Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 10:27 AM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
I generally have my trailer level side to side before I unhitch...

Even in storage...
Right.. BUT

This is precisely what causes the situation in some cases because, unless you are also leveling your entire truck to the same plane as the trailer, you are creating a discrepancy between the level of the trailer and the truck, which will cause that uneven loading on the bars
Travel Pooch:Sophie the Sato - Cats: Rhody and Hazy
2018:22nights / 2019:31Nights / 2020:18Nights
Old 01-24-2019, 10:48 AM   #102

There is a Camp Ground in Pa I stopped at one time and I would love to see him get level to un hook in his perfect world. I have a class C and had to use boards under my levelers to even get closer to level. That's how the angle was. Glad I didn't have to unhook the car trailer, never would have gotten the bars off. They were touching the ground! But, I don't live in a perfect world!
Old 01-24-2019, 11:10 AM   #103
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Towed View Post
Right.. BUT

This is precisely what causes the situation in some cases because, unless you are also leveling your entire truck to the same plane as the trailer, you are creating a discrepancy between the level of the trailer and the truck, which will cause that uneven loading on the bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
There is a Camp Ground in Pa I stopped at one time and I would love to see him get level to un hook in his perfect world. I have a class C and had to use boards under my levelers to even get closer to level. That's how the angle was. Glad I didn't have to unhook the car trailer, never would have gotten the bars off. They were touching the ground! But, I don't live in a perfect world!
You guys are funny...

Don't make excuses...just do it!

Old 01-24-2019, 11:28 AM   #104

Sorry we don't live in your perfect world!
Old 01-24-2019, 12:23 PM   #105
Broken Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnD10 View Post
You guys are funny...

Don't make excuses...just do it!

If you go back and read the situation, you will see that sometimes you can't get things they way you want them. To summarize, I was at a friends house, where they have a few private sites. I was nose down at the trailer, but nose-up at the truck, with the truck cocked over to the left at about a 45 degree angle. That was the only way I could get close enough to hit the electric. The trailer was level, side to side, but the left front of the truck was higher than the right front due to the ground. Because of the dip right under my hitch ball, I could not get enough height out of my jack to take all the tension off both the bars. But I did not know that at the time. Drivers side bar came off completely without any tension at all. I assumed that the right side would also be free of tension, and when it wasn't, I just pulled harder, thinking that it would not be that big of a deal. It was.

I am getting slightly resentful of people telling me what I should and shouldn't have done without having been there. I did everything in the proper way, with the minor error of letting my guard down for 5 seconds, as I pulled the bar on the passenger side arm.

I wrote this up as a reminder to people that even if you do something 1000 times without a problem, it does not mean 1001 will be error free as well. My hope was to get people to remember this the next time they unhooked, and maybe save someone some pain and suffering.

I did not write this up for all the Forum Cliff Clavins to sit there and tell me what I should have done.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Old 01-24-2019, 01:06 PM   #106

X2 Tim!
Old 01-24-2019, 01:19 PM   #107
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

Too funny...

Old 01-24-2019, 01:59 PM   #108

Old 01-24-2019, 02:02 PM   #109
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowracer View Post

<snip>

I am getting slightly resentful of people telling me what I should and shouldn't have done without having been there. I did everything in the proper way, with the minor error of letting my guard down for 5 seconds, as I pulled the bar on the passenger side arm.

<snip>

I did not write this up for all the Forum Cliff Clavins to sit there and tell me what I should have done.

Tim

You should have had another case of before unhooking, you would never have known anything bad happened.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Glad you didn't loose the toe.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Closed Thread