Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 07:16 AM   #21

Just remember, when crossing the border, they can search. You do not have to say a word to them, but they don't have to allow you into the country if you don't answer their questions or show required identification.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 07:16 AM   #22
Mod free 5er

IMO, it's just not worth the hassle. Nothing will be gained and antagonizing LE is a good way to make it lead something worse. Most LE will tell you that no one can drive down the street very far without violating some regulation or law. Turn signal not on soon enough, equipment malfunction, weaving, etc, LE can find something if they want to.
OldCoot is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 07:21 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
So, if you saw an LEO needing help, you would not even call for help? Maybe as simple as being offroad in a ditch and hurt.

I pray that doesn't happen to me but if I knew it was a cop I forget it and drive on. I am not getting involved anymore. Think of me what you will but I got screwed by a cop,$4,000.00 bucks worth. I stay away from cops

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 07:21 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie70 View Post
Other than the fact I have a Virginia CHP and will most likely be carrying my handgun on me when in VA or neighboring states that honor it (which so far has been 100% of our camping) I have nothing they would be interested in. But I doubt I would allow it.
Have a question even through you do not have to allow an officer to inspect your car or trailer without a warrant. When you get pulled over and the office ask for your Lic. and Reg. at that time should you also present your CCW to him so he know you are armed?

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 07:25 AM   #25
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I pray that doesn't happen to me but if I knew it was a cop I forget it and drive on. I am not getting involved anymore. Think of me what you will but I got screwed by a cop,$4,000.00 bucks worth. I stay away from cops.
Another saying from my grandpa, "Few are the roads with no turns in them".
OldCoot is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 07:30 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
Just remember, when crossing the border, they can search. You do not have to say a word to them, but they don't have to allow you into the country if you don't answer their questions or show required identification.

I just came back from Mexico I didn't let them in the truck or trailer. They did have the drug dogs sniff around
iceblaze580 is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 07:30 AM   #27

Good luck with (No Search Warrant) if you are (Traveling thru Tx,Az) and the (Check Points) are set up! If the (DOG Barks) your unit will be (Torn Up)! They/You may call it (Searched) but I have seen (Torn Up)! Youroo!! PS this was (NOT) at the Border!
youroo is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 07:44 AM   #28

Quote:
There is no way the police in America are going to search my camper without a warrant. I don't do drugs and if I have gun it will be a shotgun. I had a problem with the police and now I understand why some people don't talk to cops, these days if a cop asks me if I saw something I'm going to say no. Now days if a cop asks me did I see anything this what I say, I see nothing, I hear nothing, I keep my mouth shut if a cop talks to me. I will never help a cop by saying anything. I hate to say this but I don't like cops. It cost me a bunch of money to learn my lesson but I keep my shut around cops and I pray that this doesn't happen but if I would see one in a bad way I would walk on

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Sorry about your Loss and your bad experience with a police officer. Not all of them are bad guys and when it comes to someone needing assistance they will be there 9 out of 10 times to help.

If I was ever asked for assistance I would give it as I hope they would return the favor in the event my trailer or home gets vandalized or worse a crime is committed where I'm the victim. Who you gonna call when you need help with a civil matter. Just my 2 cents....
Eastlake, OH
EastlakeRoo is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 07:46 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Have a question even through you do not have to allow an officer to inspect your car or trailer without a warrant. When you get pulled over and the office ask for your Lic. and Reg. at that time should you also present your CCW to him so he know you are armed?
I can't speak for other states but in OHIO you are required to tell the officer if you have a CCW permit and whether you are carrying it or not right up front. These MUST be the first words out of your mouth. If you don't and the officer finds out (and they will by running you for ID check) you can be arrested on the spot.
cpd1343 is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 07:48 AM   #30

Quote:
I don't want to derail this this thread, but to answer your question I have never been pulled over while carrying. Although it isn't required to tell them in VA, if it happens my plan is to keep both hands on the wheel in plain sight and inform the officer that I am legally carrying a concealed weapon.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:48 AM   #31
Site Team

Just wanted to say, I'm a retired peace officer, 33 yrs of helping others, and I will still pull over to help you if I see you in the ditch, flat tire, stuck, broke down etc. That's what we do. Even for those who do not appreciate it.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 07:49 AM   #32

Border patrol has some limited power to search within 100 miles of a border. But at the border, can search any vehicle coming across the border.
Here's a decent sheet of info from the ACLU (yea, every once in a while the ACLU publishes something decent).
http://www.acluaz.org/sites/default/...%20ENGLISH.pdf

Years ago, I was pulled over at the stop in I10, just inside the NM border from TX. Driving a Vette, they asked rather politely if they could do a complete search. I said sure, go for it. They were very professional, asked me to open the hood and to take off out the targa roof I had in the back.

When they were done, I said I was surprised they didn't search me; they asked why, I told them I have been basically standing behind them with a SIG P226 and three magazines. However, I made sure to have my ID in my hand when I told them.

