Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2014, 10:38 AM   #1

LED Light Replacement

I am sure everyone has a different answer but I want your opinions on LED light and what ones I should use. Is it worth replacing my existing OEM bulbs with LEDs? (I am no planning to replace the fixtures, just the bulbs at least for now) If you say yes, then what ones do you use/recommend? I have found a bunch on Amazon and eBay. None seem to have great reviews but most seem to be coming from people putting them in their cars.

If you have a recommendation and it can be bought online, please provide a link if you have it. I am an online shopping junkie and rarely buy from a store unless I need it immediately. I look forward to the opinions.
Central Ohio
thetanu539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:46 AM   #2

Do you plan on boon-docking or are you just looking for an upgrade. If you always have electric hookup than there is no real need to change them. I use the 48 led flat panels like these 48 LED 1210 3528 SMD CAR Interior Light Panel Bulb T10 Dome BA9S Adapter White | eBay

Current: 2019 Sunseeker 2290S
Previous (2012-2016): 2012 Vibe 6501
1 Prospector Canoe, 2 Mtn. Bikes & 4 Hiking Boots
Happy Vibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:00 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Vibe View Post
Do you plan on boon-docking or are you just looking for an upgrade. If you always have electric hookup than there is no real need to change them. I use the 48 led flat panels like these 48 LED 1210 3528 SMD CAR Interior Light Panel Bulb T10 Dome BA9S Adapter White | eBay
No boon-docking, I just like to conserve energy where I can.
Central Ohio
Old 06-17-2014, 11:24 AM   #4

I replaced all the lights in my Leprachun.
It cost me about $200. I bought all of them from Amazon. I am very happy with the outcome. The lights are brighter and whiter and I'm saving energy. The bulbs that came with my motorhome were starting to burn out. I replaced three and hadn't used the lights much. I leave some of the LED lights on most of the time and they have never failed. All are still going after five months of use. They also don't give off heat like the original bulbs. The fixtures won't have to be replaced due to heat damage.
realredrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by realredrebel View Post
I replaced all the lights in my Leprachun.
It cost me about $200. I bought all of them from Amazon. I am very happy with the outcome. The lights are brighter and whiter and I'm saving energy. The bulbs that came with my motorhome were starting to burn out. I replaced three and hadn't used the lights much. I leave some of the LED lights on most of the time and they have never failed. All are still going after five months of use. They also don't give off heat like the original bulbs. The fixtures won't have to be replaced due to heat damage.
Which lights did you use? Can you provide a link to the amazon page or give me a search word that I can find them?
Central Ohio
Old 06-17-2014, 11:38 AM   #6

I just bought 10 of these:

Quality RV LED Retrofit Light Bulb

They should be here in a few days. The regular 1141's were OK, but they got really hot. I will let you know how they work. There is a discount code for this site also.
Skippy38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:13 PM   #7

Replaced all my lights with leds purchased on Amazon. This reduces the heat from the bulbs to zero. Bought the led bulbs with the warm white light and have no regrets.

Sent from my SM-P905V using Forest River Forums mobile app
kssportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:21 AM   #8

The lights I used the most in my rig were the Gold Stars LED replacement bulbs. They have the 921 base. I bought them in packages of twelve. You should check to see what kind of base you need before ordering.
realredrebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:49 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

I detailed my exerience with LED's in the first post of this thread:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ded-47014.html

I didn't do it to conserve energy, I swapped them out to avoid the kids burning themselves on any fixtures they could reach. I only paid like $10 something to get a pack of 10. Used 6 on kid reachable lights and kept the rest as spares.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:36 AM   #10

I think they are worth it they are cooler, didn't like how hot fixtures got with old lights, also if you plan on a trip that has no power they use less power. Look on ebay for the best price I have the round ones with 13 leds and flat ones with 20 leds , not much difference in them, it's how many lumens that count. 200 to 400 lumens is what I would say to look for I got the round 13 led ones from china on ebay for $20 and got 20 of them and they were 220 lumens and to my wife and I they seemed bright enough. We were short 6 of having enough for the inside I got them at an rv show for $5 dollars each and those were the flat ones and they were around 275 lumens. Shop around is the best advice I can give but ebay was the cheapest to find them . You have to decide on the brightness, some look blue, some look yellow and some look white. Your preference. First pic is the round second is the flat leds.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	251.7 KB
ID:	55682   Click image for larger version

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	315.3 KB
ID:	55683  

Tags
led, light, replacement