Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 12:48 PM   #21

Like others, my two dogs are quiet if they have to be left alone. I also close up all windows, windshield and leave on music or a fan. The dogs usually are with me though because I have a Solera and can quickly pull up camp to run around. I don't have a toad so my two furry guys happily come with me everywhere.
Ps- my dogs are alot quieter than many of the people who are camping around me with large families, groups or partying.
Old 10-30-2016, 12:53 PM   #22
Boondocking Only

We leave our dogs inside camper all the time. 2 Boston Terriers & White German Sheperd. If the weather is going to be bad raining or snowing while we are ATV'ing or fishing we leave them behind. Never had problem.
Old 10-30-2016, 12:55 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
We don't have a dog but do have a cat. Any pet is loved and it would be
a tragedy if the RV caught fire while they were left alone but .... don't you
leave your pet at home and go out?? We take the best precautions we can
and life goes on.

I'd rather see folks leave a pet in the RV than stuck in the car while they
shop or eat out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones12 View Post
Good points about dog left in the camper and alcohol. Not a problem unless they actually BECOME a problem. Then you use the rules to fix it. Doesn't work for all rules, but in those two cases I think it makes sense.

I agree with both of these posts. If a dog is irritating you and the owners went somewhere, talk to them nicely when they come back. They may not be aware he/she has a barking issue. We train our dogs not to bark. My old dog had developed separation anxiety. A little training fixed her. I would not have known had I not talked to my neighbors. My current dog has been trained not to bark but as he ages he has become a little more vocal. I need the help of my neighbors to know if he needs training refreshers. I am also not comfortable leaving him in the car running or not as I don't feel that is the safer option. I do read the rules before booking and try to adhere to them as well.
Old 10-30-2016, 01:18 PM   #24

I love dogs but all of you folks thinking your dogs never bark while you are away are just sticking your head in the sand. Most RV'ers don't say anything just to keep the peace. We close the door and windows, turn on the AC and turn up the TV.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
Old 10-30-2016, 01:24 PM   #25

We also close all shades & turn-on the TV or radio so that our dog does not bark at outside noises...

We also set our (2) 12V MaxxAir fans to automatically turn-on in push/pull fashion if we lose 110V for A/C & temps inside reach 80.
2017-31; 2016-36; 2015-37; 2014-31

Old 10-30-2016, 01:32 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrjet View Post
I love dogs but all of you folks thinking your dogs never bark while you are away are just sticking your head in the sand. Most RV'ers don't say anything just to keep the peace. We close the door and windows, turn on the AC and turn up the TV.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K
Likewise I, a dog owner don't say anything to you dog haters when you are disturbing MY peace and I have to close up my blinds and turn up my TV to drown out your noise.
Old 10-30-2016, 01:39 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Ok guys lets keep it civil.
Old 10-30-2016, 02:20 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
It seems like everywhere we go someone leaves there dog or dogs in camper and they bark all day and half the night until there owners come home. I must be camping at the wrong place because I have never seen a quite dog, if I walk by there place they bark. We were just at Cades Cove campground in Great Smoky Mountain National Park and a class A camper caught fire and no one was at the camper. It was a electrical fire and it smoked up everything inside, suppose a dog had been left inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
X2
Old 10-30-2016, 02:36 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

And we didn't say they never bark, just not all day. That's like saying kids never yell and radios are never played loud. It happens some but not all the time.
Old 10-30-2016, 02:49 PM   #30

Interesting discussion. I own a 75lb Boxer that is well trained.

Here are some of the rules I think should apply in an RV park, unless the park is designated as a dog-friendly RV park with less restrictive rules.

– Dog owners must not leave their dog alone in the park. They must keep their dog in view at all times. No dog may be unattended or left off-leash.

– Aggressive dogs and dogs with behavioral problems, like barking, are not allowed in the park. Any dogs showing signs of aggression or a behavioral problem must be removed from the park.

So, basically, unless I'm going boon docking in an isolated area, the dog doesn't get to come along. Sorry Mace, but, my fellow RV owners have the higher right to peace and quiet while enjoying their dream.

No, I'm not interested in staying at an RV park, would rather have my dog with me.
Old 10-30-2016, 02:56 PM   #31

We leave our boy in the 5er for short periods. The shades are pulled, lights, and the tv is on. We use Alfred so we can watch the temp and listen for any noise above the tv.
I have rarely met an obnoxious dog at a CG. I rarely move the 5er during summer as there are many more unrestrained and obnoxious rug rats running loose during June, July, and August.
Old 10-30-2016, 03:17 PM   #32

We travel with 3 bichons. We got them as puppies. From the beginning we did not allow barking for any reason as we knew we would be traveling with them. They are now 1 1/2 years old and they don't bark. It took a lot of work but it was worth it. We would leave them in the camper and go visit next door where we would be able to hear them. At first they would bark at sounds etc. we would go correct them each time. Now we can stay away knowing they are quiet. Many times we ask our neighbors if they heard anything from our dogs while we were away. Unless they saw our dogs before, they say they didn't know we had a dog. So it can be done.

