Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 01:22 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgman19 View Post
Very few CDNS carry guns anyway, so you really shouldn't need to protect yourselves from us!
So how exactly do I protect myself from the 'very few' that choose to break the law and carry guns illegally?
jgriffin7 is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 01:23 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by j free View Post
The police must have probable cause to want to search any vehicle and you have the right to say no at any time. However if they feel they do have probable cause they will hold you on the side of the road and get a warrant. This is not the same thing as a boarder crossing you have no say if your entering another country or California they just will not allow you to enter.
I apologize for posting again when I said that I would not and the Administrators can remove this if they wish.

We all need to have good information in anything that we do. Always be respectful to all LEOs. In the above post is a statement that may be taken out of context. The "you have the right to say NO at any time", may not be correct. If one gives implied or verbal consent to a search, at no time after that are you able to 'take that back' in order to say 'NO' any more. You gave up that Right of refusal when you first indicated a yes.

Be nice and respectful at all times and everyone will have a good day.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 01:24 PM   #83

As a former LEO, I would not consent to a search if asked.
Mtelkman is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 01:33 PM   #84

Search

Funny, I was broken down on I81 in VA, a trooper stopped helped me Diagnose the problem and went on his way. Never checked License or Registration. Could have looked in the truck with windows down, but didn't.
leland1950 is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 01:40 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgriffin7 View Post
So how exactly do I protect myself from the 'very few' that choose to break the law and carry guns illegally?
Run fast!!!! Just Kidding.
The same way the rest of us CDNs do. We pay attention to our surroundings, avoid the bad parts of town at night, don't get involved with drugs/dealers, etc... Generally, if someone wants to rob you, give them what they want and they will not hurt you - then call the police. There are no guarantees you wont accidentally find yourself in a high-risk situation up here, as in any city in the world, however, our violent crime rates are far lower than almost any US city/region - mostly gang related and domestics. The chances of you needing to protect yourself from us are miniscule. Come visit, enjoy yourselves, and RELAX! We like Americans (and your dollar!).

Nights Glamped - 2015 - 24
Nights Glamped - 2016 - 2018 - Seasonal
Nights Glamped - 2019 - on the road again!!
wpgman19 is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 01:45 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
I'm happy to hear statements like this! The more people who avoid traveling to Texas because of rumors they've heard, the more likely we natives are to find an open camp site!

If a LEO wants to inspect my truck or trailer, I'll permit it. Maybe I can ask his/her opinion on using nitrogen in my tires and on keeping my refrigerator running on propane when I travel.

Is a "boarder" a person who pays to stay in a boarding house? Just wondering.

It's not just rumors. I love TX and spent most of the 80's there. We planned to spend last winter in S. TX but left after having to go through several border patrol checks. When asked where we are going and where we have been then having the dogs check us out. My wife was followed 20 miles from town to the CG but not stopped. Not a coincidence as this is not a direct route.
I understand what they are doing and know there are people trying to get drugs and people across the border. My decision was to leave as I have absolutely no desire to live like that. I would be more than happy to clog up camp sites in the rest of the beautiful state but will never go anywhere near the border again.

Phil57 is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 01:50 PM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa-t View Post
I just retired from 30 years of Law Enforcement this past January. The laws are different for each state. Here in N.C. We can ask to search but if you refuse we would need a search warrant to search. Ok, being a officer this may shock some of you but if ask to search; I would say no. Ok Ok, wait before you start throwing doughnuts. LOL. Seriously though I have a good reason for my statement. Officers are people and sadly enough there are good honest ones that spend their career doing their best to help serve and protect. BUT, there are also bad ones that stain the whole community of brother hood of officers. We had an officer years ago that was actually investigated and convicted of planting drugs in people's vehicles to up his arrest record. He also was doing other things that I don't even want to talk about. So there are good officers and there are bad ones. If I were ever ask to search my vehicle or camper. I would not allow it. I on the other hand I would explain my reason for it. But as a citizen we all have rights to safe gard our property. I wish I could say; if you don't have anything to hide why would you refuse. That use to be my mentality as a young officer years ago but life isn't always fair or sometimes just and sometimes a bad apple slips through the system. Lastly though I will say that the majority of officers I've been able to work side by side with during my career would give their life to protect a stranger and work each day to protect and serve to their best ability.
Papa-T - your post is intriguing! Could you provide a script - from a LEO POV - of what to say when you courteously decline to have your RV or TV searched?
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 01:52 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
It's not just rumors. I love TX and spent most of the 80's there. We planned to spend last winter in S. TX but left after having to go through several border patrol checks. When asked where we are going and where we have been then having the dogs check us out. My wife was followed 20 miles from town to the CG but not stopped. Not a coincidence as this is not a direct route.
I understand what they are doing and know there are people trying to get drugs and people across the border. My decision was to leave as I have absolutely no desire to live like that. I would be more than happy to clog up camp sites in the rest of the beautiful state but will never go anywhere near the border again.
Curious which part of South Texas, which campground were you trying to visit?
2014 Wildwood 231RBXL - Traded Her In
2016 Days Camped = 5; Reserved = 14 so far
2015 Days Camped = 24 / 2014 Days Camped = 23
Mrs Evans is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 01:56 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
IMO, it's just not worth the hassle. Nothing will be gained and antagonizing LE is a good way to make it lead something worse. Most LE will tell you that no one can drive down the street very far without violating some regulation or law. Turn signal not on soon enough, equipment malfunction, weaving, etc, LE can find something if they want to.

