Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2010, 12:40 PM   #1

Lady Wendolyn... Update on Air conditioner woes

Just an update, and thanks to those of you who answered my "SOS" from the parking lot of a church where I was using their wifi to call for help on my broken air conditioner two weeks ago. I received replies within a minute of logging on.

We had a new air conditioner installed before our trip because we were heading to Texas in Aug. When we went to register the warranty, Domco told us that the unit was three years old and they would not register it. Our RV dealer insisted it was a new unit, but had just been on their shelf because no one had bought one. I was nervous about this, and asked "What if we get out on holiday and the thing breaks" . . . they said "don't worry that will never happen" Domco finally register it, and off we went on holiday.
One week into the holiday, the air conditioner died leaving us stranded in 105 degree temps even at night and no air conditioning.

After my emergency call for help on this sight, we were able to track down an authorized dealer. However every dealer we talked to, and we eventually talked to a few said that it would take two to three weeks to get a new unit in. So no luck with that.
So we went and bought a portable air conditioner on wheels that you use in a house and vented it out the kitchen window . . . this looked hilarious and with seven people in the camper trying to get around this thing, with it's 10 inch wide exhaust pipe running everywhere . . .you can imagine.

Then unbelievably . . .after two days the portable air conditioner stopped working! At this point we finally admitted defeat and moved everyone to a hotel at great expense. We realized that we were no longer having fun, and no longer on vacation . . . just fighting the elements.

We are now back home in Canada . . .loving our cool weather. I am still too mad to take the camper into the dealership . . . I think I need to "cool down" a bit before I do that! (pun intended)

I am reminding myself that someday we will look back at this holiday and laugh . . . Anyway . . .thanks for the support in our time of crisis. Much appreciated.

Lady Wendolyn

2003 21 ft Forrest River Shamrock

Manitoba Canada
ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 12:57 PM   #2

Sorry to hear of your A/C troubles and that you couldn't get it fixed. Hopefully you will get the replacement replaced and your problems will end there.
Good luck.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:05 PM   #3

Sorry to hear about the AC porblem.
If the unit is old and failed I would demand a new unit as a warranty replacement and let the dealer talk with the manuf.

It sounds like all the dealers you talked to want to replace the unit.
So this is what I hoep you tell your dealer you wait.

FIRM but still try and be nice.

P.S. Where did you go that it was that hot?
Southern Canada....
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 03:31 PM   #4

I'm so sorry that you had so much trouble and it ruined your vacation. I'd be kicking some butt if it was me. That is the good part about being such a huge redneck hillbilly woman... I refuse to let people run over me.

Iggy.. Yeah you are right firm but nice...... but.... if that don't work.. call me I'll be right there with my boots on!

Official member of the "Roo Kroo"!
2009 - 4, 2010 - 135
2011 - 95 and counting
skeeterbait8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 04:08 PM   #5
Jan Goldfield

I speak three languages fluently - vulgar, profane and obscene. I would be using them all while holding my boot firmly on somebody's neck. And keeping it there until I got the repair finished. And some damages for my ruined vacation and motel charges.

2009 Cherokee Grey Wolf 28BH
2009 Ford 150
pondlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 04:43 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Regardless of how old an unit is, be it an AC, fridge, water heater, doesn't the warranty start when the unit is sold to the consumer?

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 04:50 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrnd View Post
Regardless of how old an unit is, be it an AC, fridge, water heater, doesn't the warranty start when the unit is sold to the consumer?
Usually this is the case but you need to be sure to read the fine print in any warranty. We once had a septic system pump that failed about 2 months in a new house. No problem I thought, it's under warranty. When I read the fine print it stated 90 day warranty from the date of manufacture. What a crock! That pump was out of warranty long before it had been installed in my septic system.

With Dometic refrigerators there is fine print that states you have to take it in for it's "yearly checkup" each year at YOUR expense to keep the warranty valid. That's crappy if you ask me.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 04:59 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWJeeper View Post
With Dometic refrigerators there is fine print that states you have to take it in for it's "yearly checkup" each year at YOUR expense to keep the warranty valid. That's crappy if you ask me.
X2 on that nonsense.

https://inlinethumb45.webshots.com/3...600x600Q85.jpg
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:28 PM   #9

We actually do have a warrenty from Domtec from date of instalation. We are going to ask for a totally new unit, and we are considering asking for another brand.
As I said . . . I do my best work when cool calm and collected ... maybe next week I will be ready to tackle this with the dealer.

Lady Wendolyn

2003 21 ft Forrest River Shamrock

Manitoba Canada
ladywendolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:57 PM   #10

Sounds like you know yourself and how you work best and I'm sure you will get that unit replaced to your satisfaction at the right time.
granite is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner