... Even if you had just shut off the power a few minutes before.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Thanks for the info! I have been looking at this for a few days and you answered all my questions except one: when hooked up to the tailgater and you turn off the power ( or shut down the generator) and then turn it back on, does it boot up faster than than the 211? That was my one complaint about the 211k was the time it took to run through all the tests and reload the program guide each time you powered it up.... Even if you had just shut off the power a few minutes before.
I think it is about the same as far as that goes...haven't tried powering down too many times yet. One thing I did catch the other night...I could not opt out of the "downloading guide"...so that may not be faster.

I was told the menu and all is real close to the Hopper to give you an idea of the "main difference" from the 211.

Good luck!
Old 07-15-2016, 09:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff34 View Post
Looking for a satellite solution and had narrowed it down to Dish and a Tailgater when I saw the new Wally receiver on the Dish website. I immediately began looking for reviews on the Wally and found yours. Thank you for the good information. I will post a review when I receive mine.
Thanks and good luck!
Old 07-15-2016, 10:20 PM   #7

Nice... I can't wait to try out the local channel integration from antenna (with adapter) that they talk about. Thanks again for the info.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:10 AM   #8

The antenna adapter works great but doesn't play well with the DVR function, at least for us. Since we watch and record mostly network channels we skip the adapter and change our current location to get the locals through Dish.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 10:42 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
The antenna adapter works great but doesn't play well with the DVR function, at least for us. Since we watch and record mostly network channels we skip the adapter and change our current location to get the locals through Dish.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K
Ah... Good to know! Yep, we have dish change our address currently also. Thought it might be nice to be able to skip that part. Sometimes it's very easy to do and once in awhile you get a knucklehead that makes it difficult
Old 07-16-2016, 12:06 PM   #10

We have had our setup for 4 years and don't know if anything has changed, like an adapter upgrade. They may not even sell our adapter anymore, don't know. We basically DVR everything we watch so our adapter sits in a box.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote