Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2017, 09:09 AM   #1

Leaving Water Heater empty?

I don't plan on using hot water heater for a few months during the summer months (not winterizing question).

Do you think leaving the water heater empty is a good idea. Most of me feels it's better empty then full of stale water. Some feel a full tank helps stop rust from forming, which may be true.
K2Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:27 AM   #2
Georgia Rally Coordinator

I drain mine after every trip and if it's going to sit for a while. Doing this prevents the smell you get from stagnate water. Just remember to have your electric water switch off and propane off, so you do not burn up the heating element only takes a few seconds for this to happen with out water in the heater. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:33 AM   #3

I never drain my hot water heater
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:35 AM   #4

Before we retired, and our fiver sat unused for long periods, we only drained ours once a year for winterization. Never had a problem with smell, scale, or anything else and we live where it is HOT. So I think it's just personal preference. Personally, I think taking the drain plug/anode rod in/out all the time has more potential for problems
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:35 AM   #5

Same here - all it takes is a few bacteria in the hose that supplied the rig's water system and that foul rotten egg smell will blossom with the microbial growth.
2012 Ram 3500 6.7L Cummins
owgpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:45 AM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
Before we retired, and our fiver sat unused for long periods, we only drained ours once a year for winterization. Never had a problem with smell, scale, or anything else and we live where it is HOT. So I think it's just personal preference. Personally, I think taking the drain plug/anode rod in/out all the time has more potential for problems
This has been our same practice and thoughts for many years.
X2

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:55 AM   #7
NH Maple Maker

I find that if I don't drain my water heater I get a bad rotten egg smell that is hard to get rid of. I recommend draining it and taking the necessary precautions to make sure it doesn't turn on or ignite while it's empty.

The tank won't rust it will oxidize because it made of aluminum, not steel. The oxidation and bacteria are what cause the rotten egg smell. The tank won't oxidize as fast when it is empty and dry as it will when it is full.

2014 V Cross VIBE 822VRBS

2017 Silverado 1500 crew cab 4x4
russhd1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:18 AM   #8

Location: Minnesota ( wishing we were boondocking in the New York Catskills )
We tend to leave ours full from start to finish of season, six-plus months. But we do start with "city" water which in our case is about as chlorinated as a new bottle of bleach. We also keep some quantity of that in our fresh tank ... if we have to take on non-city water somewhere, we typically run it through and then re-up on city water before sitting idle again. Sodium Hypochlorite (bleach) is added to well and unknown water we put in the tank. We have NOT had smell problems with the water heater.

Note that we generally do not consume our "tap" water, we carry gallons of distilled for coffee brewing and cooking. People who have stones understand the religion of this.

Jeff and Abby
Fur Babies - Xandra Sophia (GSD) and Neo (Min-Pin Mutt who thinks he is a cat)
2015 Tracer Air 235 (previous 1994 Veri-Lite 1130 TC)
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab - 360 - 46RE (Built)
Jeff_and_Abby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:26 AM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by russhd1997 View Post
I find that if I don't drain my water heater I get a bad rotten egg smell that is hard to get rid of. I recommend draining it and taking the necessary precautions to make sure it doesn't turn on or ignite while it's empty.

The tank won't rust it will oxidize because it made of aluminum, not steel. The oxidation and bacteria are what cause the rotten egg smell. The tank won't oxidize as fast when it is empty and dry as it will when it is full.
Atwood brand tanks are made of aluminum.
Suburban are made of steel, hence the anode rod.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:22 PM   #10

If you drain it, put several notes around reminding you to fill it BEFORE you turn on the electric or propane heater.

I know this because...
Epat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:32 PM   #11

Ours is filled in the spring (using city water) and drained in the fall. Have never had a problem with odors. I've also never burned out the electric element by inadvertently turning on the element in a dry tank but that's likely as much good luck as good management. I also change the anode rod annually. Probably not necessary but cheap insurance.
6.6 Duramax / Allison 1000
Flatlander49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:43 PM   #12

Since I have well water, I hook up and fill everything ~ all water lines, water heater, toilet, whatever. When we get to a camping location, I hook up to their water supply to use for only the toilet, showers and dish washing. The fresh water tank only has enough water in it (from my well) for the toilet use while on the road if needed. We purchase water for drinking & food prep wherever we go.

