Old 01-23-2016, 10:16 AM   #1

lead in our faucets

after doing some looking into i have found that most all the cheap china faucets used in the making of RV's have a low lead content . i found this out when getting a factory replacement faucet . right on the box it's states low lead content . thought there was a no lead rule in the US but guess i'm wrong. having been a plumber for the last 25 yrs i can't remember installing faucets with lead in them ,so to see this labeling on the generic faucet caused me to wonder how wide spread it is . looking at replacing all of mine with name brand no lead faucets

Old 01-23-2016, 11:29 AM   #2

Most of the faucets in our unit are plastic. The only one that might have metal content in it is the kitchen and, since its a single handle, the mixing valve might be ceramic. If you were going to drink the water, I would be more concerned about what's in it from the source than from what it might pick up in the tiny bit of non-plastic plumbing once its in the RV. Even though every drop that goes into our unit through either the on-board tank or city water goes through a 5-micron carbon filter, we still use only bottled water for drinking and coffee making.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 11:54 AM   #3

There is not a no lead rule just like there is not a no asbestos rule. You can today go to your local home improvement store and find some products containing lead and asbestos. Oh heads up the asbestos in products will say something like warning may contain natural fibers............

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2013 Puma Unleashed 356 QLB
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Sadie & Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxers
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 12:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSchwartz View Post
Most of the faucets in our unit are plastic. The only one that might have metal content in it is the kitchen and, since its a single handle, the mixing valve might be ceramic. If you were going to drink the water, I would be more concerned about what's in it from the source than from what it might pick up in the tiny bit of non-plastic plumbing once its in the RV. Even though every drop that goes into our unit through either the on-board tank or city water goes through a 5-micron carbon filter, we still use only bottled water for drinking and coffee making.
the only plastic one in my unit is in the shower . i find no level of lead acceptable . in the plumbing industry we don't even use lead solder anymore let alone install faucets with lead content
Old 01-23-2016, 12:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
There is not a no lead rule just like there is not a no asbestos rule. You can today go to your local home improvement store and find some products containing lead and asbestos. Oh heads up the asbestos in products will say something like warning may contain natural fibers............
Well the replacement faucet did say low lead content . i find no lead the only acceptable way to go . there is no reason for the use of it in potable water systems . we all know the dangers of lead
Old 01-23-2016, 12:33 PM   #6

What I find ironic is that in many of the older water systems in some cities in the US, have water mains made of lead pipe. So, thats not to say buying low lead content is good, its just seems that things you can control, you do, others will take many millions of dollars to remedy.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:30 PM   #7

It prolly just means...not lead free compliant. Any brass that isn't virgin brass can/will contain some amount of lead. They can't recycle brass and get the lead out. Myself...I wouldn't be concerned in the least. I would worry more about the water supply and crap in the lines, residue on the dishes, manufacture of plastic, foam, Teflon coated crap, liners in food cans, preservatives in food, pollution in the air, etc... IMO. You have more to worry about than that. If you see copper or brass anywhere and it's more than 10 years old.. You got lead of some content.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Days camped 2016 8 2017 13
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
having been a plumber for the last 25 yrs i can't remember installing faucets with lead in them ,so to see this labeling on the generic faucet caused me to wonder how wide spread it is.
Hello, fellow plumber,

Having been a plumber for the last 34 years, I can tell you that just about every faucet, no matter which brand, contained lead -- upwards of 8%. NSF/ANSI 372 regarding the allowable content of lead in plumbing fixtures, fittings, pipe, and anything else used in potable plumbing systems came into effect about two years ago. All of the faucet manufacturers, valve manufacturers, etc. have to comply with this standard now. I do believe that NSF/ANSI 372 does still allow for a trace of lead to be present -- something like 0.25%, but I could be wrong on that.

I don't know if you experienced the same problem in your area as I did in mine at the beginning of 2014, but it was very difficult to get certain items like brass compression fittings, PRVs, ball valves and many other things made of brass or bronze. The reason was that not all of the manufacturers were geared up enough for the new standard. However, the faucet manufacturers seemed to have it all under control and had started producing and supplying "Lead-Free" NSF/ANSI 372 compliant products about a year ahead of the deadline.

NSF 24-88 deals with standards for mobile homes and recreational vehicles. Maybe there's something in there allowing a higher lead content, but I doubt it.

Bruce
Old 01-24-2016, 01:32 PM   #9

I have installed several name-brand rather high quality faucets in residential settings. Reading the fine print in the instructions, they make reference to low levels of lead in the construction. The recommendation is to run the faucet briefly before drawing the water into your receptacle.
Old 01-24-2016, 01:59 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
What I find ironic is that in many of the older water systems in some cities in the US, have water mains made of lead pipe. So, thats not to say buying low lead content is good, its just seems that things you can control, you do, others will take many millions of dollars to remedy.
I'm glad you mentioned that Still Kinkin...most people don't realize that many of the supply lines are still lead...including many of the old and fairly new parts of Denver where I live. As for me, I use filtered water at home and bottled water for drinking when camping.

Tags
faucet