Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2018, 08:35 PM   #41
I'm Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
Back in the late 80's to mid 90's I owned a house on a lake in mid-Michigan...

I had a 1972 speed boat with a huge 1963 straight six cylinder 85-horse Merc.

Even though that motor was just three years younger than me it purred like a kitten with a bowl of milk!

Sunday afternoons was the fun day of the week for those of us who lived on the lake as we all stayed off the water while (what the lake dwellers dubbed them) "the idiots from the city" came out and took over the lake with their boats.

I was one of them once...

It was like today's rush hour traffic in Denver across the lake at the marina and I could sit in my lawn chair with my binoculars and watch the circus at the boat launch!

Most of them half drunk before they ever got on the water...

And, like clockwork, around 2:30 pm the sheriff's boat would hit the water and the lake would empty out...and that is when us lake dwellers would hit the lake for an hour or so!

Anyway, one Sunday during the sheriff's patrol I hopped in my boat to go across the lake to the marina for a beer run.

I tied off and went inside and got my brewskies, and as I was walking back to my boat I witnessed a bunch of young guys with a brand spanking new ski boat backing down the rather steep (and wet) cement boat launch and almost rolled the whole rig in the lake...

So I decided to enjoy my rock-star seating at the dock to watch and enjoy a cold beverage or three.

First off, the only thing that stopped them from rolling the boat and Toyota Tundra into the drink was the fact that these guys didn't know enough about raising the outboard motor up while backing down the boat launch.

However, this time it was a godsend for them as THAT is what got caught in a crack in the cement to stop them from becoming a car (truck) boat!

First

Then, once they figured that one out (about 10 minutes and one brewski for me), they finally were able to get the boat trailer into the water, but due to the small size of the short truck they couldn't back it far enough into the lake without turning the interior of their truck into a hot tub and the rear of the boat was barely touching the water.

Second brewski for me and

Watching them screw around trying to figure out how to get that boat in the water, I offered up some advice that they could tip the trailer bed so it would slide off into the water, which they did.

While doing this one of them unhooked the front strap so when the boat slid off of the trailer it started floating away...so a couple of them had to dive in to swim out and bring it back to the dock.

By the way...while all this was going on a line was forming of a bunch of drunks trying to get off of the lake and a small line waiting to put in.

Anyway, once they got the boat off of the trailer, got the tow vehicle to the parking lot and boat loaded they floated it away from the dock while trying to get the motor to started...with no luck.

Not a one of them had a clue how to operate this thing...

Then...out of the blue, one of them glanced over toward me at the dock and said "I just don't understand how anybody could be seen in an old piece of ##!+ like that!...

To which I replied with a crack of a another beer can tab...

"At least mine runs!"

I barely touched the key and my old Merc fired up flawlessly, then I zoomed off and gave them a push with my wake back toward shore and watched them from my yard as they pulled their boat out of the lake without ever getting it started...

Thus my third

Thing was I was about to go over and get it started for them when he made that wise crack...

Not long after that I sold my house on the lake and the boat...moved to Colorado...and bought a camper!

Oh well...newbies!

We all were one once...or twice...or thrice!

As you said, "been there myself!"

We have the same entertainment here in Algonquin Provincial Park in Ontario; we'll go out to the Portage store on Canoe Lake (from the resort we live/work at), grab a window table in the restaurant, order up a meal and watch the Newbies and some of the not-so-newbies launching their canoes to go back-country camping.

The best is usually the ones who step straight off the dock into their canoes, standing up, the canoe usually rolls over dumping the people in the drink. Then there are the people who go in circles, yelling at each other; others who get blown by prevailing winds into the swampy bay; partners who throw their paddles at each other or into the water in frustration, etc.
Fun as long as no-one gets hurt.......

The worst is the parents who load a single canoe with a passel of kids, an over-active dog and all their gear and head out into the water with 2" of freeboard. I don't want to be around when that one sinks.

Enjoy the free entertainment!
Geoff
wabakami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 08:47 PM   #42
54 Years, 13 RV's

Several years ago DW and I had a couple of boats.

I had grown up on a lake with boats and was pretty proficient at launch and recovery, so there was very little drama with us. I would unhook the back straps, check the "plug" make sure that the winch was set just right and unceremoniously back the boat down the center lane of a 3 lane ramp while the yelling was happening on the other two lanes.

All of the boat gear was set up and ready ahead of time. After I backed in to the depth that I liked, DW would get behind the wheel to pull out and park.

