Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2014, 07:57 PM   #1

Last night as a Forest River owner.....for now

After a long search almost lasting a year we have reached the end. I purchased our used 2006 Flagstaff 831RLSS in hopes of introducing my family to camping just as I was my entire life. The 5yr old and 2yr old love it and I even got my wife onboard too.

After several trips throughout this year with the rear living model, we decided to upgrade to a bunkhouse model. We specifically concentrated on a 2 slide bunkhouse model that almost every manufacturer has.

The best part is, I sold my 831RLSS, privately in only two weeks online.

After touring multiple units and wanting to stay within a budget we ended up switching to a Keystone product as we got a deal we couldn't pass up.

It is a 2012 unit used only twice and traded at a new car dealer. After sitting on their lot for two months, I made an offer I didn't think they would take and they took it after I told them, I'm walking if you don't want the deal. I went over it with a fine tooth comb (quality control and aircraft inspector background). They thought I was nuts, I'm sure.

The family is excited and the kids are happy to have their own room in the camper.

We looked hard at the PrimeTime models within the FR family but, anything used that was in the price range was really used hard.

Although, we are switching parent companies, I'm still going to stay on here as a member as obviously we are still camping and that's what all this is about. Alot of great knowledge here that will flow to any camper make and/or type.

Keep up the great work everyone on here, FRF is really one of the nicest forums on the internet in terms of helpfulness and overall family atmosphere. With alot of fun too!

See you around the campfire!
Old 08-26-2014, 08:01 PM   #2
DW's 401(k) Plan

Sorry to hear you're leaving the Flagstaff Family, but glad you're sticking around.

You're right... it's all about sharing.

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:26 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGrinch View Post
Sorry to hear you're leaving the Flagstaff Family, but glad you're sticking around.

You're right... it's all about sharing.

X2

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:41 PM   #4

Congrats on your new camper. No matter what you buy/own being happy is what counts. I know how you feel, we had a Jayco TT and I was quite active on their owners forum. I felt bad leaving but life goes on. Wishing your family many safe and memorable trips in your Keystone product.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 09:38 PM   #5

what model did you end up buying?
Old 08-31-2014, 09:48 PM   #6

Good luck with the SOB unit and I hope it gives you good service.

Old 08-31-2014, 09:55 PM   #7
Plain Old Member

We'll be in a similar boat soon, leaving the Forest River family all together. Our Silverback will be for sale at PPL in Houston in about 3 weeks unless somebody comes along and makes an offer. We just got this rig 100% bug free this month, but, things change, and we no longer have a use for a 40 foot 4 slide rig. And honestly, I get pissed every time I look at it as it has caused me much aggravation since January to the point I'll be glad to see it leave our shop. After it's gone, we're down to purchasing SOB (FR has nothing close to what I'm after), or start contruction on the one I've been drawing since 2006. Will probably end up with SOB, cause I'm a little lazy this year, and burnt out.

That being said, no doubt, we'll remain on THIS forum. I've met a lot of good people on the other forums I'm on, but I have received the best help and advice on this one.
2013 Ford F-350 Lariat CC LB PSD
2015 SOB TT - With OC's Awning Poles (#8)
At least in Heaven, RVs will be perfect, and I won't have to keep fixing them.
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:41 PM   #8

Thanks everyone for the replies and well wishes.

Kungfu, it's a 2012 Keystone Sprinter 311BHS. Forces me to upgrade the TV too but, I have access to another truck so I can search this winter for something else.

I also upgraded my hitch to an equalizer hitch from the pro series with integrated sway control that I had. Hoping for an overall nice setup but, just glad to get a camper that should fit us for years to come.

BigJohn, you are right on the money there with the people. I browse alot of forums and read alot of things and I certainly agree, there are ALOT of knowledgeable folks on here. I have learned a ton from here and almost any question you have you get an answer to. Sometimes, whether you like the answer or not!

Tags
forest river