Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2017, 11:17 AM   #41

I can Google "alien cats" and get as much relevant information as RV fires.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/motherb...spiracy-theory
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:18 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I can Google "alien cats" and get as much relevant information as RV fires.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/motherb...spiracy-theory
For sure......I've not seen one article about RV fires in Canada due to propane being on.

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:18 AM   #43
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLewie View Post
Google "RV fires" and look at pix of burning rigs that ignited at gas stations because fumes from the pumps were sparked by the WH burner. It's rare, but it has happened. If it happens to you its a risk of 100%. A shut off fridge with the door closed loses 1 degree an hour, which means you have virtually no risk of food spoilage or frozen food thawing during an 8 hour drive.

And yes, I know lots of folks think this is being over cautious, and I also know this response will result in a lot of name calling, which I won't respond to. I was a Boy Scout and I take the scout motto "Be Prepared" seriously.

Google "RV's" and look at how many pix you get of burning ones.

Its so rare as to be a non-issue. I was a firefighter for 14 years. I have never seen an RV on fire. And honestly, if I did, I would almost have preferred an open, flowing propane line to the alternative (google BLEVE).

I have fought 3 real-actual propane fires and numerous ones in training. And I am here to tell you that I'd rather fight 10 propane fires over one gasoline fire, and nobody is going on about how we should drive with out fuel lines closed off. The second closest I have ever come to dying in a fire was fighting a fire in an old VW rabbit with a plastic fuel tank. When that sucker melted out and dumped 15 gallons of raw gasoline at my feet, I thought me and my crew were goners. Compared to that, a 3/4 inch propane line on fire is a birthday cake candle.

Can running propane cause a fire? Sure. But towing your RV down the road can also cause you to be hit by a crashing airplane. Lets not go out of our way to borrow trouble.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 11:21 AM   #44

I had the same question/issue with my 2011 Georgetown when we purchased it. My solution was to install a 1kw Xantrex MSW inverter with transfer switch and wire it to only power the fridge AC outlet. I removed the front control panel and remote mounted it between the sink counter top and a drawer beneath it.

When we drive, the 175A alternator easily provides the 27A (at 12V) that the fridge draws for the AC heating coil. I also installed an interrupt switch in the power line from the propane detector to the solenoid located at the propane tank. This allows me to shut off and turn on the propane at the tank from inside the rig.

Driving with the propane on might also have interesting consequences with your insurance if you loose the rig from a fire.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 08:39 PM   #45

I Enjoy Youroo's comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Yes turn on the Propane and the Refer,and Drive down the road! Youroo!!
I can not tell you how much joy I've gotten out of reading this FRF. Youroo thank you for your honest - accurate and fun responses.

When I want to relax and learn I read my FRF.

Thanks FRF Senior member's - you are INDEED a Blessing to many
Debbie
jdstrubel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 02:55 PM   #46

Keeping Refrigerator Cold While Driving

I switch my Inverter on just before leaving on a trip leg (typically 5 to 7 hours on the road driving). Notice I said Inverter...not converter. My refrigerator stays on during the entire trip. When I arrive at my new destination campground. I turn off the inverter as I switch over to electric power at the power pole. No propane used or turned during the trip. I would think an FR3 has an inverter, but I could be wrong. If you don't have one, it would be easy to install a good one. You can connect the refrigerator to the inverter and have ice and a cold refrigerator waiting for you after a long days drive.
2015 Sanibel 3901
OK-3 Wire...Living the dream
Gonetothedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 05:47 PM   #47

Propane on, fridge on, enjoy, i keep water pump on also, using the amenities while traveling is part of the fun. I have been doing it for ten years.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:56 PM   #48
Insert witty title here

I leave the water pump off for the same reason that I turn off the city water when I leave the camper. In the event of a plumbing failure, the camper won't flood.

2021 Transcend Xplor 247BH
Husky WDH with Sway Control
2021 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT 6.6L V8 Duramax
Forever in my memory. Forever in my heart.
Laurie J. Wood 3/22/67 - 8/23/19
timfromma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 09:28 AM   #49

Anytime I'm driving longer then 2-3 hours, I run fridge on propane depending on its contents. The only issues I've had is on a ferry boat (Had to shut it off and they parked me in a "special area"). I never shut off fridge at gas stations, I've never had the flame blow out.

On short 3 or less hour drives, I save my propane... normally just have a few frozen bottles of water in fridge, which keeps the contents pretty cold for the duration. I have never thought of the propane being on while driving a safety concern.
K2Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
refrigerator