X2. Have 2 brothers in LE. They get sent out to do a job. Let them do it!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
dj3spots is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 02:26 PM   #90

Remember the Fourth ammendment protects everyone from " UNREASONABLE search and seizure" Key word unreasonable. It does not say just search and seizure.

Interseting article :

http://www.marxrv.com/skp/4thamendment.htm
philv is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 02:30 PM   #91
Who Dares, Wins

I never did say on my previous post... I found not let them search my car either beca7se I appreciate my rights as liberty as well, that is why I vowed to protect it. But that being said you all make it sound like we are out to search everything we see. I cannot speak for the BP or other states... But around here searches are not the common, unless we have something else going on. I would never get anything done if I searched everything that came past me. When Interdiction is run on highways is most often when the searches occur for us. But with our training and knowledge it is almost a science, if I've asked to search I almost with certainly know I will find whatever I am looking for that day.

Other states have weird laws (to me) that I wonder about sometimes, like the guy who died in NY for untaxed smokes. That to me is a strange law. But he died not because of the law but resistance to arrest. People sometimes (often) get the policing they deserve.

To hint that there is a 1 to 1 ratio of good to bad is just ignorance to reality and may stem from a self induced problem brought on by ones wonderful personality. Most of us are here to do the job that is asked of us, handle others problems because cannot or will not. I was shot at by a Vietnam vet on new years day, in some people's logic that means all vets are bad... Which is obviously NOT the case.

When I became and officer I did not do so hoping to shoot someone or even need to use any force on them. Considering the hiring process I went through that took months I never would have made it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 02:33 PM   #92
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by philv View Post
Remember the Fourth ammendment protects everyone from " UNREASONABLE search and seizure" Key word unreasonable. It does not say just search and seizure.

Interseting article :

http://www.marxrv.com/skp/4thamendment.htm
Called the motor vehicle exception in regards to needing a warrant.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 02:43 PM   #93

I seem to remember a US Supreme Court decision about searching a car that the cops had to have that dog there, if the cops had to bring the dog it had better be just a few minutes, if not the cops had no case. I think it was unreasonable search.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 02:49 PM   #94

As I stated previously every situation is different. Depending on the situation just saying a blanket refusal to allow Police to search could possibly end with an arrest. Then weather justified or not could and probably would result in what is called "Search Incidental to arrest" which does not require a warrant. If the arrest is latter proven wrong then the search will as well.
Best advise I think is if you have nothing to hide allow Police to search. In my opinion allowing a search (Consent) I see as an excercise in your constitutional right. Its your choice to consent or not to consent.
philv is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 02:54 PM   #95
2003 Georgetown 325

CCW

Most States require that you tell the officer up front that you are legally carrying a weapon. Obviously, VA is an exception but it is a good practice to get into. Otherwise, things could get a little jittery.
reddiver is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 02:57 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountndream View Post
In some states you must tell the officer... Its a duty to inform
Funny thing, here in ID. you are required to inform that you are armed and hand over the permit first (with hands on the wheel) but they know who you are and that you do have a permit BEFORE they walk up to the door.

Nothing to hide but no reason to consent to a search of something I am not in.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:02 PM   #97
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post

We spent a week at Big Bend National Park two years ago. On our way from Terlingua to Alpine, we passed through a border patrol check-point. It took five minutes total including the expected 'where have you been?' and 'where are you going?' questions. I realize your experience is not like mine. The best trip I've had in the state was two weeks at Stonewall between Fredericksburg and Johnson City but even that was a 300 mile trip south of my house. I have no desire to camp any further south.

Not all cops are bad. Not all of Texas is worthless.

Sent (I think)

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 03:05 PM   #98
Paradise has arrived!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpd1343 View Post
I was a police officer so here goes. If we ask you, you do NOT have to let us. If we see you or a passenger trying to conceal something under the seat, etc., your vehicle WILL be searched. If we see something out in plain view in your vehicle or camper that is illegal, then it WILL be searched. If you are arrested, your vehicle and camper WILL be searched.
Retired detective here. This is exactly correct. If you don't do anything to arouse suspicion you are fine. Unfortunately drug runners do use campers and motorhomes for transport on the interstates. We had, and still have, a big problem with this from Miami to NYC on I 95.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:07 PM   #99
B47

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoneDude 8289 View Post
If they wanted to search I would think they would tell you what they were looking for. If you said no to the search I believe they could hold you till they get a warrant, the warrant would be specific as to what they were looking for. Guess I would tell them to have at it.
I have seen and heard similar remarks like yours " ...they could hold you till they get a warrant."

I often wonder how many times law enforcement personnel cannot get a warrant because a judge refuses to sign one. It almost seems to me that you never hear of a judge refusing to sign one.

Is getting a warrant mostly just a formality in the process or not? Replies from current or past law enforcement personnel would be appreciated.
B47 is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 03:21 PM   #100

We used to drive a 1972 Discoverer RV. Google it to see a spaceship-like camper on wheels. We stopped at a border patrol checkpoint and everyone came out to gawk and admire. I foolishly asked, "do you want to see the inside?" LOL!!! Our dogs came out and they piled in. We and the dogs stood in the sun for 10 minutes trying not to laugh. They damaged nothing and thanked us for the "tour." I never did THAT again!
Maggiewaggie is offline   Reply
Closed Thread