Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 06:17 PM   #121
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
I see, so you tell them in essence if you do not let me search now I will take it and search it when I am good and ready.
Could be today or next week or next month, I totally see where this is not a threat or intimidation.
Yes and no, it is nothing more than the truth that is being told to the person in question. It is simply to save them from loosing the car while I get the warrant. Again, I cannot lie to them to force a consent search, well I could but it would not end well for me. If I did the first thing ANY defense lawyer would do is bring the fact up that I did this then see what PC I had. If I'd had none and coerced the search I would be in hot water and the defendant would be cleared. It is in essence nothing more than educating them to what WILL be happening and allow them the chance to at least keep their car.

And no I can not just take your car and keep it forever the warrant needs to be filed in a "reasonable time" as well. I do not know what it is (never needed to know) because my warrants are on the desk to go to the court that shift but my impression is in by the end of the court's closing (if at night or weekend the end of the next court day).

AGAIN, PA LAW..

Also.. Taranwanderer
Not law in PA, not sure who told you that. As I said, it is recommended sometimes to avoid trouble depending on circumstance but not big trouble (you prob mean arrest). If it was a PA Sheriff they are not police so I would not necessarily trust everything they provide. Most cops do not know many of the gun laws either though... They are a bit convoluted and change constantly. I try to keep up and I do not even get half of them. When they change they usually take up to a year to get the new info out to us..

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 06:18 PM   #122

So from what I'm reading here some US citizens would give up their IV Amendment right? I cant imagine why anyone would voluntarily waive one single Constitutional right. If an officer believes he has probable cause, let him present it to a Judge and get a warrant.

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie Longhorn 4 x 4
6.4 Hemi 410 HP, 410 Rear Axle
gashog is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 06:19 PM   #123
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by gashog View Post
So from what I'm reading here some US citizens would give up their IV Amendment right? I cant imagine why anyone would voluntarily waive one single Constitutional right. If an officer believes he has probable cause, let him present it to a Judge and get a warrant.
Yeah it would surprise you how many people would be willing to allow ANY right to be given up... 1st through the rest...

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 06:30 PM   #124

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgriffin7 View Post
So how exactly do I protect myself from the 'very few' that choose to break the law and carry guns illegally?
It is against the law to bring your gun. We generally do not have shoot outs on city streets let alone in a campground. Like any city there are bad areas and good research prior to your trip would allow you to avoid issues.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 06:33 PM   #125
Who Dares, Wins

Hate to break it to you but more bad things happen in places where everyone says it can never happen... Often worse than the big cities. That being said, different country (city, state, whatever) different laws.. Follow them or do not go, your choice.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 06:36 PM   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgman19 View Post
Run fast!!!! Just Kidding.
The same way the rest of us CDNs do. We pay attention to our surroundings, avoid the bad parts of town at night, don't get involved with drugs/dealers, etc... Generally, if someone wants to rob you, give them what they want and they will not hurt you - then call the police. There are no guarantees you wont accidentally find yourself in a high-risk situation up here, as in any city in the world, however, our violent crime rates are far lower than almost any US city/region - mostly gang related and domestics. The chances of you needing to protect yourself from us are miniscule. Come visit, enjoy yourselves, and RELAX! We like Americans (and your dollar!).
Having been in your fine City the worst trouble you will get is kiiler gangs of Mosquitos! A beautiful city IMHO!
Old 08-26-2015, 06:37 PM   #127
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
Having been in your fine City the worst trouble you will get is kiiler gangs of Mosquitos! A beautiful city IMHO!
And those gangs ARE BRUTAL!!! AND BLOOD THIRSTY!!!

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 06:53 PM   #128

Quote:
It is against the law to bring your gun. We generally do not have shoot outs on city streets let alone in a campground. Like any city there are bad areas and good research prior to your trip would allow you to avoid issues.

Without wanting to push the boundaries of the what is acceptable here, all I will resectively say is learn the laws when crossing the border either way. It is not "against the law" to travel with firearms from the USA into Canada or vice-versa, so long as know the specifics of what types of firearms you can bring across the border and have the right paperwork from the country you are entering.

As far as allowing a police officer entry into my travel trailer here in Canada...not without a legal piece of paper saying they have the right to do so. I've got no issues with police, am friendly and cordial if/when I am stopped, but all I am going to hand over are my drivers license and insurance which I am legally obligated to do.
trikebubble is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 07:05 PM   #129

Quote:
Originally Posted by howie70 View Post
So you witness a crime you're not going to say anything?

Sounds to me you were arrested in the past and did not agree with it. The courts are available to hear your grievance with the arrest. Be thankful they are only a call away and willing to come to your aid! Thank you ALL law enforcement officers!!!!!!!
l001952119 is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 07:15 PM   #130

I am surprised it made it this long. Kinda harsh and rude.

Phil57 is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 07:23 PM   #131
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
I am surprised it made it this long. Kinda harsh and rude.
I do not think it is harsh or rude. As a forum member and leo I find it interesting to see what people take is on these things. It is also interesting to see the things people believe as true because they heard a rumor.. Or had a friend who knew a guy who had a friend... LOL

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 07:44 PM   #132

Police

The police may search my RV anytime. I have nothing to hide and am proud to support our law enforcement officers. I am just grateful that these fine men and women are out there protecting me while the media and the trash make it difficult, dangerous and unappreciated for them to do their jobs.
Hannah is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 07:47 PM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
I do not think it is harsh or rude. As a forum member and leo I find it interesting to see what people take is on these things. It is also interesting to see the things people believe as true because they heard a rumor.. Or had a friend who knew a guy who had a friend... LOL

Now the post above you, a bit bellow the belt but the mods are monitoring I am sure...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Doc73 I was referring to the shut up remark. We can disagree but no need to be rude.

