Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 10:48 AM   #61
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountndream View Post
In some states you must tell the officer... Its a duty to inform
Handgunlaw.us is a good source, they seem pretty up to date and correct here in the Keystone state.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 11:45 AM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briorick View Post
This makes absolutely no sense at all.

If I had felt the way you do when I was hit on the passengers side of my truck years ago by a woman trying pass me on the wrong side of a merging lane, and then telling the LEO it was MY FAULT, then I deserve what I would have gotten. I would have been stuck paying to fix the repairs.

In the end, the woman that hit me had Insurance that was pending from an Insurance Co. that she had just signed with. The reason for the "pending" was due to the fact that she was in a previous accident ( insurance dumped here afterwards ) that was "her fault" as well. She couldn't afford to have another accident.

So let's try and tell the LEO it was the other persons fault.

Had I not spoke up, maybe she would have gotten away with it. But it was evident she was in the wrong. I'm not keeping my mouth shut when it's something this important. BUT, to each their own!

It doesn't really matter what you say, it only matters in court. You can tell your side all you want if the cop can't figure it out then I don't argue with no one. I let the cop do his job and I tell my insurance agent what happened and let the insurance people fight it out. There is some crazy people out there. I want no trouble when I'm on the road. Insurance company says talk to no one but them and that's what I do

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
spock123 is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 11:51 AM   #63

Interesting topic...
When traveling recently, we entered into California, they asked at the border if we had any fresh fruit or veggies with us. And asked if he could look in the RV refrigerator and our ice chests. I said "Sure, no problem" and proceeded to open the door of the WJ and then the refrigerator; he didn't touch anything, just looked. Then the very nice man said thank you, complimented how nice the WJ was, and passed us through. I don't have an issue with this at all because CA has been doing produce checks for years, and it is just routine.

I am pretty sure this thread is asking about Police entering the RV during a routine traffic stop; I would want to know why before I allowed them to do so. They may be looking for a stow away or escapee that could have gotten into the RV without your knowing (not likely, but possible). If they couldn't explain why adequately, then I think it is time to call the attorney. Again, if you are in the process of committing a crime as a poster stated, then they WILL search you and your RV eventually and you will still need an attorney.
D_B Travelers is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 11:55 AM   #64

Wow.. its jus myself wife and our 2 dogs but wouldn't want our 5th tore up for no reason. She was thinking of going by az will have to show her this and maybe rethink az. I already crossed out tx too many rules from what i heard. Would want a warrant though.
stormy2000 is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 12:16 PM   #65

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Border Stop

First time ever stopped by US Border Patrol this past July, I have never been stopped beyond the 1st inspection point in my entire life. They were looking for more than eggs and chicken.The scan for heat signature through the RV and must have seen something odd.

Only choice I had was to allow this happen, I am a visitor in the US and must abide by the law of the land. As far as a roadside stop if I encounter such I have no way to plead the 5th and would allow police to do a search if requested.

I have traveled world wide any many a time had inspections of either luggage or tool boxes.

A relevant comment I must share reading a lot of people feel it is their right to take what they want to Canada and getting mad when searched and having fire arms confiscated. That is our law much the same as California might take my lettuce and oranges at the state border to protect their agriculture.

Respect goes a long way.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 12:16 PM   #66
Steelhorzz

Just be honest with me...

I have no problem letting any officer search my vehicles if they just tell me what they are looking for. (I'll just make sure to tell them where the weapons are before they search).

We did have one encounter I thought was a bit strange.
My wife and I were traveling thru New Mexico north of Las Cruces. There is a checkpoint by White Sands where you are routed off the freeway and have no choice but to go thru.
As we pulled in there was a car in front of us that was being "sniffed" by a dog.
One of the officers walked up to my window and asks us where we were from. He then said if I would wait a minute while they got the dog out of the way, then we could be on our way.

I told my wife we were going to be there for a few minutes. She asked why? I told her to look out the side mirror. They had the dog sniffing the RV and our toad.
I couldn't figure out why he just didn't tell me they were going to do it beforehand.
Guess he thought if I were a criminal I would have floored it and escaped with my 53 foot, 30,000 pound rig.
- LOL 😁
Steelhorzz is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 12:17 PM   #67

Police

Yes police would get my full cooperation they are there to serve and protect
Boso is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 12:20 PM   #68

Search

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpd1343 View Post
I was a police officer so here goes. If we ask you, you do NOT have to let us. If we see you or a passenger trying to conceal something under the seat, etc., your vehicle WILL be searched. If we see something out in plain view in your vehicle or camper that is illegal, then it WILL be searched. If you are arrested, your vehicle and camper WILL be searched.
X2
fbconsults is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 12:21 PM   #69
Mod free 5er

I think there is a lot of smoke and bluster being expelled here.

You may refuse and end up in jail/court and in the end, what was proven?
OldCoot is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 12:26 PM   #70

I know this has been posted before, but I think it captures the tension between citizens and LEOs/prosecutors. The first half is an amusing presentation by a law school prof and the second by a LEO.