We also use an old cell phone as a remote camera to monitor the dogs and the temperature inside. We have a large thermometer in view of the camera. We use an app called Alfred to do this. It is impossible to take dogs everywhere with you. Many times we leave a key with someone in case there is a problem.

We have had dogs in campers next to us that barked all the time the owners were gone. It is not pleasant. I have told the owners when they return. All I recall were glad we let them know. Some times the solution is closing the blinds next time they go.

If you are going to travel with dogs it is your responsibility to put in the time to train your dog. Yes, it takes time and it is work but well worth the investment in the long run.
Old 10-30-2016, 03:25 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philos3 View Post
Interesting discussion. I own a 75lb Boxer that is well trained.

Here are some of the rules I think should apply in an RV park, unless the park is designated as a dog-friendly RV park with less restrictive rules.

– Dog owners must not leave their dog alone in the park. They must keep their dog in view at all times. No dog may be unattended or left off-leash.

– Aggressive dogs and dogs with behavioral problems, like barking, are not allowed in the park. Any dogs showing signs of aggression or a behavioral problem must be removed from the park.

So, basically, unless I'm going boon docking in an isolated area, the dog doesn't get to come along. Sorry Mace, but, my fellow RV owners have the higher right to peace and quiet while enjoying their dream.

No, I'm not interested in staying at an RV park, would rather have my dog with me.
X2 . most people don't know how their dogs behave when their not around . i love dogs but people should not leave them in a TT while gone . you want to bring your dog with you then bring him with you . i've heard to many dogs locked up in units barking all day and it's annoying and disturbs my peace . as far as kids go there are many over 55 parks go there . kids are part of life enjoy them .
PS i've been bitten buy more dogs that the owners say are friendly and licked by more dogs that the owners say beware . so you never know what your cute pooch is capable of
Old 10-30-2016, 03:41 PM   #34
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

I'm keeping this short and blunt. If I'm not violating an SPCA law (which you're not), mind your own.
We leave ours in there every trip, never an issue.
Old 10-30-2016, 03:43 PM   #35

Our older Boxer is 9.5 she and her companion Boxer Mix have been left for short periods while we are out since they were puppies. It is rare to hear either one of them bark even at home.......this last weekend at the camp goround probably about 400 campers or more had dogs and probably the majority of them were left alone at some point.........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Old 10-30-2016, 03:50 PM   #36

99.9% of DOGS are great it's the owners that are the problem lmao
Old 10-30-2016, 03:57 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by northstar1960 View Post
X2 . most people don't know how their dogs behave when their not around . i love dogs but people should not leave them in a TT while gone . you want to bring your dog with you then bring him with you . i've heard to many dogs locked up in units barking all day and it's annoying and disturbs my peace . as far as kids go there are many over 55 parks go there . kids are part of life enjoy them .
PS i've been bitten buy more dogs that the owners say are friendly and licked by more dogs that the owners say beware . so you never know what your cute pooch is capable of

Why not keep your kids quiet and on a leash if they do not know how to act if you do not want to find a no pet CG? Most kids in a CG are well behaved but the ones that are not are usually really obnoxious and show a lack of training.
Old 10-30-2016, 04:58 PM   #38

We leave ours in the camper with the ac/ heat on. Our dog immediately goes to our bed and sleeps until we get back I would not go back either
Old 10-30-2016, 05:03 PM   #39
Site Team

Leave her with food and water, living room AC set at decent temp and bedroom ac set a notch or two higher in case main ac goes out. For 11 years now.

Old 10-30-2016, 05:05 PM   #40

The dogs that don't bark aren't in the campgrounds we go to, we hear the dogs barking but we don't complain to the owners. I don't want to make anyone mad, I leave to much stuff outside. We like dogs and after our last dog died we said no more, it's like losing a child. I just think if you take the dog camping then take him with you when you leave the campground. Would you leave a child shut up and alone in the camper. Two things I don't like to see in a campground is campfires and dogs, campfires smell bad and half the dog owners don't pick up after there dogs. Last campground we were at a lady came by with two dogs, one started to poop in our site, the lady pulled the dog back and he pooped beside the road. She did not come back for the poop.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Closed Thread

Tags
camper