Old 09-13-2011, 10:31 PM   #1

Landing Gear

Well, after the last trip home I unhitched and was raising the front of the fiver so I could close the gate when I heard a loud bang. Turns out that the gear reduction box finally gave way and the motor spun 90 degrees. Called Venture Mfg to get replacement parts and find out that the plastic gear case is no longer available. The good news the new improved aluminum gear box is available and the price is only 50 dollars. Since I have been noticing some issues with the motor not wanting to raise the fiver at times I asked about a dual motor conversion. Yes, it is also available and the price is a reasonable $300.00 plus shipping. So 394 dollars later I have all the parts ordered. UPS showed up at my door about 5 this afternoon and by 6:30 I was closing the front compartment door done! Probably the hardest part was trying to find bandaids to stop the flow of blood from my finger. This has to be the second best thing I have done to my fiver following the addition of a heavy duty reversing relay and up limit switch. Next step after I pay off this upgrade is a second reversing relay and limit switch for the second leg.

Old 09-13-2011, 11:31 PM   #2

I keep my front landing gear well greased, and it goes up with little effort. Maybe yours got dry, which would increase the workload on the motor exponentially.

Old 09-14-2011, 07:48 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
I keep my front landing gear well greased, and it goes up with little effort. Maybe yours got dry, which would increase the workload on the motor exponentially.

I have a 2011 Flagstaff 8528CKWS and have yet to find a zerk to grease my landing gear.
2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:59 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Mine has 2 grease zerks one on each side towards the top and facing towards center of camper.
Herk has a photo if he could post it.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Mine has 2 grease zerks one on each side towards the top and facing towards center of camper.
Herk has a photo if he could post it.

I have seen Lou's picture before but I have none,,,, honest.
2015 Crossroads Zinger ZT28BH
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote