Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2012, 02:01 PM   #1
Broken Toe

last campout of '12

My buddy and I went in and bought 2 adjoining lots at a local priveate lake. We finally got some time to spend our first weekend on the lake lots we've been working on all summer. We cleared and levelled (somewhat) the ground, and installed a 200amp service with a pair of 30 amp RV poles.

We spent the weekend burning the brush piles that accumulated from the clearing of the lots, and just knobbing around.

When we bought the lots, we inherited a run-down old 60's era camper. it was in miserable shape, with a majority of the wall-to-ceiling seams split open and years of water intrusion. Its been sitting there since 1980 according to the date on the license plate

We had planned on one day dismantling it and using the running gear and frame as a small cargo trailer for hauling stuff around the lake. Turns out that last weekend was the one day. An ember from the fire somehow got inside of it and caught it on fire 3 separate times. We kept putting it out, but there would be smoke coming from it 10-15 minutes later. We finally decided to grab the sawzalls and filet the whole thing so we could get at the burning stuff and put it out.

Other than the bad seams, it was a robustly built little booger. It fought us every step of the way. We wound up burning (slowly) everything but the aluminum skin, door and chassis.

It was really nice being on our own lots. Weather was perfect. I Slept with all the flaps down on the bunk-end and the heated mattress on. Sucks to have to put it away for the year, but I made my goal of 14 nights in the camper this year.

Tim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-06-01_16-44-26_213[1].jpg
Views:	234
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	21670   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-11-10_08-31-30_335[1].jpg
Views:	347
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	21671   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-11-10_09-47-22_184[1].jpg
Views:	228
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	21672  

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:17 PM   #2

Looks like a great place to camp. Too bad the little TT couldn't have been saved. They're in pretty good demand now.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote