Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 08:22 AM   #41

A LEO can search my TT if he wants but it would be with the agreement that he takes his shoes off before entering.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 08:23 AM   #42
Broken Toe

I will be respectful. I have nothing at all to hide, however... I will exercise my rights against unlawful search and seizure by making them obtain a search warrant before I allow them to search anything I own.

The police (for the most part) do an outstanding job, with little appreciation. But they too have to play by the rules like the rest of us, and one of the rules is you cant just search a citizen for the hell of it. You need a reason, and its up to a judge to consider if their reason is valid.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 08:49 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
There is no way the police in America are going to search my camper without a warrant. I don't do drugs and if I have gun it will be a shotgun. I had a problem with the police and now I understand why some people don't talk to cops, these days if a cop asks me if I saw something I'm going to say no. Now days if a cop asks me did I see anything this what I say, I see nothing, I hear nothing, I keep my mouth shut if a cop talks to me. I will never help a cop by saying anything. I hate to say this but I don't like cops. It cost me a bunch of money to learn my lesson but I keep my shut around cops and I pray that this doesn't happen but if I would see one in a bad way I would walk on

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

As long as you don't ask cops for help ever, then carry on....
Nights camped 2015 - 46
Nights camped 2016 - 43
Nights camped 2017 - 2
5 hole is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 08:49 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I'm not hiding anything, so what makes the difference? Why antagonize them? Let 'em search and go on your way.
Because I have constitutional rights and i'm not going to allow some cop the right to violate my rights. Do I have anything to hide?? Absolutely not. That doesn't give them the right to search anything of mine without 1 of the following

1)Do they think I'm committing a crime?
2)Do they think I have committed a crime?
3)Do they think I'm about to commit a crime?

If they can't answer yes to any of them, buzz off and leave me alone. On top of that, if they can't say yes to one of the top 3, I don't even have to identify myself on who I am. Most don't realize that..

PS - I actually don't hate cops despite how this post may sound. But there are too many out there that feel they are high and mighty and can do whatever they want. They need a reality check on our rights and need to stop violating them.

Rant over.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:02 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Good luck with (No Search Warrant) if you are (Traveling thru Tx,Az) and the (Check Points) are set up! If the (DOG Barks) your unit will be (Torn Up)! They/You may call it (Searched) but I have seen (Torn Up)! Youroo!! PS this was (NOT) at the Border!
You are correct. If, at a road check, where a border patrol officer is present, as was the case in your observation youroo, they can search persons and your vehicle. As long as it is within 100 miles of the US Border. There are certain restrictions.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 09:06 AM   #46

Always support and respect The Thin Blue Line. And that Blue Line should do the same to you. Always be nice and respectful.

With that said, ask your self, "What would a traffic defense lawyer say to me if I were to be asked by a LEO to search my RV"? Laws very all over the country (example:showing conceal carry permit vs never bringing the subject up) and what you 'may' think as 'nothing to hide', our good officers in Blue, may think differently. Their job is to find law breakers and support public safety and what is ok in one state will get you ten years in an other state. Not knowing and understanding the laws of each state is not a defense against confiscation or incarceration. Know your Rights and don't give them up by giving permission too quickly as that permission can not be taken back once given, know your Responsibilities and know the laws of where you go.

LEOs job is very stressful to begin with. Look at some good videos on traffic stops in order to make any traffic stop as smooth and stress free for you and them.

This will be my only post on this subject. I do not wish to inflame anything on this subject and if this posts leads to that, the Administrators can remove it immediately.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 09:23 AM   #47

If I get stopped by highway patrol officers I show them my license and registration, I just don't volunteer any information. I am to hot headed so I never carry a gun, I got enough of carrying a gun in Vietnam.

spock123 is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 09:23 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie70 View Post
I got screwed out of a lot more than that by my ex-wife, but I will still help out a woman in need.
I about choked on my coffee when I read that....

Living somewhere in ID; previously lived in Moab UT; previous to that, don't ask!
f5moab is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 09:23 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
Always support and respect The Thin Blue Line. And that Blue Line should do the same to you. Always be nice and respectful.

