Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2019, 11:22 PM   #1

Just like the infamous CH751 key!

I just thought I'd share this - not necessarily an RV thing but I'm guessing some RV'ers may have something similar. Recently we have been helping my MIL transition from living in her 5th wheel to living in a senior/assisted living facility. When we were moving her we found an old SentrySafe that she had used for important papers & stuff.

Because it was open and the key was lost I just ordered a new one (they're pretty cheap) for her. When we took the new one over to her apartment, just for grins I decided to try the key from the new one in her old one. Guess what, the keys were identical! I guess that could have been a one in a million match but I'm thinking it's that they all use the same key
Only one shedding mutt now RIP Yoshi
larry2c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 11:42 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry2c View Post
I just thought I'd share this - not necessarily an RV thing but I'm guessing some RV'ers may have something similar. Recently we have been helping my MIL transition from living in her 5th wheel to living in a senior/assisted living facility. When we were moving her we found an old SentrySafe that she had used for important papers & stuff.

Because it was open and the key was lost I just ordered a new one (they're pretty cheap) for her. When we took the new one over to her apartment, just for grins I decided to try the key from the new one in her old one. Guess what, the keys were identical! I guess that could have been a one in a million match but I'm thinking it's that they all use the same key
I have a couple similar small safes that are bolted to the wall. I lost the key to one a while back and posted on a local facebook page asking about a locksmith. Somebody recommended I save my money and just google it. I learned how to fashion a bobby pin that will instantly open almost any lock. It took me about 2 minutes to manipulate the bobby pin. About 3 seconds to open the safe.
Old 12-10-2019, 12:06 AM   #3
Retired Old Fart

Don't waste money on any of the small Sentry type safe boxes or small fire/security safes. Any detective will tell you they are easy to open by dropping them on a certain spot. I can't tell you how many I've opened this way. One drop, and pop they are open! A better safe will come from a locksmith and be one you can bolt into a cabinet in the trailer. It will have locking bolts or lugs on all 4 sides for the better ones.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2019, 03:56 PM   #4

We had a padlock on our shed at the cottage. The key to it worked in pretty much everything. 1972 Olympic snomobile yep. A 1969 SnoJet yep the boat sure it even worked in the generator the snowblower and a seadoo. Whenever a key went missing just grab the shed key lol!
AceCombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 04:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry2c View Post

Yep, been there! The DW has three Sentry (small safes) obtained over 42 years of marriage and inherited from her mother. She said she had no idea where the keys were so after some research, I sent the serial numbers and ordered two not three because the third was “in storage”.

Lo and behold when they arrived I was a bit miffed because I ordered following their instructions the keys fit two and when I checked, they fit the third. There is no difference between them. Now I see you can buy them on eBay and don’t need to send the serial number.

BTW, at the end of the torture of packing and selling the S&B, we found all three keys. Now we have five! Identical keys.

FUN!
RobertDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 09:00 AM   #6

Safe Thank You!

Thanks for the tip. My brother-in-law moved in when he was I'll and has sin e passed away. My husband passed away a few month later. I recently discovered my BILs safe among his belongings, but no key!
Gigi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 06:31 PM   #7

Keys

Same thing on riding lawnmower keys, Briggs & Stratton keys fit 90% of the electric start mowers. My 20 year old key fits my $6K Ferris zero turn and Toro Commercial. When I worked for tractor supply company, people used to get irritated when I told that the $3 B&S key was the same as the $10 name brand rider key. They got 2 keys for $3 VS 1 for $10.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 10:21 PM   #8

Sentry safes are not Security Safes. At their very best they are merely fire safes and then only marginal. If the fire dept gets there soon enough your papers may still be intact.

As for bolting to the floor or wall? Thieves will just pry them off with whatever kind of prying device they find in the garage while ransacking it.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 10:53 PM   #9

Tractors, Heavy Equipment , Lawn Mowers, Golf Carts and on and on..... many different things have the same keys.

Someone at the campground was totally shocked when they found out my golf cart key fit theirs and many others.................

All I have to do is go into a John Deere dealer and tell the I want a key for a my XXXX model tractor. They will have about 100 in the drawer.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote