Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2015, 02:23 PM   #201
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by blwnsmoke View Post
I truly think the majority of police officers are "good" people and do not abuse their power. The thing is.. if it is a simple ticket stop, then why should a cop ask to search your vehicle (I've never been searched or asked to be)? I believe it is more about protecting yourself against the 1 bad one in the crowd who like to abuse or overuse their power. It's pretty simple in my eyes.. if I didn't do anything wrong (besides a possible motor vehicle citation), you have no reason to search or even ask to search my vehicle.

When asked "where are you heading to", I've always politely answered because I have nothing to hide and sometimes like to just have a conversation. But again, it is none of their business and we have no reason to tell them where we are going or what we are doing.

Perfect example.. my father had quad heart bypass surgury.. my wife and I with my 2 girls were heading over to see him for the first time.. we were running late and I ran a red light (damn yellow light switched fast lol). Got pulled over, told the cop where I was going, admitted what I did wrong when asked "do you know why I stopped you" (boy what a loaded question that is).. told him why, admitted I was wrong and he let me go with a warning. Even stated to him AFTER he gave me the warning "I'm sure you hear all kinds of excuses every day but just so you know, I really am headed to the hospital (and showed him 2 get well cards). He responded, "I didn't think you were making it up and believed you when you told me".

The fact is IMO, if they are asking to have the vehicle searched, they have nothing on you and are just looking to find something. IF they have something on you already, they don't need permission. So it goes back to, if they ask, say NO.

Just my $0.02.. or by now, maybe $0.03.
I agree. But for the most part very few people are actually asked to have their car searched.. People make it sound like it is everytime they get stopped. Fact is most cops are just stopping you because it's part of their job and the quicker they can get rid of you with the warning or ticket the quicker they can go back to whatever they were doing. Probably only 1 or 2 percent of cops give two poops about more than doing their job as required. This is NOT saying they are lazy, just not their thing.

I (this is me ) do not ask to search random cars. If I am asking I am looking and expecting to find something due to the answers I may receive or other factors of what I might see. Example was my previous post on crossing into Canada for a few hours when I lived 8 hours away and we had no luggage... That does not make sense and that would be a car I'd want to search if they contented. I was shocked I was not searched..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply
Old 08-29-2015, 02:26 PM   #202

It's always a mystery when the media gets in a hot topic like LEO deaths. Are we experiencing a huge increase in attacks on LEO or is this about "normal".

My reason for asking is I hate to be played by the media.

Phil57 is offline   Reply
Old 08-29-2015, 02:34 PM   #203
Who Dares, Wins

No the media just plays us. Police deaths are always too high, but usually is from crashes or something similar. Assault deaths and death by firearms are now starting to surpass the crash deaths.. That's a problem. Police shoot people everyday it happens part of the world we live in.

Edit, had to look, three officers killed just yesterday though out the country. How many people were shot and killed by the police? Who is reporting the stories of the officers around the clock on the news worldwide? Who's rioting for them and their families justice? No one, they just out on their uniform and hit the streets.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply
Old 08-29-2015, 02:40 PM   #204
Who Dares, Wins

Yes, see above I did an edit...
He should ride with us in some of these areas we patrol. I am now in a pretty quiet area compared to where I was before. My precinct was. 08 square miles. We had 4 officers patrolling just this area, 15,000 calls for service a year. In a 12 hour shift we be 10 calls in The whole all night.

Now I am by myself and get about 6000 a year. Let them walk in our shoes and make the split second decisions we need to make.. And see if they are always perfect and correct.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply
Old 08-29-2015, 03:52 PM   #205

Looks like an arrest has been made in the Houston case.

Phil57 is offline   Reply
Old 08-31-2015, 05:01 PM   #206
Moderator Emeritus

This thread is on an emotionally charged topic, and for the most part members have stayed on course. It has been offline for a couple of days to allow for some clean ups. As most members that wanted to contribute have had time to do so, the moderation team feels that this is a good time to close the thread.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply
Closed Thread