With that said, ask your self, "What would a traffic defense lawyer say to me if I were to be asked by a LEO to search my RV"? Laws very all over the country (example:showing conceal carry permit vs never bringing the subject up) and what you 'may' think as 'nothing to hide', our good officers in Blue, may think differently. Their job is to find law breakers and support public safety and what is ok in one state will get you ten years in an other state. Not knowing and understanding the laws of each state is not a defense against confiscation or incarceration. Know your Rights and don't give them up by giving permission too quickly as that permission can not be taken back once given, know your Responsibilities and know the laws of where you go.

LEOs job is very stressful to begin with. Look at some good videos on traffic stops in order to make any traffic stop as smooth and stress free for you and them.

This will be my only post on this subject. I do not wish to inflame anything on this subject and if this posts leads to that, the Administrators can remove it immediately.
X2. It amazes me how many people don't know their constitutional rights or are willing to compromise them because "I'm not doing anything wrong."
biznsa is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 09:31 AM   #50
Gold Miner At Heart

I just retired from 30 years of Law Enforcement this past January. The laws are different for each state. Here in N.C. We can ask to search but if you refuse we would need a search warrant to search. Ok, being a officer this may shock some of you but if ask to search; I would say no. Ok Ok, wait before you start throwing doughnuts. LOL. Seriously though I have a good reason for my statement. Officers are people and sadly enough there are good honest ones that spend their career doing their best to help serve and protect. BUT, there are also bad ones that stain the whole community of brother hood of officers. We had an officer years ago that was actually investigated and convicted of planting drugs in people's vehicles to up his arrest record. He also was doing other things that I don't even want to talk about. So there are good officers and there are bad ones. If I were ever ask to search my vehicle or camper. I would not allow it. I on the other hand I would explain my reason for it. But as a citizen we all have rights to safe gard our property. I wish I could say; if you don't have anything to hide why would you refuse. That use to be my mentality as a young officer years ago but life isn't always fair or sometimes just and sometimes a bad apple slips through the system. Lastly though I will say that the majority of officers I've been able to work side by side with during my career would give their life to protect a stranger and work each day to protect and serve to their best ability.
Papa-t is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 09:50 AM   #51

I have learned not to volunteer information to LEO. If I am involved in a traffic accident I don't volunteer any information to anyone, I call 911 and when the LEO gets there I show him my license and insurance and the only one I tell what happened is my insurance agent. I know there are good cops out there just as there are bad ones but since I can't look inside there head and see which one I got, I just treat them all the same just like they are all bad. They are not going to search my truck or camper without a warrant. If they search it they had better leave it like they find it, there is no drugs in my camper. Now there might be some beer, wine or Jack Dan in the frig

spock123 is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 09:52 AM   #52

you have JD in the fridge?
that's well worth a LEO going to jail for unwarranted search and seizure....
Old 08-26-2015, 09:55 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-t View Post
I just retired from 30 years of Law Enforcement this past January. The laws are different for each state. Here in N.C. We can ask to search but if you refuse we would need a search warrant to search. Ok, being a officer this may shock some of you but if ask to search; I would say no. Ok Ok, wait before you start throwing doughnuts. LOL. Seriously though I have a good reason for my statement. Officers are people and sadly enough there are good honest ones that spend their career doing their best to help serve and protect. BUT, there are also bad ones that stain the whole community of brother hood of officers. We had an officer years ago that was actually investigated and convicted of planting drugs in people's vehicles to up his arrest record. He also was doing other things that I don't even want to talk about. So there are good officers and there are bad ones. If I were ever ask to search my vehicle or camper. I would not allow it. I on the other hand I would explain my reason for it. But as a citizen we all have rights to safe gard our property. I wish I could say; if you don't have anything to hide why would you refuse. That use to be my mentality as a young officer years ago but life isn't always fair or sometimes just and sometimes a bad apple slips through the system. Lastly though I will say that the majority of officers I've been able to work side by side with during my career would give their life to protect a stranger and work each day to protect and serve to their best ability.
happy retirement. in Canada we went healthy - we don't eat doughnuts any-more we eat bagels.

and I agree the good cops far outweigh the bad ones. unless you're in Mexico.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:58 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I'm not hiding anything, so what makes the difference? Why antagonize them? Let 'em search and go on your way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoneDude 8289 View Post
If they wanted to search I would think they would tell you what they were looking for. If you said no to the search I believe they could hold you till they get a warrant, the warrant would be specific as to what they were looking for. Guess I would tell them to have at it.

I think that the tone dictates the outcome of the "stop and search", if any needed. Some people just don't "click" when encountering LEO, they immediately become offensive just for being stopped. Which I understand living in this hectic world, as we do.

And then to the flip side, unfortunately there are those LEO who have Power Struggles within themselves. Which I also understand.

I have been stopped twice in my 40 years of driving due to mistaken identity of vehicles. And I was even stopped at the Canadian Border and searched. Protocol there. I have nothing to hide. I am law abiding "old school" citizen. I will let them search as long as I know there is some sort of respect involved. If not, then that's another story.
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 10:01 AM   #55

Quote:
I have learned not to volunteer information to LEO. If I am involved in a traffic accident I don't volunteer any information to anyone, I call 911 and when the LEO gets there I show him my license and insurance and the only one I tell what happened is my insurance agent. I know there are good cops out there just as there are bad ones but since I can't look inside there head and see which one I got, I just treat them all the same just like they are all bad.
This reasoning makes me shake my head. What if the LEO has the same thought? "I know there are good citizens out there just as there are bad ones but since I can't look inside their head and see which one I got, I just treat them all the same just like they are all bad."
Old 08-26-2015, 10:12 AM   #56
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie70 View Post
This reasoning makes me shake my head. What if the LEO has the same thought? "I know there are good citizens out there just as there are bad ones but since I can't look inside their head and see which one I got, I just treat them all the same just like they are all bad."
I shook my head as well... People complain we treat them badly, like they are all bad people and that it not right... But then say they treat us badly because we are all bad.. Guess it is a one way street.

I have been on the job now 10 years. been doing some sort of service to my community since 14 as a volunteer fireman. I have enjoyed every second of my job, never worked a day in my life so they say when you love your job..

Does not matter what you do you will never please them all... But that does not mean I will stop trying.

A friend sent me this video the other day about brutality. Not searching per say, but the idea that we all all roving bands of misfits is just not reality:

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 10:12 AM   #57
Georgia Rally Coordinator

No but also consideration would be taken as to what the circumstances are concerning the issue at hand. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing. Traded 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 10:15 AM   #58

Quote:
I have learned not to volunteer information to LEO. If I am involved in a traffic accident I don't volunteer any information to anyone, I call 911 and when the LEO gets there I show him my license and insurance and the only one I tell what happened is my insurance agent.

This makes absolutely no sense at all.

If I had felt the way you do when I was hit on the passengers side of my truck years ago by a woman trying pass me on the wrong side of a merging lane, and then telling the LEO it was MY FAULT, then I deserve what I would have gotten. I would have been stuck paying to fix the repairs.

In the end, the woman that hit me had Insurance that was pending from an Insurance Co. that she had just signed with. The reason for the "pending" was due to the fact that she was in a previous accident ( insurance dumped here afterwards ) that was "her fault" as well. She couldn't afford to have another accident.

So let's try and tell the LEO it was the other persons fault.

Had I not spoke up, maybe she would have gotten away with it. But it was evident she was in the wrong. I'm not keeping my mouth shut when it's something this important. BUT, to each their own!
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 10:23 AM   #59
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by philv View Post
As a retired Police Officer. I can say that there are no hard and fast answers to this interesting question.
The Courts have always lent more scrutiny in allowing Police officers as far as home searches then say vs a vehicle search. meaning that it would require a lot more probable cause to search a house vs. less probable cause to search say a vehicle. Each case is weighed on its own merit and interpretation.
When in doubt a warrant is always best, but not always required. There are things like whats called exigent circumstances etc. that weigh in the decision.
Plus there is always what is called "Consent to search". If you tell a Police Officer when he ask's "Can I search your home , RV, vehicle and you say yes. You have given consent. He / She does not need a warrant.
Plus keeping in mind that at a latter date a hearing can be given on the Officers "Right" to make that search. If the court rules it was not a proper or good search the evidence found can be excluded from trial or maybe cause a dismissal of charges. So there is no easy correct answer to this question. Every case and situation is different.
Correct.

dcheatwood is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 10:43 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by gljurczyk View Post
Have a question even through you do not have to allow an officer to inspect your car or trailer without a warrant. When you get pulled over and the office ask for your Lic. and Reg. at that time should you also present your CCW to him so he know you are armed?
In some states you must tell the officer... Its a duty to inform
Closed Thread