Closed Thread
Old 08-26-2015, 12:29 PM   #71
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I'm not hiding anything, so what makes the difference? Why antagonize them? Let 'em search and go on your way.
This statement scares the hell out of me. Papers, please!!

jgriffin7 is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 12:33 PM   #72
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
Border patrol has some limited power to search within 100 miles of a border. But at the border, can search any vehicle coming across the border.
Hmmm. Tell that to the border patrol I saw last week on I-10 in Mississippi that was pulling over and searching RV's. Definitely more than 100 miles of a border...

jgriffin7 is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 12:42 PM   #73
unlawful search and seisure

Should the police in any state ask to search your RV....they MUST produce a warrant signed by a judge to do so ! to get into Canada or get back in the states a different story.
juice5 is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 12:45 PM   #74
The police must have probable cause to want to search any vehicle and you have the right to say no at any time. However if they feel they do have probable cause they will hold you on the side of the road and get a warrant. This is not the same thing as a boarder crossing you have no say if your entering another country or California they just will not allow you to enter.
j free is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 12:51 PM   #75
I have been to California a few times and never been stopped

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2015 Cedar Creek 32RL
2012 Silverado 3500HD SRW
spock123 is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 12:55 PM   #76
California boarder crossing for out of state plants and fruit. Not allowed in this state.
j free is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 01:08 PM   #77
My job is not satisfying a bored LEO's idle curiosity. If there is probable cause, then convince a judge, get a warrant and bring a second officer to the search. Always be respectful but remember that the LEO's are OUR employees and must respect us also.
BobHanke is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 01:14 PM   #78
Site Team
Originally Posted by stormy2000 View Post
I already crossed out tx too many rules from what i heard. Would want a warrant though.
I'm happy to hear statements like this! The more people who avoid traveling to Texas because of rumors they've heard, the more likely we natives are to find an open camp site!

If a LEO wants to inspect my truck or trailer, I'll permit it. Maybe I can ask his/her opinion on using nitrogen in my tires and on keeping my refrigerator running on propane when I travel.

Is a "boarder" a person who pays to stay in a boarding house? Just wondering.
SEARCH is your friend!
FR Wildcat 295RSX / GMC Sierra

Nights Camped: 2013 = 49 / 2014 = 74 / 2015 = 74 / 2016 = 74 (booked = 11)
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 01:14 PM   #79
I used to believe the same as several others; I've done nothing illegal, I'm doing nothing illegal, therefore search away.
In light of events of recent years, I now feel differently. If they want to search my rig, a warrant will be required. If I have to sit there a while, so be it. I will not freely give up my constitutional rights. I have several LEO friends, and they actually agree with me.

Here's the thing; Yes, most cops are good folks...however, it just takes that one cop to possibly ruin your life. Example; When you travel, do you keep ALL of your medicines in the container they were purchased in? Or do you use one of these plastic walmart containers where you divvy out your meds for each day? "IF" you have pills...(could be an aspirin, or hydrocodone) that are not in the original container and clearly marked with your name, then you have broken the law in most states, and they can prosecute you accordingly. Yes, you can probably get out of trouble by producing said prescription or original container, but your vacation will be ruined and your life will be a mess for weeks or months. And the cost will be high. lawyers are running around $250 an hour these days...some are higher.

Nope, no searches of my stuff without that warrant.

Having said that, I will be as cordial and pleasant as possible. I will not behave antagonisticly or confrontational at all. I will politely identify myself, show them my drivers license along with my CHP, and inform the officer where the firearm is located. But I will politely decline to answer almost anything else. My business is none of his business. Making small talk can get you in trouble as well. I might discuss the weather, but little else.
I will try to politely maintain control of the conversation by asking him how his day is going. How does he like the vehicle he's driving. Has there been many wrecks on this stretch of highway....etc... there's no end of questions I can think of .

Anything else is up to him or her.

Having said that, I understand that they can bring the dog in, and the dogs handler can get the dog to bark at the right time and right place giving them probable cause. If they really want to search, they matter what i think. They will still have to go through the right steps. That dog might be hours away, and this officer would also be just hanging out until the dog was on site..... Might be more inconvenience for him than me....I can always go inside the coach and make a sandwich....

my 2 pennies....
2016 Ford F-350 Lariat CC, 4x4 SRW. B&W turnover with extender. 2015 CC Silverback 29RE, fitted with Reese Goose Box. Amateur Extra Class K5TS, 2016 nights camped 16
Davidg is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 01:18 PM   #80
Originally Posted by arpipeliner View Post
Only seen the police stop at a wide spot where I stopped to see if needed help. Told him I was closing and looking a door on the side of the camper I had missed. He just was offering to get help if I needed it. Thanked him and was ready to go he went the other way and I came home. Never paid attention to see if he was state or county.

A buddy that exaggerates coming for NJ had his searched. He had turkey hunting gun and stuff along with other guns. They cared less. They wanted a dog to check for drugs. He was whining about hair in the camper and they had opened up everything. He is a professional whiner.

I don't know anyone who has crossed the border either. So no help there. If guns. Have concealed carry and stored properly. The police are trained to watch your eyes. If you look where you are worried about you should have told them cause you did with out saying. CDL issue there.

In campground there were welding leads stolen and police were just stopping to ask others and warn. I told them to help themselves. The guns are in case. Beer in the fridge with Johnny Walker. They laughed and went on I was cooking my steak and ready to eat.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
If you cross into Canada, and wish to bring guns, you MUST apply for permits prior to your trip, and have the permits with you, and DECLARE fully that you have them when you meet the customs officer. Also, expect them to inspect your vehicles before they let you go. if you refuse inspection, you will be required to turn around and go back to the USA. Best option is to leave your firearms at home. Very few CDNS carry guns anyway, so you really shouldn't need to protect yourselves from us!

2014 Rockwood 8310SS Diamond
2014 F-150 Super Cab Ecoboost w/Max Tow

Nights Glamped - 2015 - 24
Nights Glamped - 2016 - 4
wpgman19 is offline   Reply
Closed Thread