Old 07-17-2018, 01:44 PM   #1

Launch ramp follies.... RV style

So for years, my buddy and I who ride jet skis would go to the launch ramp and sit there for about 30 minutes to an hour just watching people come to launch their boats.

You could take a perfectly content, happy couple and in less than 10 minutes, they would be screaming at each other. It was quite humorous to watch some of the antics of people trying to launch their boats.

I have come to realize that watching some people setting up their RV, fifth wheel or camper can almost be the same amount of fun.

I was reminded of this watching a woman give directions to her husband on where to back into. It wasn't but three times that it was easier for me to just get out and check myself.

Any funny stories or pics?

Let 'em roll...

Mark

Orangecrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 02:54 PM   #2

I found its even better is watching the boat ramp around dinner time.

The party people who should have been off the water much earlier start to come back in and try to get their boats back on the trailers.

The only time I ever heard husbands/wives screaming the f-bomb at each other in a campground.

2011 Starcraft 392BHU w/Andersen No-Sway hitch
chaps2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:19 PM   #3

Camper Funnies

I didn't actually see it but my BIL has a small popup, 1980 10' Jayco, and I asked him the last time we went camping why don't you put down the stabilizers and he just shrugged his shoulders. Well this last time we went camping both of our kids (3-4 of them) went into the camper and decided to go into the back bunk, Well you know what happened It ended up in the air on the bumper. Thankfully no one was hurt or was the camper damaged. The only thing that was damaged was their ego . Lets just say the stabilizers are down now, he said he was just lazy. I personally don't know with 4-5 people sleeping in there how he can stand the movement, I would be sick i the morning. It took me like 10 min to stop laughing

Old 07-17-2018, 03:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisconsin-1 View Post
I didn't actually see it but my BIL has a small popup, 1980 10' Jayco, and I asked him the last time we went camping why don't you put down the stabilizers and he just shrugged his shoulders. Well this last time we went camping both of our kids (3-4 of them) went into the camper and decided to go into the back bunk, Well you know what happened It ended up in the air on the bumper. Thankfully no one was hurt or was the camper damaged. The only thing that was damaged was their ego . Lets just say the stabilizers are down now, he said he was just lazy. I personally don't know with 4-5 people sleeping in there how he can stand the movement, I would be sick i the morning. It took me like 10 min to stop laughing

It never ceases to amaze me the things people (me included) don't do something because "it would have taken another 30 seconds". As I've gotten older, I've slowed down and try even harder to prevent "stupid" things from happening but somehow it still manages to happen. Perhaps when I'm in my 90's, I'll know everything... LOL

Mark
Old 07-17-2018, 03:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaps2018 View Post
I found its even better is watching the boat ramp around dinner time.

The party people who should have been off the water much earlier start to come back in and try to get their boats back on the trailers.

The only time I ever heard husbands/wives screaming the f-bomb at each other in a campground.
I think you may have found a better time to view this. After a full day in the sun, they're hot, tired, ill tempered and probably drunk...LMAO

Mark
Old 07-17-2018, 03:44 PM   #6

Almost drove straight into a lake. At night. It was dark.
Class C towing a Festiva on a dolly. On our way home from working out of town at a Job in Kentucky for a week or so, and decided to stay at a state park. It was late, and dark.
We pulled in and started making the rounds. The office was closed, with a "find a spot and pay in the morning" sign, or sumsuch.
I later came to realize the boat ramp at this place was one of those wide easy sloped afairs that 4 or 5 people could back down at the same time. About like launching a boat in a parking lot.........did I say how dark it was?
We were taking our time, making slow turns, and looking for an empty spot. I suddenly realized I wasn't seeing light reflected off of anything. No trees, no road, and no water because it was dead calm, and the ramp was sloped slow enough, so the head lights were looking out, not down. It was dark!
Anyhoo, I stopped. In time. My wife and I still get a chuckle out of it.
I actually had to get out of the cab, and walk ahead a few feet to the edge of the water before I could see it. Just that ticklish little sensation that something wasn't right, is the only thing that kept us out of the lake.
katkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:56 PM   #7
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Back in the late 80's to mid 90's I owned a house on a lake in mid-Michigan...