Phil57 is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 07:48 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKRITTER View Post
No no no no no no

Always always always be very respectful with any police officer but please realize they are highly trained and if you are not an attorney you are not.

If they are asking they do not have the right. Never give an officer permission to search anything make them go through the legal process and get an attorney immediately to represent you.
x2
woodsman is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 07:48 PM   #135

My wife and I had what we thought was an unreasonable delay when crossing into canada about a month ago at the Soo in mi.I pull up to the booth and kill the motor because the 7.3 is a straight thru system and its hard to hear anyone thats 3 feet away from the truck.I present a folder with passports,birth certificates,insurance info,registration,dog shot records,baisicly everything we could possibly need.He looks at the passports,ignors everything else and asks all the usual questions twice,gets the same answer twice.He then asks if either of us has ever been fingerprinted,I say no. He hands the folder back,and puts on latex gloves and asks for our drivers licenses.I hand them over and am told to pull up to the turn out area and wait.A female officer comes over to the truck and again asks for our pasports and has the latex gloves. We are told to follow her to the"building on our right". my wife asks if we both need to come because it is about 95 degrees out and my truck ac doesnt work.She says we cant leave the dogs in the truck w/o windows down and cant run them all the way down for fear of an injury while they would try to get out.The "officer" tells my wife to just leave the dogs and come with me. the wife says we cant leave them in this kind of heat,the "officer" just shrugs her shoulders and walks twoard the building.We get in the building,are told to "sit" and we wait for about a half hr.She comes back out and asks if either of us has ever been arrested to which I reply "no".She hands back our ID's and flops her hand at us and says "go". At no time did anyone look at the truck or toyhauler or even mention it.It was like we walked in and were walking out.This took a bit over two hrs and we left.Now as you can see in my avitar,I dont LOOK like my buissiness man (even though I was, and damn good at it).I had my cut off jeans , sleeveles black tee and a sweat band that I wear to keep my hair out of my eyes when driveing with the widows down.I am 100% sure that they ran whatever prints I left on the ID's I handed them and were REALLY pissed off because they could find nothing.

Just our latest experience while going to Canada.
trbomax is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 07:59 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Also.. Taranwanderer
Not law in PA, not sure who told you that. As I said, it is recommended sometimes to avoid trouble depending on circumstance but not big trouble (you prob mean arrest). If it was a PA Sheriff they are not police so I would not necessarily trust everything they provide. Most cops do not know many of the gun laws either though... They are a bit convoluted and change constantly. I try to keep up and I do not even get half of them. When they change they usually take up to a year to get the new info out to us..
Thanks for the updated information, doc. I'm not sure if it's like this in every county, but here in Luzerne, the issuing authority is the Sheriff's office. I'm thinking that I will continue to present it to them if pulled over anyway. I think it goes a long way towards putting the officer at ease, knowing that you've gone through the permitting process and the background check.

Still no-go on the search, though...
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 08:00 PM   #137

Quote:
First time ever stopped by US Border Patrol this past July, I have never been stopped beyond the 1st inspection point in my entire life. They were looking for more than eggs and chicken.The scan for heat signature through the RV and must have seen something odd.

Only choice I had was to allow this happen, I am a visitor in the US and must abide by the law of the land. As far as a roadside stop if I encounter such I have no way to plead the 5th and would allow police to do a search if requested.

I have traveled world wide any many a time had inspections of either luggage or tool boxes.

A relevant comment I must share reading a lot of people feel it is their right to take what they want to Canada and getting mad when searched and having fire arms confiscated. That is our law much the same as California might take my lettuce and oranges at the state border to protect their agriculture.

Respect goes a long way.
Just to help you understand our 5th amenment rights here. People do not have 5th amendment rights, unless they are told, or they reasonably believe they are suspected of a criminal act. Simply asking the officer this basic question, will keep you informed of the situation in the instant.

If the line of questioning by the officer, not border patrol, is meant to obtain general information, based on the purpose of the stop, the person being asked does not have 5th amenment rights. Believe me, most americans don't know that either.
Still Kickin is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 08:10 PM   #138

Unless they produce a warrant, don't allow them to search. Further, do not talk to them.
slipf18 is offline   Reply
Old 08-26-2015, 08:14 PM   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by Still Kickin View Post
Just to help you understand our 5th amenment rights here. People do not have 5th amendment rights, unless they are told, or they reasonably believe they are suspected of a criminal act. Simply asking the officer this basic question, will keep you informed of the situation in the instant.

If the line of questioning by the officer, not border patrol, is meant to obtain general information, based on the purpose of the stop, the person being asked does not have 5th amenment rights. Believe me, most americans don't know that either.
Thank you very much!
Old 08-26-2015, 08:16 PM   #140
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Doc73 I was referring to the shut up remark. We can disagree but no need to be rude.
Sorry, misunderstood, yes that was rude I agree... I thought you meant the thread as a whole. My misunderstanding, sorry.

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply
Closed Thread