When I get home, the water heater & fresh water tank is drained and low point drains uncapped. The anode rod is inside the water heater hatch, so no need to remember where I left it. I have the small flex plastic tube to rinse the inside of the tank before refilling for the next trip.

This is just my way of dealing with things, so not in any way telling anyone what or how they should take care of their TT.
extxn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 01:18 PM   #13

I shock my with chlorine every so often. 1/4 to 1/2 cup and run it through my system and let it sit for a couple of days then drain and run through with fresh water. You won't have to worry about bacteria if you do this every so often.
Stovebolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:03 PM   #14

All good advise... Ive done this all summer so far, I think I will look for the breaker to shut off the electric to the hot water heater (Just to be safe) going forward.
K2Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:26 PM   #15

We only drain ours annually to clean. Recommend you don't drain. Good luck!
RLHAMILTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:18 PM   #16

I'm not sure that there's an advantage to draining it or even bypassing it. I'd just leave the hot water heater turned off, but NOT bypass it. Pull water through it as one might when mindlessly going for the hot water valve on the faucet...or by deliberately doing so to ensure regular exchange for fresh water in the tank. That will exchange the water in the tank often enough that it's not stale.

Meanwhile, should you decide you need hot water at any time, all you need to do is throw the switch. There will be no risk of firing up a dry hot water heater and wrecking an electric element or damaging the propane heater portion of the tank.

If you always go to RV parks, this won't be important. But if you happen to be boondocking, refilling the hot water heater on a whim will consume 6 gallons (or possibly more) to fill the hot water heater, and that 6 gallons will deplete your fresh holding tank at a time you might need it to get through your trip.

As for oxidation and corrosion, I can't speculate on whether having water in the tank or allowing it to thoroughly dry would be preferable. It's designed to be full. It is possible, however, that any scale that sheds from an electric element or other surfaces in the tank when dry might accumulate at the bottom of the tank and come out all at once during your occasional use, whereas the same particulates will be flushed out continuously (and imperceptibly) if you keep the water flowing.

Bottom line, if you draw water through the heater regularly, it won't get stale.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:35 PM   #17
HikerBob

Send a message via MSN to HikerBob Send a message via Yahoo to HikerBob Send a message via Skype™ to HikerBob
Before boondocking, I avoid sucking 6 gallons of water from my FW tank by opening the pressure relief valve on the WH and running the pump when I fill the FW tank. I also run all the piping full of water before stopping the filling procedure, thereby assuring that I have as much water on board as possible. All that and a couple of 3 gallon jugs of water saved us from an awful experience earlier this summer when we arrived at Butte Lake in Lassen Volcanic National Park to find the water system out of order.
HikerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2Kevin View Post
I don't plan on using hot water heater for a few months during the summer months (not winterizing question).

Do you think leaving the water heater empty is a good idea. Most of me feels it's better empty then full of stale water. Some feel a full tank helps stop rust from forming, which may be true.
Having gotten the "rotten eggs" once after not draining the water heater for a few weeks, I now drain it after every trip. Have never gotten the "rotten eggs" again. (I also open the low point drains and all the faucets and drain out all the lines too. Only takes a couple of minutes.)
Mark Ulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:44 PM   #19

I do not leave water in the tank while the trailer is in storage for 2 reasons. i would think it would minimize corrosion and consumption of the anode. many times i actually drain the tank just before we leave our last campsite so the tank is empty while travelling. 12 gallons of water is 100 lbs that you don't have to lug around.
Old 08-04-2017, 08:03 PM   #20
Site Team

I always drain WH and water lines if TT will sit for more than 2 weeks. Only takes a few minutes extra and never had odors. In all fairness I have an Atwood WH and have replaced the drain plug with a 1/4 turn drain valve so draining is as simple as turning the valve. The campgrounds we use most often all have well water. As a good test, fill an opaque container with water from the water system. place a top on the container and let it sit on in the sink in your RV for a few weeks. Open it and decide if you want to use that for your water needs.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, water, water heater