I would get on the boat, partially lower the motor and start it. Then lean over and undo the winch, and back off the trailer.

As she started to pull out, she would yell out the truck window as loud as she could.... "did you remember to put the plug in this time you stupid A**hole"?

I would yell back at her.... "yes I did you ignorant B***h"!

Then I'd pick her up at the dock and we would laugh our A**es off all the way down the lake!
Old 07-26-2018, 08:50 PM   #43
I'm Lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by amblt View Post
In 1982 we purchased a Conway tent trailer. The Conway is a European design which when collapsed is 4' x 8', about 3' high and only 11' long with hitch. Weight about 600 lb, I think. When set up with the built in add-a-room, it was 16' x 12'. The back of the trailer was a portable kitchen.

It took up to 40 min of work to set it up, so we always camped for at least 3 days in any spot, usually more.
It was comfortable, great for a family with young children, and a real conversation piece at the campgrounds.

Now I sit at our 32' modern unit on a seasonal site, and miss that old trailer sometimes. That was camping in style.

We towed with a 1978 Ford Fairmont 6 cyl wagon w/ 3 spd manual.

Cheers

Yep, miss those days too:
1974 16' Sprite (English style TT built in Canada), TV was 1978 Pinto wagon, 2.3L, 4 speed.
Loved it!
wabakami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 02:57 PM   #44

Burt Lake Bungle

Burt Lake Michigan - August 2015

Drove 4 hours to tent camp at Burt Lake State Campground - hauled a 70's Hobie 16 Cat to sail with us... Camp setup went great the night we got there. Next day went down to the boat launch prep area and raised the mast and setup the rigging while it was on the trailer - go to pull around and launch the boat and the mast got caught on the trees above - pulled the boat off the back of the trailer - ripped off the lights on the trailer - bent my trailer license in half - Bent the guides for the boat and then the kicker.

Before taking this boat up i had done a complete rebuild on her. Stripped all the layers of paint off and given her a real nice new paint job. All new Decals and hardware. Also had patched and strengthened the hull with new fiberglass work... Made lovely paint stipes on the concrete from skidding - scratched all the new paint along the bottom.... Was soo embarrassing. I had never had any issues with the same boat and the same boat launch until it had a new paintjob

Luckily a couple guys helped me load her back onto the trailer and the rest of the trip was great! Very fond memories!!! My partner will never let me forget!

Picture says July but it was actually August
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11029477_10156003040895078_1101815646801673113_n.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	181445  
gary3_aero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 01:16 PM   #45

Mrs. Squeeker and I have a method to our madness, sort of.
She hates pulling down the road but I like it, she navigates, plans rest stops etc and manages social media.
She is much better at spotting the unit in once at a site, so she does that.
Once we're spotted right we each have jobs we're good at and we do them.
Not saying we didn't provide some great entertainment when we first started but Eve gotten better at it.
Lefty Squeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 01:36 AM   #46

Folsom Lake

The best launh we ever saw was while we were on the ramp at folsom Lake, CA. This boat came backing down the ramp and it got our attention because they were backing down the ramp rather fast with about a 25 foot cabin cruiser. Didn't stop until he hit the water. Slammed on his brakes and the boat slid off the trailer as he gunned it up the ramp. Now we are watching the boat just floating away from the ramp wondering what was going on. Next thing we see is the guy running down the ramp at full speed, down the dock and he dives off the end and swims to his boat! Amazing what you can see at a ramp.

PS I loved the t-shirt since I had 3 people "helping" me back our TT into a tight spot this summer at Lake Trinity.

Paul Woods
Chula Vista, CA
2016 Wildwood X-Lite 231RKXL
2016 Tundra DC
pwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:49 AM   #47

Boat ramps are some of the best places for entertainment especially in the summer when the "plastic" fleet shows up. Out here in the PNW most of us fisherman run aluminum boats and the plastics are the ski boats. We are well seasoned boaters and backing up is a non-event. My wife can also back up a boat trailer so she drives the truck and I run the boat. We are never on the ramp more than 2-3min max. Drive off and drive on. She gets a lot of complements from others regarding her backing skills. Over the years we have seen our share of follies. I've helped many along the way since we were newbies once. Good times.