2015 Flagstaff 8528RKWS fiver
2013 Ram 2500 CTD Laramie CC SB 4WD Auto
cbconway is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 12:29 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
I'm not hiding anything, so what makes the difference? Why antagonize them? Let 'em search and go on your way.
This statement scares the hell out of me. Papers, please!!
jgriffin7 is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 12:33 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5moab View Post
Border patrol has some limited power to search within 100 miles of a border. But at the border, can search any vehicle coming across the border.
Hmmm. Tell that to the border patrol I saw last week on I-10 in Mississippi that was pulling over and searching RV's. Definitely more than 100 miles of a border...
jgriffin7 is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 12:42 PM   #73

unlawful search and seisure

Should the police in any state ask to search your RV....they MUST produce a warrant signed by a judge to do so ! to get into Canada or get back in the states a different story.
juice5 is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 12:45 PM   #74

The police must have probable cause to want to search any vehicle and you have the right to say no at any time. However if they feel they do have probable cause they will hold you on the side of the road and get a warrant. This is not the same thing as a boarder crossing you have no say if your entering another country or California they just will not allow you to enter.
j free is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 12:51 PM   #75

I have been to California a few times and never been stopped

spock123 is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 12:55 PM   #76

California boarder crossing for out of state plants and fruit. Not allowed in this state.
j free is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 01:08 PM   #77

My job is not satisfying a bored LEO's idle curiosity. If there is probable cause, then convince a judge, get a warrant and bring a second officer to the search. Always be respectful but remember that the LEO's are OUR employees and must respect us also.
BobHanke is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 01:14 PM   #78
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy2000 View Post
I already crossed out tx too many rules from what i heard. Would want a warrant though.
I'm happy to hear statements like this! The more people who avoid traveling to Texas because of rumors they've heard, the more likely we natives are to find an open camp site!

If a LEO wants to inspect my truck or trailer, I'll permit it. Maybe I can ask his/her opinion on using nitrogen in my tires and on keeping my refrigerator running on propane when I travel.

Is a "boarder" a person who pays to stay in a boarding house? Just wondering.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 01:14 PM   #79

I used to believe the same as several others; I've done nothing illegal, I'm doing nothing illegal, therefore search away.
In light of events of recent years, I now feel differently. If they want to search my rig, a warrant will be required. If I have to sit there a while, so be it. I will not freely give up my constitutional rights. I have several LEO friends, and they actually agree with me.

Here's the thing; Yes, most cops are good folks...however, it just takes that one cop to possibly ruin your life. Example; When you travel, do you keep ALL of your medicines in the container they were purchased in? Or do you use one of these plastic walmart containers where you divvy out your meds for each day? "IF" you have pills...(could be an aspirin, or hydrocodone) that are not in the original container and clearly marked with your name, then you have broken the law in most states, and they can prosecute you accordingly. Yes, you can probably get out of trouble by producing said prescription or original container, but your vacation will be ruined and your life will be a mess for weeks or months. And the cost will be high. lawyers are running around $250 an hour these days...some are higher.

Nope, no searches of my stuff without that warrant.

Having said that, I will be as cordial and pleasant as possible. I will not behave antagonisticly or confrontational at all. I will politely identify myself, show them my drivers license along with my CHP, and inform the officer where the firearm is located. But I will politely decline to answer almost anything else. My business is none of his business. Making small talk can get you in trouble as well. I might discuss the weather, but little else.
I will try to politely maintain control of the conversation by asking him how his day is going. How does he like the vehicle he's driving. Has there been many wrecks on this stretch of highway....etc... there's no end of questions I can think of .

Anything else is up to him or her.

Having said that, I understand that they can bring the dog in, and the dogs handler can get the dog to bark at the right time and right place giving them probable cause. If they really want to search, they will....no matter what i think. They will still have to go through the right steps. That dog might be hours away, and this officer would also be just hanging out until the dog was on site..... Might be more inconvenience for him than me....I can always go inside the coach and make a sandwich....

my 2 pennies....
Old 08-26-2015, 01:18 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by arpipeliner View Post
Only seen the police stop at a wide spot where I stopped to see if needed help. Told him I was closing and looking a door on the side of the camper I had missed. He just was offering to get help if I needed it. Thanked him and was ready to go he went the other way and I came home. Never paid attention to see if he was state or county.

A buddy that exaggerates coming for NJ had his searched. He had turkey hunting gun and stuff along with other guns. They cared less. They wanted a dog to check for drugs. He was whining about hair in the camper and they had opened up everything. He is a professional whiner.

I don't know anyone who has crossed the border either. So no help there. If guns. Have concealed carry and stored properly. The police are trained to watch your eyes. If you look where you are worried about you should have told them cause you did with out saying. CDL issue there.

In campground there were welding leads stolen and police were just stopping to ask others and warn. I told them to help themselves. The guns are in case. Beer in the fridge with Johnny Walker. They laughed and went on I was cooking my steak and ready to eat.

If you cross into Canada, and wish to bring guns, you MUST apply for permits prior to your trip, and have the permits with you, and DECLARE fully that you have them when you meet the customs officer. Also, expect them to inspect your vehicles before they let you go. if you refuse inspection, you will be required to turn around and go back to the USA. Best option is to leave your firearms at home. Very few CDNS carry guns anyway, so you really shouldn't need to protect yourselves from us!

Nights Glamped - 2015 - 24
Nights Glamped - 2016 - 2018 - Seasonal
Nights Glamped - 2019 - on the road again!!
wpgman19 is offline   Reply
Closed Thread