Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2013, 07:05 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by clange View Post
We replaced our compartment keyed locks with the combination style locks. When I need to hide a set of keys (like when we go swimming) I put the spare keys in the compartment, spin the combination dial, and go have fun. Then I know that none of us has to keep up with a set of keys!
That would be a cheap good idea for my water heater door, thanks for that. You think that I would have thought of that, BUT I DIDN"T....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:30 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Previous post View Post
I learned a long time ago that locks only keep honest people honest and if someone wants in they will get in no matter what you do!
A few years back I was in my work parking lot and caught a guy going through pulling handles on the cars he was passing. I think we can safely say that locks will keep these guys looking for an easy score out as well.
2012 (6 nights), 2013 (32 nights), 2014 (26 nights), 2015 (37 nights), 2016 (14 nights)
mTn_biKer65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:38 PM   #23
Professional Curmudgeon

I keep all my keys in my TV. It has a built in keypad, so as long as I don't lose my mind, I can get in.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:59 PM   #24
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by mTn_biKer65 View Post
A few years back I was in my work parking lot and caught a guy going through pulling handles on the cars he was passing. I think we can safely say that locks will keep these guys looking for an easy score out as well.
There's truth in that. I live on a dark street in a quiet neighborhood with community pathways running up past the house. If we leave our car doors unlocked, it's a pretty regular occurrence that they'll rifle through the center console, glove box and ashtray. Sadly enough, they're not even good at that- we had a notepad covering our GPS and they didn't find it (or maybe it was archaic and they just didn't take it).

They've never jimmied the locks or broken any windows.

However, each of our side and back doors show signs of prybars being attempted. Our home alarm stopped them at the back sliding doors a couple of times that they forced the door open far enough to set it off. They've never gotten in the side garage door.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:15 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
I keep all my keys in my TV. It has a built in keypad, so as long as I don't lose my mind, I can get in.
That is a great answer, but at time's I forget my home telephone #.....

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 05:57 PM   #26
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
We keep a set of spare keys in oneo f those real estate combo lock boxes attached to the frame... works well!

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 07:00 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
That is a great answer, but at time's I forget my home telephone #.....

I took care of that problem years ago, I had AT& t shut it off and I junked the equipment.

How did we ever get by without cell phones....
Old 09-15-2013, 08:29 PM   #28

I have six keys for my rig. Door lock, storage lock, tongue/hitch locks, generators lock, gas cans lock and finally a gate key for my back yard where I keep my trailer. I keep a complete set in the truck in case I lose the first set while camping. I keep a spare truck key hidden on the truck.

Call it overkill, but I hate being locked out and stranded. Been there, done that in Cisco Georgia. Try finding a locksmith on July 4th weekend three miles up a winding trail on Jacks River.
grb2980 is offline   Reply With Quote