However, wife and I are still in the learning curve with backing the trailer into a site. She tries to help but so far, it's been easier for me to get out an look myself. She doesn't know where to stand so I can see her (if you can't see my face in the mirror, I can't see you) and then is unsure of what or how to tell me what I need to do. We also need to work on the hand signals. We will get there tho...
TwoMile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:05 AM   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabakami View Post
...Then there are the people who go in circles, yelling at each other; others who get blown by prevailing winds into the swampy bay; partners who throw their paddles at each other or into the water in frustration, etc.
Fun as long as no-one gets hurt.......
Yeah, that'd be us. Only ever tried going canoeing with DW once. Learnt my lesson, we just don't jive in a canoe together. I canoe like I back when I was in scouts. She canoes like she's white water rafting. The two styles don't mix well.
Old 08-01-2018, 10:07 AM   #49
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
It took my DW a bit to get the trailer life lingo down..... While I am backing, some of hers were...

OK, go ahead and back up......
You need to go left, right?.......
All right, go left!
When I asked her....
Ummmmm, what part of....if you cannot see my face in the mirror are you missing....she said....your reflection! That was good for laughs between us for many years!

We finally just agreed on...seeme, seeyou. She just points the direction the end needs to go or stop. Made life simpler. Men and women just think differently I guess. Like...when folding the patio mat, it seems when I fold left, she will always fold right.....and when I try to second guess, she will go left, when I go right. Now, I have it folded and rolled before she even comes out!
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:10 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoMile View Post

However, wife and I are still in the learning curve with backing the trailer into a site. She tries to help but so far, it's been easier for me to get out an look myself. She doesn't know where to stand so I can see her (if you can't see my face in the mirror, I can't see you) and then is unsure of what or how to tell me what I need to do. We also need to work on the hand signals. We will get there tho...
Yep, we're still working out the kinks in our backing into site routine too. 4 weeks ago i was backing into site on left so i had my head hanging out the window watching the TT tail get close to the back of the site. Glanced up at my backup camera to see how close I was, and I see my poor wife jumping out from behind the trailer before I pushed her into the bushes. I need more practice.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:27 AM   #51

When I got the new truck and trailer we talked about how we should do this. When I get to a site we get out to see where we want to go. She calls me on my cell so we are talking over Bluetooth because I don't need her yelling which way to go and I don't need to listen to the kiddos trying to tell me something else. I also said no left or right it is drivers side and passenger side. So far it has been working well I am not a fan for starting off the trip yelling
The first couple times backing the trailer she asked can you do this, well yes hon I can! I have to! Most of them were in state park sites that had obstacles and not just straight backing up, see picture below of the first site we went to, pretty good job for only backing it up twice and the other time was in the driveway. I have had trailers in the past but by far this is the longest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180519_101025.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	479.9 KB
ID:	181959  
2019 Rockwood ROO 233S, 1998 Dutchman 747SL, 1988 Jayco 1006, 2001 Skyline Nomad 3710BH,1997 Coachman Catalina lite 249 QB, 2001 Palomino Mustang SC
Wisconsin-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:31 AM   #52

My first experience at the boat ramp was with a jeep and seadoo. Two very short wheel bases makes for interesting backing. I about jack knifed it 3 times but never pulled forward...the short wheel base made for quick recovery...too quick. I s-curved all the way into the water.

I can back my TT with only moderate yelling if someone misses my insult but man that was difficult.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:50 AM   #53
RV There Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillMitch View Post
Yep, we're still working out the kinks in our backing into site routine too. 4 weeks ago i was backing into site on left so i had my head hanging out the window watching the TT tail get close to the back of the site. Glanced up at my backup camera to see how close I was, and I see my poor wife jumping out from behind the trailer before I pushed her into the bushes. I need more practice.
you will get there! takes some practice and lots of communication. for us, the truck and trailer dont move unless we can see each other and confirm that we can. if she steps behind the trailer, truck stops and goes into park. when its in park i communicate when letting off the brake so the small roll back/forward is anticipated and not a surprise (this works great for hitching). we use hand signals for left, right, forward, backward. we also use both hands up like goal posts to show relative distance. as i get closer, her hands get closer until they touch. we know that when she points left, that means the back of the trailer goes left. we communicate each time what we can and cant see, if there is something hidden we might hit. there are no floppy fish hands on our crew when backing or maneuvering. my mother is famous for this, and her directions are ignored. i trust my wifes directions 100%. she is also fully proficient in hitching, towing, and backing. we each have our own tasks and things we are good at. but if something should happen its nice to know that either of us could get us safely to our destination (or the ER). my father in law and brother in law both tow, their wives do not. they cant tow, back, or hitch their rigs. that to me is a huge safety concern.

