Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2015, 01:49 PM   #1

Just got TT our of indoor storage...a few questions.

When we bought our first TT, the dealership gave us free indoor storage until April 1 so we just got it out of storage on Wednesday. We are not able to store it at our house right now so it's being stored at our daughter's. We are so excited to start doing some decorating and making it feel like our own.
Just a couple questions, though. Do we keep the stabilizers down all the time while it is not being used? We will be going in it probably a couple times a week to do work on it and just enjoy being in it, so do we put the stabilizers down only when we are going to be in it, or leave them down all the time? When it was stored inside, we never put them down even for the times we were inside of it. My husband said when he put them down the first time, they were hard to get down. Can we use a lubricant on them? What kind and where to use it at?
Also, I had heard that the fridge can be damaged if the TT is not level. Does that mean when the fridge is running or even when it's not? How much off level would it have to be in order to damage it? Our is not completely level but just a tad off from side to side. Do we have to get it completely level?
Old 04-03-2015, 02:44 PM   #2

Nice trailer!!
We keep our 23LB in our concrete driveway at home when not using it. I will usually keep one of the rear stabilizers down to keep it from rocking so much when I am in and out of it. I would recommend a wood board under the foot if not on pavement to keep water off the foot. A little silicone spray on the screw rod on the stabilizers will help in putting them up and down.
Do you have the Murphy bed?
Are we having fun yet??
tipakajohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 03:20 PM   #3

Keeping the stabs down is just fine! Many of us keep ours pretty much set up at our homes between trips. Put a piece of wood or leveling block between their pad foot and ground/pavement to give them a longer life between painting!

You can absolutely lubricate them, and you would be well-served using a lubricant that does not collect and attract dirt to do so. A good graphite dry lube works great and can be purchases at most any auto parts or home improvement center. You would apply it on the screw mechanisms (very obvious when you are up close to them) and on the pivot points for the arms.

Regarding the fridge, when running. There's a real technical answer for the out-of-plumb and newer units are more tolerant, but I like to share the simpler by feel and observation judgement with newbies. That is, 1) if it is obvious and slightly uncomfortable to you walking in the camper, then the lean is too much for the fridge so re-level, and 2) if you open the fridge door and it wants to quickly shut or open itself (depending on the lean direction) you should re-level.
Old 04-03-2015, 03:32 PM   #4

If I plan on going in and out a bit then I put them down on a couple of boards.
During extended nonuse they are up to remove two points where critters may enter.

Old 04-03-2015, 04:27 PM   #5

Thanks for the help, everyone. As for the levelness of the camper, it is just a small amount off level that when we were in it, we couldn't even tell it was off at all so I think it will be ok.
We do not have the Murphy bed in ours. It seems like most people do. We had a pop-up camper for 6 years, sold it on a Tuesday in January and found this camper on Craigslist on Friday and bought it that day. So it was a quick turnaround but we absolutely loved the inside of it with the cherry woodwork, the wood-look floors and the stainless steel appliances so we decided right then to purchase it. I know most people choose the Murphy bed option to have more floor space but we are fine with our regular queen bed. It will mostly be just my husband and I with the grandkids along every now and then. The previous owners had even switched the original mattress for a memory foam mattress so I think we are going to really enjoy it and can't wait to start camping

Tags
door, storage