Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 03:35 PM   #101
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by spock123 View Post
I seem to remember a US Supreme Court decision about searching a car that the cops had to have that dog there, if the cops had to bring the dog it had better be just a few minutes, if not the cops had no case. I think it was unreasonable search.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
You are partially correct. I do not NEED a dog to use the motor vehicle exception, only need to meet the requirements as posted above. Where you are right us when a dog is called it can not extend the length of the stop beyond a bit longer than a regular stop, so yes just a few minutes. Up here there are very few dogs.. So rest easy on random sniff checks, with are also not legal here on a car stop. Need more than just reasonable suspicion to run a dog around your car. Again this is only here, every state is diffrent.

Here is PA you do jot need to inform and officer you are carrying. Depending on the interaction or context of the contact it may be advisable for your safety.. Do not need to get hurt if it gets spotted un expectedly...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 03:42 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I'm not hiding anything, so what makes the difference? Why antagonize them? Let 'em search and go on your way.
X3
Cypressloser is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 03:47 PM   #103
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
I have seen and heard similar remarks like yours " ...they could hold you till they get a warrant."

I often wonder how many times law enforcement personnel cannot get a warrant because a judge refuses to sign one. It almost seems to me that you never hear of a judge refusing to sign one.

Is getting a warrant mostly just a formality in the process or not? Replies from current or past law enforcement personnel would be appreciated.
If... I have PC for a warrant we cannot just hold someone til we get it from a judge on a car stop, that is unreasonable. Now this is for a search warrant mind you.. So no you will not be forced to wait while I get one. You will be free to leave but your car will not. It will be impounded.

Thus is why the vehicle exception exists. I can take your car for three days (making up a number) while I hope to get a warrant, may not, but probably will if my PC is strong. If I do and find nothingness you lost your car for three days.

Now, if I search with out warrant at the stop, I still need the same strong PC AND the above requirements. If I'd not have it and still search then the evidence I find, if any at all, is thrown out and I may face civil actions depending on the severity of my violation.

What is less intrusive? A or B?

Now I will also ammend my response to no search, it will depend on the reason. A prisoner escaped and they think he broke into my trailer or shed along the house... Here's the keys.. So it will. Depend on the situation and facts at hand.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 03:57 PM   #104

Rights

Yes we have the right to refuse. We also have the right to comply. In February, I was coming back from Phoenix with my TT in tow, stopped at a border-patrol control point, and was asked to pull over out of the way. I asked why and the officer said they wanted to check my trailer. I pulled over with some semis and parked. The dog walked around the trailer and didn't pause anywhere for any length of time. Another dog was brought around one of the trucks and stopped and barked. They couldn't tell if he barked at the truck, or at my trailer. The officer that had been around my trailer with his dog spoke to the other and they asked me to move back some for separation. They swapped... ie the dog that barked went around my trailer, and no reaction... The dog that had been around me went around the truck, stopped in the same spot, and barked.

Then they asked me if they could look through my trailer and truck. I asked if they really needed to, since the dog didn't actually stop at my trailer. He asked where I'd been... and I showed him my pickup bed full of model gliders, and explained where I'd been. He thanked me for my cooperation, and sent me on my way. The semi was being searched as I passed by, the driver was protesting but that's as much as I know... I definitely went on. In that situation, I would have requested a warrant, because they had no real probable cause. I'm not sure it would have been required of them.
schrederman is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 04:01 PM   #105
B47

Doc73 - thanks for replying. I find it somewhat amusing (from a glad it's not me side) that while a person cannot be held under certain circumstances,his/her vehicle will be impounded. This certainly imposes a great deal of inconvenience and expense on a person.

As far as getting or not getting a warrant,what has been your experience?
B47 is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 04:09 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
We spent a week at Big Bend National Park two years ago. On our way from Terlingua to Alpine, we passed through a border patrol check-point. It took five minutes total including the expected 'where have you been?' and 'where are you going?' questions. I realize your experience is not like mine. The best trip I've had in the state was two weeks at Stonewall between Fredericksburg and Johnson City but even that was a 300 mile trip south of my house. I have no desire to camp any further south.

Not all cops are bad. Not all of Texas is worthless.

Sent (I think)

Mr Dan I re read my post as I was afraid I had something I never intended to. I believe TX is on if the best states and absolutely love the people. That said the border in all border states is just not a place I want to be. I likewise will avoid all border areas. We lived in Austin and the hill country is a special place. We had hoped to spend time in the spring to see the wild flowers that Lady Byrd Johnson had such a huge love of.
So please don't think that I dislike TX. It's a wonderful place and if they ever do. Spit from the rest of the country I hope that they will let me in. LOL

Phil57 is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 04:18 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Mr Dan I re read my post as I was afraid I had something I never intended to. I believe TX is on if the best states and absolutely love the people. That said the border in all border states is just not a place I want to be. I likewise will avoid all border areas. We lived in Austin and the hill country is a special place. We had hoped to spend time in the spring to see the wild flowers that Lady Byrd Johnson had such a huge love of.
So please don't think that I dislike TX. It's a wonderful place and if they ever do. Spit from the rest of the country I hope that they will let me in. LOL
I was born in Texas, raised in Texas and with the exception of my lengthy time away to serve my country, live in Texas and it will 'always' be my home. BUT......I won't go near the border myself any more. Too much uncertainty in that area.....to me any way.

Little bit of thread theft, sorry

'Pa Pa's Palace'

2014 Sportscoach Crosscountry 405FK
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
CSMRetired is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 04:30 PM   #108
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Phil, I'm happy to report that I took your post as you intended it. I agreed/agree with your assessment of there being an imaginary line beyond which I won't travel. My Big Bend trip was in the family car and not with my truck and 5th wheel. My last line was a blind shot into a couple of previous squirrel nests!

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 04:34 PM   #109

Stupid thread closure threat

First, I must state that I have the utmost respect for our officers. Never let a law enforcement officer search without a warrant. There are many cases where illegal substances, cash, or explosives (mainly firearm loads) were found. You may have a pre-owned unit, or maybe a passenger dropped something. I have heard of a con on probation going to jail because of a .22 load found in carpet that he removed as part of his job.
LEO's can hold you for a reasonable time, and then have to charge you or allow you to go on your way.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:37 PM   #110
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by B47 View Post
Doc73 - thanks for replying. I find it somewhat amusing (from a glad it's not me side) that while a person cannot be held under certain circumstances,his/her vehicle will be impounded. This certainly imposes a great deal of inconvenience and expense on a person.

As far as getting or not getting a warrant,what has been your experience?
EXACTLY! This is why they allow this violation (for all intensive purposes) of the 4th amendment. The court feels us just looking and releasing if nothing found is better than a car in impound costing money...We would pay your bill if I found nothing, but we are NOT everyone!

Our DA (district attorney) prefers a seizing of the car and get a warrant. Which, I have had good luck with when done this way because, again, I am not a jack booted thug. If I am going through this trouble it is for a reason, not a hunch to ruin your day.

That said our common practice is to tell the person what is going to happen at that point, car seizure and such. Depending on circumstance I will just search OR more likely... Not to scare them but the truth in the matter... Then allow then the option to consent to the search to give them the choice to avoid the impounding... Again, NOT to force the search because if I had no reason to search then the asking consent would be thrown at me to suppress the evidence because I can not coerce someone into allowing a consent with threat of violence or worse treatment.. It is solely done to save then from loosing the car.

EDIT: most things we search for and find will only be a summons (not arrested on the spot) so they will be IDed and sent on their way pending charges being filed. So taking their car would really mess them up because it is not like theyd be in jail..

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 04:40 PM   #111

and if LE sees an open bottle of Rum or beer on the MH table?.....

2015 Coachmen Prism 24J MBS
USN-R '01-present
MarsMan is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 04:58 PM   #112
Moderator Emeritus

For the most part, this thread has continued to move along OK after my earlier warning to play nice. We have had to delete several controversial posts, and we will decide if a warning is warranted for those.

Again, play nice.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 04:59 PM   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsMan View Post
and if LE sees an open bottle of Rum or beer on the MH table?.....
Would that be attempting to bribe an officer?
Old 08-26-2015, 05:11 PM   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
EXACTLY! This is why they allow this violation (for all intensive purposes) of the 4th amendment. The court feels us just looking and releasing if nothing found is better than a car in impound costing money...We would pay your bill if I found nothing, but we are NOT everyone!

Our DA (district attorney) prefers a seizing of the car and get a warrant. Which, I have had good luck with when done this way because, again, I am not a jack booted thug. If I am going through this trouble it is for a reason, not a hunch to ruin your day.

That said our common practice is to tell the person what is going to happen at that point, car seizure and such. Depending on circumstance I will just search OR more likely... Not to scare them but the truth in the matter... Then allow then the option to consent to the search to give them the choice to avoid the impounding... Again, NOT to force the search because if I had no reason to search then the asking consent would be thrown at me to suppress the evidence because I can not coerce someone into allowing a consent with threat of violence or worse treatment.. It is solely done to save then from loosing the car.

