Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2011, 05:50 PM   #1

LED lighting

Has anyone replaced their bulbs with LED's and if so what was your impression? I am trying to save battery power but still want good light to read by... I have a Cardinal 30TS with two battery banks but the cold weather means we use more power. Worth the cost?
chiefly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:28 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefly1 View Post
Has anyone replaced their bulbs with LED's and if so what was your impression? I am trying to save battery power but still want good light to read by... I have a Cardinal 30TS with two battery banks but the cold weather means we use more power. Worth the cost?

i picked one up toady to replace the burned up one over my stove, but it may bea while before i get to install it, sorry
i did get it on sale for $18.00 at camping world
the display they had set up looks nice and bright and if it lasts forever i should be happy, they are costly but i figure as the old ones burn out i will replace them with the LEDs

i will be readings the replys also

dan

2005 Dodge Ram
2011 Rockwood 8281SS
Danimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:03 PM   #3

I've replaced every interior bulb in my 2607 with LED, including the one in the fridge and the one in the stove vent. It's a little "brighter", like having flourescent lighting in a kitchen vs. incandescent elsewhere in a stick home, but we got used to it quickly. The best part was how little they drew from my battery!

Read about my three step process to repower my TT- Step 1 was to reduce load, by relamping all lights - here: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ion-14096.html

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:18 PM   #4
JAYCO Representative

There's a lot of good discussion on this topic here:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-17571.html
Wildcat Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:53 AM   #5
Travelin Man

Exclamation LED bulb from camping world

I replaced one bulb in a light fixture in our 5th wheel bedroom with a bulb from camping world. the light is great from the bulb, it is on of the spot bulbs. One thing we found out tho is with the light turned on our TV freezes up. I looked up LED light interference online and found out that they can cause some type of TV/radio interference. I havent found much info about that yet, might be certain brands that cause the problem.
We are eventually going to replace all the major light bulbs in our 5th wheel as we do a lot of dry camping.
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...cons/icon4.gif
Douglasdh62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:42 PM   #6

I have replaced all the interior lights in my ford pick up with LEDs which in many ways is not too much different than doing a camper. Basically find the correct corrsponding LED bulb and put it in. One thing you will notice is a different shade of light. Original bulbs in the vehicle had almost a pale yellow color to them, the LEDs are more white. My only suggestion would be to do a couple of lights first, that way you can compare original lights to the LEDs and see if you like both the color difference and the output. I plan on doing our camper, but not until spring.
paulmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:53 PM   #7

We replaced all the lights in our 23' TT with LEDs just before our recent 8 day boondocking trip. We used all the lighting we needed plus heat and water pump and at the end of the trip our 2 105ah batteries still pulled in the slide. Prior to that with standard bulbs both batteries were near dead after 5 days. So for us, worth the $$.

2006 T23FBL Wildwood Lite
2009 Ford E-350 Super Duty 5.4L 3.73
kevinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 07:48 AM   #8
Wanna Be Camper

We tried a few and took them out. I hate the light quality of LED's they are like high pressure sodium or mercury vapor yard lites IMO, bright yes but useless to read by for any amount of time without causing eye strain. When they actually make LED light that are real natural in color, temp and brightness compared to std bulbs I'll give it a go again. I will not even use an LED flashlight as I hate the light quality that bad. But everyones eyes are different and battery life is more important to some than quality of the light.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 01:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSasks View Post
We tried a few and took them out. I hate the light quality of LED's they are like high pressure sodium or mercury vapor yard lites IMO, bright yes but useless to read by for any amount of time without causing eye strain. When they actually make LED light that are real natural in color, temp and brightness compared to std bulbs I'll give it a go again.
They do make warm white LEDs now...... just have to get them from the right place.

Warm white LEDs are the way to go.... something around 3200-3800 color temp seems to be fairly close in color temperature to the incandescent bulbs.

I bought some from LEDTrailerLights.com a while back and they are everything you want in an LED. Perfect color temp, same brightness, or a tad brighter than an 1141 incandescent. They are having a year end sale at LED Trailer Lights. Everyone in my circle of camping friends has been totally happy with their lights too.

Bob
BobandArlene is offline   Reply With Quote