Old 07-16-2010, 09:41 AM   #11
Sounds like you are having a wonderful time. Keep the updates coming. I'll have to live that trip through you. Maybe someday we can on our own.

Official member of the "Roo Kroo"!
2009 - 4, 2010 - 135
2011 - 95 and counting
skeeterbait8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:14 PM   #12
Originally Posted by old guys View Post
We made it to Prince Edward Island after a really nice trip around the Gaspe Peninsula of Quebec. Lucky to find camping just over the Confederation bridge at a nice little campgroud called Sun and Shade as the central island area was very busy with a Taylor Swift concert Saturday and Regis and Kelly in to tape 4 shows Mon. and Tues.. There was also a big country music festival and the Atlantic Nationals car show on at the same time. We stayed long enough to do 3 scenic routes on the island, enjoy a lobster supper, meet some great people and have a good time. Then on we went to Nova Scotia where we began with a tour of the Cabot Trail on Cape Breton Island. Breathtaking scenery and camping at $27 plus tax (with hydro and water) 33 with sewer hookup. Tomorrow it is Fortress Louisburg, which we are really looking forward to and the next day it is on to more N.S. Hopefully we will get to see Peggys Cove and a few other places before we leave here. Good trailering so far and we hope it stays that way. Till next time..... have fun and happy camping. Old Guys

P.S. The bridge is a toll bridge as is the ferry. It is free to get in but you pay to get out and the bridge is always cheaper.
If you get a chance, try and go to hopewell rocks in New Brunswick ( near Fundy National Park, which is supposed to be beautiful also - next time for us... ). I am not a nature nut or anything but I found the whole thing quite entertaining. So did my 5 and 7 year old kids!

The ovens natural campground in Nova Scotia is quite neat also, it is just west of Lunenburg. The place is a dive ( and expensive ), the camping and view is spectacular - 50 ft. from the water! One night is enough though!

There is also a railroad museum in Lunenburg, my family found it quite entertaining.

shineysideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 01:46 PM   #13
The Old Man
Thanks for reviving some great memories of several trips we've made through the Maritimes. I really, really want to be rich enough some day to own a summer house on the north coast of PEI. Alas. ~sigh~

If you are in the St. John area check out the Reversing Falls. Make sure to check the tide calendar. The best way to see the Falls is to go twice at different times of the day. It is truly amazing to see such a large river running BACKWARDS due to the incoming tide.

2010 Flagstaff 829RGSS

Still to go: AK, NL, NT, NU, YT
Willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 06:03 PM   #14
Wanna Be Camper
Sounds like you are having a great trip. The maritimes is one of the most beautiful places on the planet (I say that totally biased as I was born and raised in a little town New Germany abt 30 min from Lunenburg) Hopefully the Bluenose will be in when you get to Lunenburg, she is one majestic ship. Stay safe and enjoy the rest of your trip.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
Days Camped 2013: 16 2014: 5 2015: 3
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:13 PM   #15
Bad news

After Cape Breton we headed for Peggy's Cove even though we've seen enough lighthouses for a lifetime. Glad we did as it is really unique and picturesque. Then we were going to do the south shore area & on to St. John N.B.. Unfortunately I heard a faint noise from the rear axle are which I couldn't identify and as it was late Sat. nothing was open. We decided to make a run for home and hope for the best. Got to Amherst N.B. and spent the night at a truck plaza where I talked to a Michigan trucker on the c.b. Found out he was in same plaza so he got out his maps and plotted us a shorter route back through the U.S.. Real nice guy. Sadly we only made it to just outside Montpelier Vt. where the rear diff. seals blew. I thought good this is the only time I ever bought extended warr.. The dealer said it needed more than seals but they couldn't use the extended as the orig. powertrain warr. was still in effect so G.M. would pay the shot and I didn`t even have to pay the deductible. So I guess we are stuck in Vt. for a couple of days. G.M. will even pay for a rental car for us but it has to be a G.M. and the local Enterprise didn`t have one on the lot so maybe tomorrow. People have been great and a salesman at the dealer towed our rig with his own truck to a nearby campground. Just another new experience for us although I'm sure my dear wife would rather do without it . Thanks to my magic jack we have let our kids know what is happening. They are only as good as your internet connection but for $20/yr I highly recommend them. Oh well..c'est la vie. Now I will just listen to (zoomer radio which I also recommend for us old guys) on my computer and we will see what tomorrow brings. Till safely. Old Guys

new avatar of Dodge T V coming eventually
old guys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:27 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
That bites that the axles seals went. How many klicks on the Avy? Seal issues usually happen on higher mileage units.
2011 Chevrolet K2500HD w/ Tekonsha P3 brake controller, Husky W/D hitch
2009 Rockwood 2106 Mini-Lite
Nights camped 2010: 21
Nights camped 2011: 17
Nights camped 2012: 8
revrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 09:49 PM   #17
We're Home

Turns out it was the rear pinion gear that came apart but it really chewd up the differential. G.M. was paying as the orig. powertrain warr. was still in effect and they chose to replace the diff. case assembly, side bearings, axle bearings, axle seals, ring gear and pinion, pinion bearings, wash it all out replace all fluids,shims, set backlash, roadtest, redrain and refill with new synthetic fluid. They also included a free 27 point inspection and only suggested I was almost due for a full brake job and that I shoulod redrain the rear end and replace the fluid once more when we got home to clear out any filings that may still remain in there. The brakes were no suprise as they had been to Florida and around the Gaspe in Quebec as well as around the Cabot Trail, through P.E.I.. Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont. That's a lot of mountains. G.M. also paid for a rental car and all we had to pay was the gas, so we enjoyed a three day layover in the Montpelier area of Vermont. Let me just say there are some really great people in Vermont. At any rate we are home safe and none the worse for the wear. Time to pay some bills and think about the next trip. Old Guys

new avatar of Dodge T V coming eventually
old guys is offline   Reply With Quote