EDIT: most things we search for and find will only be a summons (not arrested on the spot) so they will be IDed and sent on their way pending charges being filed. So taking their car would really mess them up because it is not like theyd be in jail..
I see, so you tell them in essence if you do not let me search now I will take it and search it when I am good and ready.
Could be today or next week or next month, I totally see where this is not a threat or intimidation.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:12 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Here is PA you do jot need to inform and officer you are carrying. Depending on the interaction or context of the contact it may be advisable for your safety.. Do not need to get hurt if it gets spotted un expectedly...
Not sure you're correct here. I was told that, if I'm pulled over here in PA, that I need to inform the officer first and foremost that I'm legally carrying and present him/her with my CCP along with the DL and registration. To do otherwise would land me in immediate trouble--or so I was told upon applying for the CCP.

As far as searching the RV--I would also politely refuse until a warrant was produced. Also, interdiction was mentioned a few threads back--please be careful (and avoid) carrying large amounts of cash out on the highways. If police find a large amount of cash, they can (correctly or incorrectly) surmise that its being involved in the commission (or result of) a crime, and they can seize it. It's a real headache to try and recover it, too. So no friendly searches for me. The cops are out there to protect and serve, but they are not necessarily looking out for your best interests. I like the sugggestion of controlling the conversation with meaningless questions--good call...
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 05:12 PM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgman19 View Post
If you cross into Canada, and wish to bring guns, you MUST apply for permits prior to your trip, and have the permits with you, and DECLARE fully that you have them when you meet the customs officer. Also, expect them to inspect your vehicles before they let you go. if you refuse inspection, you will be required to turn around and go back to the USA. Best option is to leave your firearms at home. Very few CDNS carry guns anyway, so you really shouldn't need to protect yourselves from us!

I am fully aware. Wouldn't even consider crossing the borders with a gun unless to hunt. I like to bow hunt or a guided service will provide the fireman from what I have been told.

Remember this OP asked about getting a gun across the border and the thread was removed.

Sounds like he should worry about leaving the country of Texas. He has not stated any info of CCW.

I don't care. I was never rude to the police and have not been treated rude by them either.

arpipeliner is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 05:28 PM   #117

I think if I get stopped by LEO the first thing I'm going to do is turn my camera on and that way I have a witness. Then if he asks to search truck I can take a video of me asking why and telling him in a nice way no. He does has to have probability cause. I have no gun and no drugs or alcohol in my truck where you can see. Beer, wine and Mr Jack will be in frig. I would not dare to drink and drive, not even a beer. I will be nice but I believe it's my constitution right not to submit to unlawful search. But it's also good to try to be nice, I just don't want any trouble.

spock123 is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 05:28 PM   #118

CARROLL VS. US , Federal case law decided by the Supreme Court. Clearly states that if an officer has established "articulate suspicion " he/ she may search a vehicle that is mobile ( ie : can be moved ) without a search warrant. The best is to always get a search warrant, however in remote locations it may not easily obtained. Courts across the nation have been upholding this law for years. Being in law enforcement for almost 40 years, I agree its subject for debate, however the Supreme Court case still remains in effect. ( I don't have a pat answer, I would ask LOTS of questions of the officer and probably ask that another officer be present , other than that you should comply.) The officer is limited to search areas that can conceal whatever contraband he is looking for.If he is looking for a stolen TV, he cannot look in you glove box. because a TV cannot be concealed in the glove box. However if he says he smells pot, that could be concealed any number of small places. I am sure this will cause a lot of "what if " questions,but that is the law.
Charles Firth is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 05:29 PM   #119

I will no longer allow a search. When I was younger, every time I would get pulled over for some minor issue I got searched along with my car. I did give permission each time and just thought that was the way things were. I was always polite and respectful, I figured that if I am doing wrong and they catch me it's not their fault. I also lived in a small town, less than 6000 people, so I knew some of the officers personally.

Later in life, after talking to people who do not look like bikers, I realized that none of them got searched when pulled over. My conclusion was that I was searched because of the way I looked. Now I still look that way but since I got married to a woman that looks like a schoolmarm they never even ask to search me. I guess I get some credibility from her.

Just as a an aside, nothing illegal was ever found on me or in my vehicle. Also, the reason for my "biker" look is that my hair is so curly that I get ingrown hairs into my neck that then get infected. I had two choices in my mind, shave every day or don't shave at all. Not shaving got the vote.
Filthy Beast is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 06:05 PM   #120

AG

If your not doing anything wrong, why worry about it. Police can search my trailer and truck anytime they want to.
Aggie Dad is offline   Reply
Closed Thread