Old 05-21-2019, 11:07 AM   #1

King Pin Weld Issue

This weekend went fishing and when we loaded to leave noticed our 2012 forest river, wildcat fifth wheel was sitting very low. Was about to move the hitch when we notice the welds on the king pin had failed. (See Pics)

Can anyone tell me if they have had any success getting Forest River or Lippert to pay for the repair?

Thanks

JW
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190519_114307.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	246.0 KB
ID:	205093   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190519_114318.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	283.8 KB
ID:	205094   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190519_114324.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	227.0 KB
ID:	205095   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190519_114327.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	219.6 KB
ID:	205096  

TooFast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:30 AM   #2

Good luck. I have a buddy who has a 2009 Wildcat. His did the same thing a few years ago. I don't think he was successful with Forest River or Lippert with any compensation.

The good news is my buddy and his son both weld. The bad news it was a bear to get to the frame before welding could take place.

Old 05-21-2019, 11:34 AM   #3

Well, Lippert is who put it together to start with.

If it was me, I'd avoid Lippert at all costs, and just take it to a respected local welding shop and if they're any good they can fix it forever.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 11:52 AM   #4

My buddy's Wildcat collapsed in his driveway. No tow company would touch it. He had to do it all on the spot. You might have to tear it apart and then call in a mobile welder.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:37 PM   #5

That is not a weld failure. The welds held, it the metal around the weld that failed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooFast View Post
This weekend went fishing and when we loaded to leave noticed our 2012 forest river, wildcat fifth wheel was sitting very low. Was about to move the hitch when we notice the welds on the king pin had failed. (See Pics)

Can anyone tell me if they have had any success getting Forest River or Lippert to pay for the repair?

Thanks

JW
xd40c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 02:07 PM   #6

x2 on what xd40c said. This is not a weld issue. This is a material issue: The metal failed.

If this were mine, I'd consider an estimate for full replacement and Small Claims court. There is a materials issue that makes the whole assembly unsuitable for its intended purpose.

I also would not weld this unit and tow again. Since it is a material issue, when will it fail again?
Old 05-21-2019, 02:20 PM   #7

A seven year old Trailer ? I think this ones on you. Sorry. That should not have failed like that. As others said...the welding held, the steel around it failed.
TheWolfPaq82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 03:57 PM   #8

We had a similar failure on a new Keystone Cougar a number of years ago. Called the dealer right away, as I noticed the failure when backing into the back driveway after bringing the trailer home for the first time.

Dealer called back a few hours later, and offered full replacement, or if I wished, I could do it myself for the labor cost. Examining the hitch, I found the part that actually holds the pin is what failed, and the part welded to the trailer frame looked fine. So, I took this option. In a couple of days, UPS brought the whole assembly, and a return shipping ticket. It weighed nearly 140 pounds, by the way!

Our son and I unbolted and replaced the hitch, and found the cause appeared to be some gussets unwelded. the new unit was very nicely by the way!

The welding on the OP's trailer isn't that hot, but the material did fail. Had the welding been spread over a wider area, it would surely be better. I would suggest that both material and fabrication are at fault here, along with some perhaps overstressing of the assembly at some point.
Photo Lab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
A seven year old Trailer ? I think this ones on you. Sorry. That should not have failed like that. As others said...the welding held, the steel around it failed.
Could we have an overload problem?? ��
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 04:51 PM   #10

Years ago there where problems with the same thing, if I remember right lippert did step up and sent a person out to repair it at the guys house. Donít believe all this negative stuff about lippert, take pictures and email them in, you might be surprised. Wildcat had a problem with this. You can do a search on this forum about your problem. Good luck hope this helps a little.

Witch Doctor is online now   Reply With Quote