sadly, we sold our boat this year. but we didnt use it because...well...we are camping more! we have seen our fare share of funny things, been the ones providing the entertainment from time to time too. my only pet peeve is get your boat ready to go, coolers loaded, applicable straps removed, etc BEFORE you are on the ramp. forgot something in the TV while on the ramp? no big deal. loading ALL of your crap into the boat while on the ramp and i wait for 20-30 minutes? we have a problem and you will be reminded nicely to take care of this before hogging the ramp.
IsleDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 05:05 PM   #54

Send a message via MSN to flaggonzo
I am new to the RV scene and still waiting for my trailer to be built and shipped but I do know a thing or two about boating. I have owned boats for many years and the below really captures it. I have seen it all at the boating ramps. I have been very fortunate to avoid any blunders and hope that carries forward to when I go camping!

flaggonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 05:39 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsleDog View Post
sadly, we sold our boat this year. but we didn't use it because...well...we are camping more! we have seen our fare share of funny things, been the ones providing the entertainment from time to time too. my only pet peeve is get your boat ready to go, coolers loaded, applicable straps removed, etc BEFORE you are on the ramp. forgot something in the TV while on the ramp? no big deal. loading ALL of your crap into the boat while on the ramp and i wait for 20-30 minutes? we have a problem and you will be reminded nicely to take care of this before hogging the ramp.
Roger that! My biggest pet peeve as well. I have on occasion simply backed around the offender and launched.

We don't use our boat as much as we used to but I won't give it up. Whatever days I get on the water is worth it. The boat is my thing and the RV is hers so we compromise. Just means I have to take more time off from work!
Old 08-01-2018, 07:08 PM   #56

Quote:
Roger that! My biggest pet peeve as well. I have on occasion simply backed around the offender and launched.

We don't use our boat as much as we used to but I won't give it up. Whatever days I get on the water is worth it. The boat is my thing and the RV is hers so we compromise. Just means I have to take more time off from work!
I am more of a boating person myself. She is the RV person. We just ordered our first trailer. Maybe I should have bargained in the same way! I keep my boat and you get the RV! I just sold my 2016 Edgewater 318 with twin Yamaha 300.
Old 08-02-2018, 10:24 AM   #57
RV There Yet?

Quote:

hard to do when its a single ramp or they are jack knifed on it!
we had not used the boat in over 2 years, so it was time to go. we are currently looking at some kayaks though!
IsleDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 01:45 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggonzo View Post
I am more of a boating person myself. She is the RV person. We just ordered our first trailer. Maybe I should have bargained in the same way! I keep my boat and you get the RV! I just sold my 2016 Edgewater 318 with twin Yamaha 300.
Whoa....that was a nice tub. Really nice. I'd cry too! I sold my dream ocean boat and was boatless for 8 months. Couldn't stand it so scaled back and got a river boat so I could at least salmon fish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsleDog View Post
hard to do when its a single ramp or they are jack knifed on it!
we had not used the boat in over 2 years, so it was time to go. we are currently looking at some kayaks though!
We have been looking at yaks as well. Probably too late for this year but maybe next year. My only concern is it's just more "stuff" to have around and store. Already have too much of that.
Old 08-02-2018, 02:29 PM   #59
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggonzo View Post
I am new to the RV scene and still waiting for my trailer to be built and shipped but I do know a thing or two about boating. I have owned boats for many years and the below really captures it. I have seen it all at the boating ramps. I have been very fortunate to avoid any blunders and hope that carries forward to when I go camping!

I'm a fan of FG but I don't like when they have gags on the show that run uncomfortably long. This is definitely one of those cringe-worthy ones.

You almost want to reach through the screen and say "Oh for crying out loud, let me do it!"
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 04:17 PM   #60

Quote:
Whoa....that was a nice tub. Really nice. I'd cry too! I sold my dream ocean boat and was boatless for 8 months. Couldn't stand it so scaled back and got a river boat so I could at least salmon fish.

We have been looking at yaks as well. Probably too late for this year but maybe next year. My only concern is it's just more "stuff" to have around and store. Already have too much of that.
Thanks! I called it the Beast! It was a great boat. I love being on the water. I am trying to figure out something. Maybe a fishing Kayak. Congrats on your river boat! Fortunately, I have several friends that have boats. My turn to ride in theirs!