I had a 1972 speed boat with a huge 1963 straight six cylinder 85-horse Merc.

Even though that motor was just three years younger than me it purred like a kitten with a bowl of milk!

Sunday afternoons was the fun day of the week for those of us who lived on the lake as we all stayed off the water while (what the lake dwellers dubbed them) "the idiots from the city" came out and took over the lake with their boats.

I was one of them once...

It was like today's rush hour traffic in Denver across the lake at the marina and I could sit in my lawn chair with my binoculars and watch the circus at the boat launch!

Most of them half drunk before they ever got on the water...

And, like clockwork, around 2:30 pm the sheriff's boat would hit the water and the lake would empty out...and that is when us lake dwellers would hit the lake for an hour or so!

Anyway, one Sunday during the sheriff's patrol I hopped in my boat to go across the lake to the marina for a beer run.

I tied off and went inside and got my brewskies, and as I was walking back to my boat I witnessed a bunch of young guys with a brand spanking new ski boat backing down the rather steep (and wet) cement boat launch and almost rolled the whole rig in the lake...

So I decided to enjoy my rock-star seating at the dock to watch and enjoy a cold beverage or three.

First off, the only thing that stopped them from rolling the boat and Toyota Tundra into the drink was the fact that these guys didn't know enough about raising the outboard motor up while backing down the boat launch.

However, this time it was a godsend for them as THAT is what got caught in a crack in the cement to stop them from becoming a car (truck) boat!

First

Then, once they figured that one out (about 10 minutes and one brewski for me), they finally were able to get the boat trailer into the water, but due to the small size of the short truck they couldn't back it far enough into the lake without turning the interior of their truck into a hot tub and the rear of the boat was barely touching the water.

Second brewski for me and

Watching them screw around trying to figure out how to get that boat in the water, I offered up some advice that they could tip the trailer bed so it would slide off into the water, which they did.

While doing this one of them unhooked the front strap so when the boat slid off of the trailer it started floating away...so a couple of them had to dive in to swim out and bring it back to the dock.

By the way...while all this was going on a line was forming of a bunch of drunks trying to get off of the lake and a small line waiting to put in.

Anyway, once they got the boat off of the trailer, got the tow vehicle to the parking lot and boat loaded they floated it away from the dock while trying to get the motor to started...with no luck.

Not a one of them had a clue how to operate this thing...

Then...out of the blue, one of them glanced over toward me at the dock and said "I just don't understand how anybody could be seen in an old piece of ##!+ like that!...

To which I replied with a crack of a another beer can tab...

"At least mine runs!"

I barely touched the key and my old Merc fired up flawlessly, then I zoomed off and gave them a push with my wake back toward shore and watched them from my yard as they pulled their boat out of the lake without ever getting it started...

Thus my third

Thing was I was about to go over and get it started for them when he made that wise crack...

Not long after that I sold my house on the lake and the boat...moved to Colorado...and bought a camper!

Oh well...newbies!

We all were one once...or twice...or thrice!

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by katkt View Post
Just that ticklish little sensation that something wasn't right, is the only thing that kept us out of the lake.
I wish I got that ticklish little sensation when I drove about a month ago up a road for 1.5 hours (to go 15 miles) and dead ended my 70 foot plus RV/trailer in a cul de sac that was only 40' wide.

2 1/2 hours to drop the trailer and do a 304 point u-turn.

smh

Mark
Old 07-17-2018, 04:03 PM   #9
Site Team

Sometimes picking up the boat is funnier, like what I saw last Friday.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 04:48 PM   #10
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisconsin-1 View Post

That happens more than you would think.

DW did it about 16 years ago in a heavy rain shower. I was at work til 10:30 pm and she took the popup to the campground. She was soaked so she went inside, dried off, changed clothes, laid on the rear bunk and fell asleep. Her gf comes to spend the night and sits on the same bunk. Up goes the tongue and everything in the fridge comes out. I heard the story when I got there a midnight. BTW, we had scrambled eggs with some shells for breakfast.

We still laugh about it.

Camping since 1989, seasonal since 2000
Car Shredder Operator/Technician, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote