Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2019, 08:51 PM   #1

Ladder mount to wall

We have 2015 Hemisphere 5th Wheel. The screws that attach the roof access ladder to the back wall have pulled out. The screws seem short. I’m thinking get longer screws and see if they will hold. Anyone had this happen before? Thx
Kkv59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:37 PM   #2

Makes the screws don't go through the inside wall.
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 10:03 PM   #3

Yes! Thanks. Do you know if it mounts into metal or wood? My concern is that the holes in the wall are not holding but if it’s metal I don’t see how they could have compromised the hole and pulled out.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkv59 View Post
We have 2015 Hemisphere 5th Wheel. The screws that attach the roof access ladder to the back wall have pulled out. The screws seem short. I’m thinking get longer screws and see if they will hold. Anyone had this happen before? Thx

If you have inside access to where the screws would come thru the wall inside, I would drill all the way thru and use machine screws with washers or backing plate and nuts on the inside, ... if you don't have that inside access to do that, then longer screws or maybe Molly bolts might be your only other choice

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 02:36 AM   #5

Fella10's solution is the best if you have access to the inside wall where the bolts would come through. This will give you the strongest mount.

If not and you have to used screws, here are my thoughts if it were my camper:

Measure the thickness of the wall your mounting on if possible. Check this by opening a hatch door if there is one on the same wall, a window, etc. This will give you the length of the screw you need to stay under by about 3/16".

Try to utilize a stud finder and see if there is something solid where the ladder was mounted. If not, I would not remount it. I would be shocked if this were the case as it appears the camper is only 3 years old and ladder came as a factory accessory.

I would also fill the holes with tooth picks with glue on them. let them sit a day. Then use the longer screws and maybe a 1/16th larger in width if that would fit through the ladder mounting bracket/holes where the screws were. The extra width with make sure you bite new material when you remount.
Old 07-25-2019, 12:44 PM   #6

I would not screw around with it. I also had problems but bought an expandable 13' ladder on Amazon for about $90 or so. Sets at an angle so it is easier to climb.
Old 07-25-2019, 01:09 PM   #7

I never use my factory installed ladder either as i just do not trust the "weight limits" on it. I prefer to use my fold up ladder; i know that will never fail me
FFRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 04:09 PM   #8
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkv59 View Post
First contact your manufacturer and ask for prints of the frame. Next identify the area where the wood has been installed to allow the bolting of the ladder to the proper mounting surfaces. Next use the proper screws. That is what I did.
gjarrette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 07:26 PM   #9

Thanks for all the information, you’ve been a great help. We are going to contact the mfg first, then use an ice pick to probe the screw hole to determine what we are screwing in to and if it’s stable. Will go from there depending on what we find.
Old 07-25-2019, 07:30 PM   #10

my heritage glen was miss drilled from factory. they replaced the whole back wall under warranty. I barley noticed the caulk marks covering the missed spots.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 02:57 PM   #11

Google "RV ladder star nuts". Many if not all RV ladders have these inside the horizontal tubes of the ladder. These are what holds the ladder to the wall. These are an expanding fit and if rusted, pulled loose, or over tightened they must be replaced. You can buy these at most RV parts places or at a local bicycle repair shop since they are used in the front forks of bicycles. They do come in different sizes but I think 1 inch is used most often.
TheBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 08:02 PM   #12

Thanks, but no star nuts, just 4 standard screws in the wall.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:14 PM   #13

Update...Forest River says they do not have schematic. Spoke with service dept at Gander Outdoors and he said they can get schematic with VIN number and see what’s in the wall. He also said it wouldn’t be the first time that he had seen a ladder mounted on the wall with no blocks behind it at all on the lower brackets. He said if that was the case he would need to go into the wall from the inside and block it. The entire lower portion of the wall gives when you push on it so I think it needs to be done. I also think Forest River should pay for it, if that turns out to be the case, but I know that’s not going to happen without an act of God! There is always a possibility of water but there is no musty odor smell inside and it has never shown any signs of water so I don’t think that’s the case. Thanks all.

Tags
ladder