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
Old 08-26-2015, 07:52 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcheatwood View Post
It appears Mr Spock has left the bldg, but I wanted to say, I'm a retired peace officer, 33 yrs of helping others, and I will still pull over to help you if I see you in the ditch, flat tire, stuck, broke down etc. That's what we do. Even for those who do not appreciate it.
Thank you for your service.
cpd1343 is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 07:54 AM   #34

Quote:
All depends on the state; before traveling, best to check the state you are traveling in or to for their laws. Remember, when traveling on a permit you must follow the laws of the state you are in, not the issuing state.

I always notify and always have; even back when I carried with Federal ID. If anything just to show respect and let them know. Most of the time I believe a run of your license will show you have a permit; not sure if that is true for all states.

But in many states it is not required.

Quote:
It appears Mr Spock has left the bldg, but I wanted to say, I'm a retired peace officer, 33 yrs of helping others, and I will still pull over to help you if I see you in the ditch, flat tire, stuck, broke down etc. That's what we do. Even for those who do not appreciate it.
I personally will always help a LEO or someone else if I see them in trouble.

And I would never condemn all for the deeds of one.

Old 08-26-2015, 07:57 AM   #35

Quote:
I pray that doesn't happen to me but if I knew it was a cop I forget it and drive on. I am not getting involved anymore. Think of me what you will but I got screwed by a cop,$4,000.00 bucks worth. I stay away from cops

I'm sorry, but this is just ignorant.
I got screwed out of a lot more than that by my ex-wife, but I will still help out a woman in need.
Old 08-26-2015, 07:58 AM   #36

Quote:
To me THANK-YOU for daily putting your life on the line. It seems that attitude of Mr. Spock and some others is what causes all these problems today, Nobody wants to get involved or help someone. I'm old school and I would do anything I can to help a fellow person out or help the police apprehend a Bad Person. But then of course I do believe in Karma to...... PS: I'm not picking on Mr. Spock but just shocked on an attitude like that it helps no one...

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 08:05 AM   #37
(Dry Huunday)

Quote:
To me THANK-YOU for daily putting your life on the line. It seems that attitude of Mr. Spock and some others is what causes all these problems today, Nobody wants to get involved or help someone. I'm old school and I would do anything I can to help a fellow person out or help the police apprehend a Bad Person. But then of course I do believe in Karma to...... PS: I'm not picking on Mr. Spock but just shocked on an attitude like that it helps no one...
X2!

Beau & Sue
FurKid Express
2015 Coachmen Catalina 303RLS
2016 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD Duramax
The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs!
DreiHunde is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 08:14 AM   #38

As a retired Police Officer. I can say that there are no hard and fast answers to this interesting question.
The Courts have always lent more scrutiny in allowing Police officers as far as home searches then say vs a vehicle search. meaning that it would require a lot more probable cause to search a house vs. less probable cause to search say a vehicle. Each case is weighed on its own merit and interpretation.
When in doubt a warrant is always best, but not always required. There are things like whats called exigent circumstances etc. that weigh in the decision.
Plus there is always what is called "Consent to search". If you tell a Police Officer when he ask's "Can I search your home , RV, vehicle and you say yes. You have given consent. He / She does not need a warrant.
Plus keeping in mind that at a latter date a hearing can be given on the Officers "Right" to make that search. If the court rules it was not a proper or good search the evidence found can be excluded from trial or maybe cause a dismissal of charges. So there is no easy correct answer to this question. Every case and situation is different.
philv is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 08:18 AM   #39

Yes I will let them search, nothing bad will come out of if your respectful and follow instruction.

I have a freind who will not, has proven it a few times although I think he has a mark on him now. He has been held on the side of the road for hours while waiting for warrants. Good guy, absolutely no record, holds a good position in a high up company and former military. He is of the opinion he did not serve in Iraq for freedom to lose it on the side of a I95. He has a point...I will still let them search though.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:21 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie70 View Post
I don't want to derail this this thread, but to answer your question I have never been pulled over while carrying. Although it isn't required to tell them in VA, if it happens my plan is to keep both hands on the wheel in plain sight and inform the officer that I am legally carrying a concealed weapon.
I have presented my CHP (Concealed Handgun Permit) 2 times to a LEO. 1 time was when a lady hit my truck in the rear, and the other was for a roadblock. Both times, the LEO glanced at my CHP, and handed it back, concentrating on my driver's license and registration.

I would think a LEO would be relieved when he/she sees a CHP, knowing that upfront that I might be carrying, and that I have passed a required class on handgun safety, and have gone through a thorough back ground check.

About allowing searches on vehicles, I think it would depend on how much of a hurry you are in. Allowing a search should let you be underway in short order, but if you have to wait on a search warrant, you could be detained for hours.

Even though this thread has stayed on track with no questionable posts, I am going to make this a hot topic for future posts. That is nothing more than a pop-up screen appearing when posting, giving fair warning to be careful with what you say.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply
Closed Thread