Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-28-2016, 10:48 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
Be careful before we accuse someone of playing this game. Sometimes it's someone with a Class B or C that has paid for the site, but needs to go to town or somewhere, so they pack up and leave "something" to try to hold their site. Camp chairs seems to be what I usually see. They don't usually want to leave much of value, in case someone decides to "help themselves" to their stuff.
I get what you are saying and can understand those circumstances. Come on down to Eldon Hazlet SP prior to a major holiday and watch the games. You will be amazed.

Better yet try to get a spot prior to the annual Halloween party in the park. Most folks start staking out sites a week in advance. Several do so to the build elaborate Halloween displays. It is pretty cool to see.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 11:17 AM   #22

I don't get why being smart and getting a spot early to ensure it at a specific time is considered 'playing games'. And the parks we frequent either don't have the rule about actually being in your RV overnight, or don't enforce it. I don't see the purpose for the rule, if it's paid for I don't see why the park would care. But if we are going to to be absent overnight we do tell them out of courtesy.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 11:52 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
I don't get why being smart and getting a spot early to ensure it at a specific time is considered 'playing games'. And the parks we frequent either don't have the rule about actually being in your RV overnight, or don't enforce it. I don't see the purpose for the rule, if it's paid for I don't see why the park would care. But if we are going to to be absent overnight we do tell them out of courtesy.
Because not everyone can play that game (it takes more than just "being smart;" you have to have to be able to tow your rig to the CG and then turn around and go home.

Folks who aren't able to play that game (and even folks who can) would say it's "unfair."

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 12:25 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdiller View Post
Last summer we paid for a site at a Corps of Engineer campground for a Wednesday through Saturday. We arrived and setup and the next morning left to go fishing. When we got back there was a note on the camper about no one at the site. I contacted the campground host and asked about it. Seems that a popular thing locals do is to rent a site say Wednesday or Thursday through the weekend then put the camper there and not use it till the weekend. This is a popular weekend spot so the locals were gaming the system. This was the first time I had seen something like this. Check with the campground host about your plans to see if it's ok.
This is a common practice with a lot of Corps campgounds due to their nice locations along rivers and lakes, as well as the discounted prices. The one we always camped in at Cheatham Lake Lock and Dam near Nashville, TN was always inhabited by locals who brought their units in early in the week and would leave them until the weekend or a full 14 days. Doesn't seem fair, but you have a beautiful, lakeside lot for a fraction of the price you'd pay at a private campground.
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 01:13 PM   #25

14 DAYS and then you have to pull out for 5 days . Is how it is at our lake close to home and it is a state park
2013 HARLEY TRI-GLIDE
danny4127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 08:46 PM   #26

Quote:
Because not everyone can play that game (it takes more than just "being smart;" you have to have to be able to tow your rig to the CG and then turn around and go home.

Folks who aren't able to play that game (and even folks who can) would say it's "unfair."
Sorry.... Just don't see it. If you pay for a spot for extra days, what is not fair? If you can't get there early, you need to go to plan B on busy weekends, just like everybody else.
Old 12-28-2016, 09:27 PM   #27

Quote:
Sorry.... Just don't see it. If you pay for a spot for extra days, what is not fair? If you can't get there early, you need to go to plan B on busy weekends, just like everybody else.
In Illinois SP's, the rules state that a living/sleeping unit "tent, TT or RV" must be on-site to secure it as a legitimate campsite. It is against these rules to park a chair or such in place of what is required.

Folks put up a chair on a site pay the fee for however many days and return with a real camping unit when desired.

Folks that come in off the road will pass a bunch of empty sites with a chair on it and not be able to use what is basically an non occupied site.

In the Illinois park rules this is not allowed. Some CG hosts do not enforce it.

People are gaming the system.

EDIT: Nobody enforces the rule that you must spend the night. I have not found such a rule in Illinois SP's. It is the gaming to reserve a site that is wrong. I tell the CG host(s) when I will be away as to hope that they might notice foul play.
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 11:34 PM   #28

Quote:

Quote:
Well, like it or not, "rules" are usually made to prohibit actions and activities that "most people" believe are wrong in some way, either morally or ethically. That's why they're called "rules" (or "laws").

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 11:52 PM   #29
Site Team

Leaving the trailer

Folks, this discussion is drifting off course. Lets return the feedback directed to the OP question.

Thank you.
FRF site team

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 12:00 AM   #30

Quote:
Well, like it or not, "rules" are usually made to prohibit actions and activities that "most people" believe are wrong in some way, either morally or ethically. That's why they're called "rules" (or "laws").
Well, next time I want to ensure I have a spot for a busy weekend, I'll go a week ahead of time, pay the fee for the entire time, park my rig there, go home, and then call you and see if you are going to show up on Friday thinking you deserve a spot, and let you have mine. Of course you will need to reimburse me. I don't believe any park we frequent that doesn't have reservations has any rule about actually staying in your RV every night. And if they do, it's never enforced. Of course, we are out west where there seems to be a lot less nonsense rules
Old 12-29-2016, 03:35 AM   #31

Quote:
Well, next time I want to ensure I have a spot for a busy weekend, I'll go a week ahead of time, pay the fee for the entire time, park my rig there, go home, and then call you and see if you are going to show up on Friday thinking you deserve a spot, and let you have mine. Of course you will need to reimburse me. I don't believe any park we frequent that doesn't have reservations has any rule about actually staying in your RV every night. And if they do, it's never enforced. Of course, we are out west where there seems to be a lot less nonsense rules

The rules mentioned came about specifically in an attempt to make the reservation process as fair as possible. Some people do not have the time or money to book unused days or deliver/drop off RV'S. First come first serve policy's are different but come with their own set of problems and require full time administration or things can get out of control at busy parks. Private parks are different as they are all about occupancy rates and revenue. Nothing most private park owners would like better than having every site paid for even if not occupied. Most public parks are not about that. Not only are there overnight occupancy rules, but no show policies, cancellation policies, maximum stay policies, etc. All an attempt at making the reservation process as fair as possible. No system can be perfect and anything can be gamed. Your NM parks have some of those same rules such as 14 day maximums and financial penalties for cancellations designed to deter reserving early when the booking window opens and then canceling the non desired day/s.

As far as gaming systems just ask any Florida resident how their state Park reservations are gamed from Dec until April and its done in most cases by non residents. You'll most likely get an ear full.

If you let the host, owner, ranger, etc know you are leaving I doubt they will take issue no matter what the policy is.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trailer